The Student Room Group

Doing A-level Chemistry, Biology and Physics

I applied to study chemistry, biology and physics A-level, however I only did additional (double award) science at GCSE. Will this put me in disadvantage and will I find my subjects more difficult? What should I do to be on the same level as people who did triple science?
I did all three of those A-Levels (plus maths, I have four full A-Levels) and only did additional science at GCSE as my school didn't offer triple. I found I was at no disadvantage, but I did get an A* in that GCSE.
I'm in the same situation, I really regret not choosing triple science, I was in top set but in year nine I just didn't think I wanted to do science :frown: so regretting that now, I want to do physics next year and don't want to be behind because of not doing seperate
I've chosen those three subjects with maths, although I did triple science at GCSE, plenty of people in my classes did double. I've no doubt your teachers, both current and future, will agree that you should cope with the work fine.
(I've just completed AS level, by the way)
Original post by pineneedles
I've chosen those three subjects with maths, although I did triple science at GCSE, plenty of people in my classes did double. I've no doubt your teachers, both current and future, will agree that you should cope with the work fine.
(I've just completed AS level, by the way)

I understand you don't have your results yet, but how did the people who done double science find the work? Or how did they perform in mocks and other tests?
To be honest, just work hard and be positive.

You are picking three demanding subjects and I don't think you should worry about not doing triple science and thinking about being at a disadvantage because if you just focus on the subjects as it will come out good in the end.
Original post by Jamesstanley0
I understand you don't have your results yet, but how did the people who done double science find the work? Or how did they perform in mocks and other tests?

As far as I can tell there's no marked difference between the results of people who did triple science and those who didn't. Next week I'll see if I can talk to some of these people and get some comments on how prepared they felt they were.
Here are comments on entry requirements for A Level sciences if it reassures you:

"Minimum of grade B in Chemistry at GCSE level or grades of BB from GCSE Dual Science."
"B in GCSE Chemistry, or BB in Core and Additional, and a C in Maths."
"Grade B in GCSE Physics or grades of BB from GCSE Dual Science."

So you can gather that core alone wouldn't be enough, but dual is just fine, they wouldn't agree to let you sit the course if you didn't have the backround knowledge :h:
As far as I can tell there's no marked difference between the results of people who did triple science and those who didn't. Next week I'll see if I can talk to some of these people and get some comments on how prepared they felt they were.
Here are comments on entry requirements for A Level sciences if it reassures you:

"Minimum of grade B in Chemistry at GCSE level or grades of BB from GCSE Dual Science."
"B in GCSE Chemistry, or BB in Core and Additional, and a C in Maths."
"Grade B in GCSE Physics or grades of BB from GCSE Dual Science."

So you can gather that core alone wouldn't be enough, but dual is just fine, they wouldn't agree to let you sit the course if you didn't have the backround knowledge :h:

Thank you! I have got a B in core from last year but looking back I'm disappointed, I didn't do no work for it as I really didn't take it seriously at all, but this year for additional I worked so hard like seriously, so hopefully I do well, I'll have to see what I get in August but until then I can only hope. It's hard because people tell me I'll be fine and then others say don't do it your asking to fail
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak
I applied to study chemistry, biology and physics A-level, however I only did additional (double award) science at GCSE. Will this put me in disadvantage and will I find my subjects more difficult? What should I do to be on the same level as people who did triple science?

There might be a slight initial disadvantage but it's nothing serious. I know that CGP publishes GCSE to AS transition guides so you might want to have a look at those to make sure you've got all the knowledge you need.
Original post by Jamesstanley0
Thank you! I have got a B in core from last year but looking back I'm disappointed, I didn't do no work for it as I really didn't take it seriously at all, but this year for additional I worked so hard like seriously, so hopefully I do well, I'll have to see what I get in August but until then I can only hope. It's hard because people tell me I'll be fine and then others say don't do it your asking to fail

Honestly the only reason I'd say not to do it is if you didn't feel prepared to put the work in, if you are and this is what you want to do, go ahead!
Good luck with your results :h:
Honestly the only reason I'd say not to do it is if you didn't feel prepared to put the work in, if you are and this is what you want to do, go ahead!
Good luck with your results :h:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest