The Student Room Group

He has depression, what shall I do?

I've known to realise my bf has got some kind of state depression and i think its starting to effect our relationship and I'm extremely worried.

I really love him and he loves me too he tells me this all the time but recently ive noticed he's not been himself. He's been constantly ignoring me, and all my calls/texts im currently at uni so i don't get to see him much either... Last time we met he was fine and we were all loved up and really happy... one of my guy friends text me and i had left my phone besides his bed and he saw the message it was nothing major, he was just one of my close friends from uni in fact the text said " hey g what u upto?" he saw the text and asked me about who this guy was and i told him he was just a friend.

after that he was fine we still had a really good time i stayed over and we had an amazing night... then i left once again as i had to get back to uni i text him a few times after hes not been relying to me? Could this have anything to do with the text from my friend? im so worried... Ive also noticed he's been really cold on all his social media sites aswell, he tweeted the other day "depression has me" what is this suppose to mean? why wont he tell me anything? When people have depression is it best to leave them alone? im so confused on what to do? im really worried for him someone help me
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've known to realise my bf has got some kind of state depression and i think its starting to effect our relationship and I'm extremely worried.

I really love him and he loves me too he tells me this all the time but recently ive noticed he's not been himself. He's been constantly ignoring me, and all my calls/texts im currently at uni so i don't get to see him much either... Last time we met he was fine and we were all loved up and really happy... one of my guy friends text me and i had left my phone besides his bed and he saw the message it was nothing major, he was just one of my close friends from uni in fact the text said " hey g what u upto?" he saw the text and asked me about who this guy was and i told him he was just a friend.

after that he was fine we still had a really good time i stayed over and we had an amazing night... then i left once again as i had to get back to uni i text him a few times after hes not been relying to me? Could this have anything to do with the text from my friend? im so worried... Ive also noticed he's been really cold on all his social media sites aswell, he tweeted the other day "depression has me" what is this suppose to mean? why wont he tell me anything? When people have depression is it best to leave them alone? im so confused on what to do? im really worried for him someone help me

If you feel that the depression is severe and clinical, then I would seek help. I know people who have been with mentally ill people in relationships and all it took was for them to see a psychiatrist so they can get the medication they need.
He doesnt necessarily have depression, but it may be that something is on his mind. Theres only so much you can do to be honest- he should get back to you in time.
Original post by Anonymous

well, first and foremost make it clear that you're there for him. depression can mess with your perception of others' feelings - it can make you think the people who love you don't care about you anymore. so put it in a way he can't ignore, like "it seems that you haven't been feeling yourself recently, and if you don't want to tell me everything that's completely fine, but if you ever need to talk to me about it then i'd be happy to listen and help because i love you no matter what" etc etc. guys are often encouraged not to talk about their feelings and put up a tough front, explain to him that he doesn't need to be strong 24/7 to make him more of a man.

secondly, if he hasn't already, encourage him to see the doctor. i'm not a doctor, and most likely neither is anyone else on this thread, so none of us can say whether he has depression, but if he does, he at the very least needs a diagnosis. i don't mean to alarm you, but it only gets worse if it's ignored. offer to go with him if he's not sure or nervous.

in answer to your question, if he's diagnosed with depression....do NOT leave him alone. people with depression have a tendency to push others away even though it's not good for them. don't smother him, just find a happy medium.

im sure everythings going to be ok :smile:
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
Original post by tylerdaniel
well, first and foremost make it clear that you're there for him. depression can mess with your perception of others' feelings - it can make you think the people who love you don't care about you anymore. so put it in a way he can't ignore, like "it seems that you haven't been feeling yourself recently, and if you don't want to tell me everything that's completely fine, but if you ever need to talk to me about it then i'd be happy to listen and help because i love you no matter what" etc etc. guys are often encouraged not to talk about their feelings and put up a tough front, explain to him that he doesn't need to be strong 24/7 to make him more of a man.

secondly, if he hasn't already, encourage him to see the doctor. i'm not a doctor, and most likely neither is anyone else on this thread, so none of us can say whether he has depression, but if he does, he at the very least needs a diagnosis. i don't mean to alarm you, but it only gets worse if it's ignored. offer to go with him if he's not sure or nervous.

in answer to your question, if he's diagnosed with depression....do NOT leave him alone. people with depression have a tendency to push others away even though it's not good for them. don't smother him, just find a happy medium.

im sure everythings going to be ok :smile:

Basically what is said in this quote.
here is a website so you know what to look for or to show him.
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/depression-signs-and-symptoms.htm
you need to talk to him about it. ASK him if he thinks or has depression. if he says no then just reassure him that its okay if he does you don't want him to be in denial. just talk to him ask him what's going on. if he thinks he has depression then take him to see the doctor. Do not leave him alone it wont solve anything. The only time you should leave him is if he has been declared by a health professional that he is healthy. I have studied depression recently and it is a mental illness which can make people feel alone in the world. talk him and make sure he is okay.
don't worry to much but make sure he gets help if he needs it.
hope this helped. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending