The Student Room Group

Direct second year entry? Advice appreciated!

I'm about to head off to St Andrews to study physics (absolute dream) and I'm unsure as to whether I should opt for direct second year entry?

In Scotland there is a more generic and broad first year since students can be accepted on Higher results. With decent Advanced Higher results direct second year entry is an option.

I think I've achieved three A band 1s and an A band 2 at Advanced Higher (Much higher than the asking rates for Oxbridge, as a comparison), would it be worth going straight into second year? Most people say not to however I'm tempted..
Reply 1
Direct entry into 2nd year normally requires excellent grades at AH, not decent. 1st year entry is what I'd recommend just from the general view of getting an easy year so you can get used to being away from home, going to university, how to do labs and it can let you study some stuff you might not have done otherwise. Also, I believe that if you want to do any astro at St Andrew's then you will be playing catch up well into 3rd year as you have never studied it before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending