The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

generalebriety
Heh, no, sadly some people in my school were amused though. :rolleyes: Like on the open day to Sheffield when we passed a town called Penistone. Oh, the hilarity continues. :rolleyes:

Old thread I know, and very off topic, but I had to comment.

Some of us had to grow up living in that place :wink: :p:
Reply 61
To be honest, I'd only read that as "Penny-stone". What a disgustingly clean mind I must have...:frown:
hobnob
To be honest, I'd only read that as "Penny-stone". What a disgustingly clean mind I must have...:frown:

That's pretty much how most people who live there think of it too on a day to day basis (thankfully). People rarely actually make much refernece to it's spelling :smile:

Or at least from what I've seen and heard...
Reply 63
i went to metzingen in the south of germany and i have to say every german i met was friendly and delighten to help you practice your german, one thing i would advise would be to talk about idioms to them my german host kept telling us we were in a traffic marmalade and thought it was funny, if your a wine fan (and old enough to drink) you should try some of the local wine and if you go south try schwabian cooking its interesting to say the least! hope this gives you a different perspective of germany:tsr2:
Reply 64
i have been, the first day in the school is scary, but it is so much fun. everyone is nice, and it is nothing like england (other than the weather). it is so beautiful and clean, and there isn't any ugly looking council estates messing up the view.
Reply 65
tubsy666
i would advise would be to talk about idioms to them my german host kept telling us we were in a traffic marmalade and thought it was funny,:

yes, the person i stayed with kept talking about 'ear warm' saying that she had an 'ear warm' lol - she meant she had a song stuck in her head :biggrin:
Reply 66
ninaabbey
yes, the person i stayed with kept talking about 'ear warm' saying that she had an 'ear warm' lol - she meant she had a song stuck in her head :biggrin:

That should be "Ohrwurm" (literally an "ear-worm").:wink: A lot of Germans pronounce "worm" as "warm", by the way. Don't ask me why...
Reply 67
hobnob
That should be "Ohrwurm" (literally an "ear-worm").:wink: A lot of Germans pronounce "worm" as "warm", by the way. Don't ask me why...

okidoky =]
how would you make the sentence anyway, i can't for the life in me remember how she said the sentence so it sounded right, would it just be, "ich habe Ohrwurm" or would you mention the song or something?:s-smilie:
Reply 68
ninaabbey
okidoky =]
how would you make the sentence anyway, i can't for the life in me remember how she said the sentence so it sounded right, would it just be, "ich habe Ohrwurm" or would you mention the song or something?:s-smilie:

"Ich habe einen Ohrwurm."
or
"Ich habe [song title] als Ohrwurm."
or
"[Song title] ist ein echter Ohrwurm." (which means it isn't necessarily stuck in your head right now, but it's the sort of song that's likely to get stuck in people's heads)
Reply 69
hobnob
"Ich habe einen Ohrwurm."
or
"Ich habe [song title] als Ohrwurm".

ok thanks.
Reply 70
No problem.:smile:
I went to Koblenz with my school on the cheap a few years ago. Don't go to Koblenz.
:eek: :frown: Koblenz was great! Although I went with Acorn Educational Exchanges so that might be why I enjoyed it so much. The actual city (town?) isn't particularly noteworthy, I suppose.
I'm afraid it didn't do it for me. Only thing I enjoyed was a boat trip on the Rhine, other than that I found the place quite dull.

Latest

Trending

Trending