The Student Room Group

Personal Statement-Social Work BA advice

What should I put in my personal statement to make it sound enthusiastic. I really want to sell myself but I don't know if I am selling myself right. So far I've spoke about what inspired me, about the course I'm studying now, some skills Social Workers need that I have gained throughout my life, Voluntary work/ Work placements and achievements. I have not wrote my conclusion as it sounds too complicated. So I have left it for now. I have a problem also putting in info about the role/responsibilities of social workers and an understanding of discrimination as it sounds like an essay. Is they a way I can not make it sound like this? Any help is appreciated.
Original post by Kimbo1508
What should I put in my personal statement to make it sound enthusiastic. I really want to sell myself but I don't know if I am selling myself right. So far I've spoke about what inspired me, about the course I'm studying now, some skills Social Workers need that I have gained throughout my life, Voluntary work/ Work placements and achievements. I have not wrote my conclusion as it sounds too complicated. So I have left it for now. I have a problem also putting in info about the role/responsibilities of social workers and an understanding of discrimination as it sounds like an essay. Is they a way I can not make it sound like this? Any help is appreciated.

Dont get overly descriptive with what the experience you, talk more about what skills you gained from this experience and relate your skills you gained to the role of a social worker,
for example you could write in x work experience i gained essential communication skills by ... , communication will be important to me as a social worker as ....
If you ve done any extra reading or anything you could mention that.
When you say achievements what do you mean?
Reply 2
I've done that I think. I don't really read books but I've mentioned some articles I have read. As for achievements I won the Half Term Award which I was competing with 10 other students from other departments for my effort and dedication to my subject always exceeding what is expected. I also won student of the month out of 300 other students for a positive attitude towards work, for excellent referencing and for handing assignments in before the deadline.
Original post by claireestelle
Dont get overly descriptive with what the experience you, talk more about what skills you gained from this experience and relate your skills you gained to the role of a social worker,
for example you could write in x work experience i gained essential communication skills by ... , communication will be important to me as a social worker as ....
If you ve done any extra reading or anything you could mention that.
When you say achievements what do you mean?

Sorry but that format for talking about skills is terrible from the admissions staff perspective (I know this is how a lot of schools and some advisers recommend - just because it is common doesn't make it good)

Doing something doesn't give you a skill. It also doesn't improve skills. What it does is allows you to DEMONSTRATE your skills.

The "this is important for social work" is a complete waste of characters. Admissions staff for social work are well aware which skills are important - and just talking about a skill in a ps makes it clear you know it is important too(after all you aren't going to waste space in your ps talking about skills you have that aren't important to social work).

Talking about skills should involve detailed, specific, examples of situations where you demonstrated a skill- plus discussion of what worked well and how you could/have improved (detailed, specific - PERSONAL).
(edited 8 years ago)
I've done that I think. I don't really read books but I've mentioned some articles I have read. As for achievements I won the Half Term Award which I was competing with 10 other students from other departments for my effort and dedication to my subject always exceeding what is expected. I also won student of the month out of 300 other students for a positive attitude towards work, for excellent referencing and for handing assignments in before the deadline.

Achievements and awards should be included in your reference not your PS
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Achievements and awards should be included in your reference not your PS

Thank you, I thought achievements had to be included in your ps. Would you recommend I talk about my role/responsibilities at the place in brief and then write a sentence or so talking about the skills I used such as: communication skills, reflecting on practice etc. and talk about how I helped the service users i.e. helped them gain confidence, help their mathematical skills etc?
Thank you, I thought achievements had to be included in your ps. Would you recommend I talk about my role/responsibilities at the place in brief and then write a sentence or so talking about the skills I used such as: communication skills, reflecting on practice etc. and talk about how I helped the service users i.e. helped them gain confidence, help their mathematical skills etc?

Roles and responsibilities- no this is a ps not a cv or job application
See my post above for how to talk about skills- tell the reader a story about situations where you demonstrate a skill. What happened? What did you do? How did it turn out? What did you learn? Would you do things differently now? What do you hope to learn on your degree that would help in that situation?
Reply 7
I'm getting told the wrong advise from college, thats what the teachers have told me to do. I think I've wrote something simular. I've definately wrote how I demonstrated the skill and how it will help me with the degree but I'm not sure about the rest that you've said
I'm getting told the wrong advise from college, thats what the teachers have told me to do. I think I've wrote something simular. I've definately wrote how I demonstrated the skill and how it will help me with the degree but I'm not sure about the rest that you've said

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes - have a try (from scratch if you want or pasting in to the relevant boxes from your draft) of the ps builder. It should make sure your ps has the right content in and is in some logical structure. If you work through it will give automated feedback. Read the tips and help boxes - there are years of experience behind the advice in them. Just remember that social work is vocational so when the advice talks about your subject you need to encompass both your degree and the eventual career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending