The Student Room Group

Reapplying to uni with actual grades lower than the entry requirements? ADVICE

Hey, sorry if this is a bit long winded, I highlighted my actual question. I left university this year due to family/financial/health issues that left me feeling very disillusioned with my course. These issues have all been resolved now and I would like to reapply for 2016 entry to do Social Policy and Politics. It's a course that I'm very enthusiastic about and I feel like I will be able to portray this and my suitability for the course in my personal statement.

However, my A level grades are ABD in philosophy, sociology and biology, in that order. One of the universities I am going to apply, the University of Liverpool, to is the one I dropped out off and let me in with these grades despite the entry requirements being ABB, the same entry requirements for my new course. I'm also going to apply for the University of Bristol. From personal experience, Liverpool seems to be very leniant with grades on results day but does anyone know if these universities are leniant if you already have lower results than the typical offer when you apply? If not, do you think it is worth attempting to resit my biology exams? I'm unsure whether I would be able to increase my grade to a B.

I know Bristol is a very competitive uni in general so I'm going to email them to see whether it is worth applying as their admissions statement say they give a 75% weighting to the personal statement score.

PS- I'm very tired so apologies for any poor grammar :colondollar:
Just bring the page up since I'm also in a similar position, minus the leaving part.
Original post by Wild Nothing
Hey, sorry if this is a bit long winded, I highlighted my actual question. I left university this year due to family/financial/health issues that left me feeling very disillusioned with my course. These issues have all been resolved now and I would like to reapply for 2016 entry to do Social Policy and Politics. It's a course that I'm very enthusiastic about and I feel like I will be able to portray this and my suitability for the course in my personal statement.
However, my A level grades are ABD in philosophy, sociology and biology, in that order. One of the universities I am going to apply, the University of Liverpool, to is the one I dropped out off and let me in with these grades despite the entry requirements being ABB, the same entry requirements for my new course. I'm also going to apply for the University of Bristol. From personal experience, Liverpool seems to be very leniant with grades on results day but does anyone know if these universities are leniant if you already have lower results than the typical offer when you apply? If not, do you think it is worth attempting to resit my biology exams? I'm unsure whether I would be able to increase my grade to a B.
I know Bristol is a very competitive uni in general so I'm going to email them to see whether it is worth applying as their admissions statement say they give a 75% weighting to the personal statement score.
PS- I'm very tired so apologies for any poor grammar :colondollar:
have you spoken to Liverpool? Depending how they managed you leaving you might be fine to go back this Autumn.

In all cases I'd recommend applying ASAP for entry this autumn rather than delaying to 2016 entry. You'll have more chances in clearing than applying as ususual if you aren't resitting.
Reply 3
I would say have a dialogue with the university's you are interested in before applying. Thy and speak to an admissions tutor rather than just email. This should be easy for the uni you have left. Good luck.
Original post by BlueWolf16
Just bring the page up since I'm also in a similar position, minus the leaving part.

Thanks! I hope things work out well for you.
Original post by PQ
have you spoken to Liverpool? Depending how they managed you leaving you might be fine to go back this Autumn.

In all cases I'd recommend applying ASAP for entry this autumn rather than delaying to 2016 entry. You'll have more chances in clearing than applying as ususual if you aren't resitting.

After posting this thread I did email Liverpool so I'm just waiting for their reply. Ideally I would like to have a year out however not if it prevents me from actually getting into uni! If I applied through clearing, do you know if I would I need to write a new personal statement and obtain references from my sixth form?
Original post by Zarek
I would say have a dialogue with the university's you are interested in before applying. Thy and speak to an admissions tutor rather than just email. This should be easy for the uni you have left. Good luck.

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest