The Student Room Group

Oxbridge requirements

Would it be possible to get into Oxbridge with fairly average GCSEs (lets say 3 A's and rest are B's), but then you decide to really knuckle down and get A's and A*'s at A-Level? Will they always pick students with better GCSE results than you, or do they not really care about GCSEs and focus on your A-Level results?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the subject. For Medicine, you'd have no chance at Oxford :nah:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Depends on the subject. For Medicine, you'd have no chance at Oxford :nah:

My course would either be Physics & Astronomy or Mechanical Engineering. By the way, I chose maths, physics, chemistry and psychology at A-Level if that makes a difference.
Reply 3
Average entry has 6 a*s at gcse SSSI unlikely with much less unless you are in extreme circumstances. Even with 4 As at as level.
Original post by Tomm1998
My course would either be Physics & Astronomy or Mechanical Engineering. By the way, I chose maths, physics, chemistry and psychology at A-Level if that makes a difference.

I imagine Oxbridge would be pretty keen on Further Maths for those degree courses?

Physics at Oxford (there's no Astronomy, to my knowledge) would largely depend on the PAT (pre-interview test), I'd imagine. Mechanical Engineering I'm not too sure about, being an arts Oxonian.

Hopefully when this gets moved to the Oxbridge forum, others will be able to advise you further :yes: Applying post-A2 during a gap year could always be an option if your chances are unlikely pre-A2 :yes:

Just FYI, neither university offers a degree in Physics & Astronomy or Mechanical Engineering. You'd either have to do straight Physics (Oxford), Natural Sciences (Cambridge) or general Engineering (either). On top of that, in both of those cases, you really ought to consider taking Further Maths. For both of those degrees, the courses are very maths intensive and Further Maths would be a good preparation for that.

I don't think it's impossible to get in with those GCSE grades but it's not exactly going to do you any favours. In particular, people who don't do particularly well at GCSE are unlikely to get the kind of outstanding A Level results the tutors are looking for. As I say, it's not impossible but you really should be trying to at least get a few A*s at GCSE.

Hello,

I went to both Oxford and Cambridge's open days and you would be shocked at what they said. Oxford's Admissions Tutor for History (sorry, I can't comment on your subjects as I am not doing anything like that - humanities is my forte) said that they barely even look at AS. GCSEs and the HAT are all they really look at outside of interview. If you have weaker GCSEs but do very well at A-Level, Cambridge is better for you. I asked the admissions tutor about GCSEs and they said they carry next to no weight at all.

Good luck, pal.
Original post by Plagioclase
Just FYI, neither university offers a degree in Physics & Astronomy or Mechanical Engineering. You'd either have to do straight Physics (Oxford), Natural Sciences (Cambridge) or general Engineering (either). On top of that, in both of those cases, you really ought to consider taking Further Maths. For both of those degrees, the courses are very maths intensive and Further Maths would be a good preparation for that.

I don't think it's impossible to get in with those GCSE grades but it's not exactly going to do you any favours. In particular, people who don't do particularly well at GCSE are unlikely to get the kind of outstanding A Level results the tutors are looking for. As I say, it's not impossible but you really should be trying to at least get a few A*s at GCSE.

Whilst I agree with most of this I think this bit is incorrect. Many straight A* GCSE students get those grades because they can inhale and spit a textbook onto a page. Many then fail to do well at A-Level because they haven't actually picked up the necessary study skills over GCSE and they get too cocky. Of course, there's the complete opposite of that where people do well in both. However, I would say that GCSEs do in no way determine your ability to succeed at A-Level unless you mean in the sense of, if you get a C in Maths at GCSE it is almost completely impossible for you to get an A at A-Level. There are some subjects that do follow that sort of predictability but yeah, it varies and in general, I'd disagree here.
Reply 9
Original post by ivybridge
Hello,

I went to both Oxford and Cambridge's open days and you would be shocked at what they said. Oxford's Admissions Tutor for History (sorry, I can't comment on your subjects as I am not doing anything like that - humanities is my forte) said that they barely even look at AS. GCSEs and the HAT are all they really look at outside of interview. If you have weaker GCSEs but do very well at A-Level, Cambridge is better for you. I asked the admissions tutor about GCSEs and they said they carry next to no weight at all.

Good luck, pal.
Yeah, I was a lazy **** back in high school. Did no revision whatsoever therefore got results below the 'outstanding' requirements, it was only midway through my AS where I really started to work hard and aim high. Looks like I might need to retake a few exams as a private candidate or something like that if I'm going to stand a chance. Whether I get in or not, more A*'s will look better regardless I guess.
Whilst I agree with most of this I think this bit is incorrect. Many straight A* GCSE students get those grades because they can inhale and spit a textbook onto a page. Many then fail to do well at A-Level because they haven't actually picked up the necessary study skills over GCSE and they get too cocky. Of course, there's the complete opposite of that where people do well in both. However, I would say that GCSEs do in no way determine your ability to succeed at A-Level unless you mean in the sense of, if you get a C in Maths at GCSE it is almost completely impossible for you to get an A at A-Level. There are some subjects that do follow that sort of predictability but yeah, it varies and in general, I'd disagree here.

There is, without a doubt, a decent correlation between someone's performance at GCSE and performance at A Level. There was a document produced by Cambridge (IIRC) a while ago that showed this. That absolutely does not mean that you are certain to do well at A Level if you do very well at GCSE, nor does it mean you're doomed to fail if you don't do brilliantly at GCSE because as you point out, they're testing different things. However, in general, the people who are getting the top A Level grades and are getting into the top universities are also the ones getting the top GCSE results - you can see that pretty clearly in the distribution of number of A*s of successful Oxbridge applicants.

I think the statement "Students with top A Level results are more likely to have top GCSE results" is more correct than "Students with top GCSE results are more likely to have top A Level results".
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, I was a lazy **** back in high school. Did no revision whatsoever therefore got results below the 'outstanding' requirements, it was only midway through my AS where I really started to work hard and aim high. Looks like I might need to retake a few exams as a private candidate or something like that if I'm going to stand a chance. Whether I get in or not, more A*'s will look better regardless I guess.

You know what pal? Do not go for Oxford. Go for Cambridge. They value a clear upward progression and I know someone who did rubbish in their a-levels, re-sat, didn't get in, got his A2s, reapplied to Trinity at Cambridge, and got in. I am sure you will be fine as long as you get the grades and try hard but I would say Oxford is more for those who do better more consistently.
Original post by Plagioclase
There is, without a doubt, a decent correlation between someone's performance at GCSE and performance at A Level. There was a document produced by Cambridge (IIRC) a while ago that showed this. That absolutely does not mean that you are certain to do well at A Level if you do very well at GCSE, nor does it mean you're doomed to fail if you don't do brilliantly at GCSE because as you point out, they're testing different things. However, in general, the people who are getting the top A Level grades and are getting into the top universities are also the ones getting the top GCSE results - you can see that pretty clearly in the distribution of number of A*s of successful Oxbridge applicants.

I think the statement "Students with top A Level results are more likely to have top GCSE results" is more correct than "Students with top GCSE results are more likely to have top A Level results".

Fair enough, I think it varies but you're accepting that so - fair enough.
Cambridge have less emphasis on GCSEs. You could, if you got 3A*s at A2. Oxford for some reason care too much about GCSE :frown:
You know what pal? Do not go for Oxford. Go for Cambridge. They value a clear upward progression and I know someone who did rubbish in their a-levels, re-sat, didn't get in, got his A2s, reapplied to Trinity at Cambridge, and got in. I am sure you will be fine as long as you get the grades and try hard but I would say Oxford is more for those who do better more consistently.

This is such crap. Based on your thesis I should be at Cambridge, but here I am; an Oxford student with fairly average GCSEs and stellar A2s.

Prospective applicants should not attempt to play the game of second guessing what the admissions tutors want. It's true that there is a lot of emphasis placed upon GCSEs here at Oxford, but this is such a general trend that it's not worth ruling Oxford out.

If in doubt EMAIL the university / college directly as they will be able to tell you if you can expect to submit a competitive application. Rather here it directly from the horse's mouth. Good luck!
Original post by colourtheory
This is such crap. Based on your thesis I should be at Cambridge, but here I am; an Oxford student with fairly average GCSEs and stellar A2s.

Prospective applicants should not attempt to play the game of second guessing what the admissions tutors want. It's true that there is a lot of emphasis placed upon GCSEs here at Oxford, but this is such a general trend that it's not worth ruling Oxford out.

If in doubt EMAIL the university / college directly as they will be able to tell you if you can expect to submit a competitive application. Rather here it directly from the horse's mouth. Good luck!

I am literally telling this person EXACTLY what Oxford told me on Thursday.
I am literally telling this person EXACTLY what Oxford told me on Thursday.

Oxford being a single admissions tutor? Yeah, okay.

My point stands though. There are exceptions, and I'm an obvious example of that. I do so much outreach within my college and the wider university because of applicants being put off by such assumptions. There may be a general preference for strong GCSEs, but the type of school you went to, where you live, your interview, submitted work, admissions test etc. etc. also from an integral part of your application. It's a holistic process, and thus choosing a uni based on the assumption that they may place more emphasis on GCSEs is silly when they have so much more information about you versus another university.

My point stands though. There are exceptions, and I'm an obvious example of that. I do so much outreach within my college and the wider university because of applicants being put off by such assumptions. There may be a general preference for strong GCSEs, but the type of school you went to, where you live, your interview, submitted work, admissions test etc. etc. also from an integral part of your application. It's a holistic process, and thus choosing a uni based on the assumption that they may place more emphasis on GCSEs is silly when they have so much more information about you versus another university.

I went to their open day. An entire department told me this. Two individual admissions tutors told me it. Materials they handed out told me it.

Hence why I am now not bothering applying there and going for Cambridge instead.
I went to their open day. An entire department told me this. Two individual admissions tutors told me it. Materials they handed out told me it.

Hence why I am now not bothering applying there and going for Cambridge instead.

I think both of you are sort of right. What Colourtheory said is pretty spot on - however, in this particular example where someone didn't get any A*s at GCSE, applying to Oxford doesn't make a lot of sense. If you look at the statistics, there is a very strong correlation between number of A*s at GCSE and likelihood of getting into Oxford and with no A*s, your chance of a successful application at Oxford is incredibly small. No amount of extenuating circumstances, unless they're absolutely extreme, is going to change that.
Reply 19
Sorry but with that kind of GCSE profile you have a VERY slim chance of getting into Oxford, even if you get all A/A* at a-level. Believe it or not, for subjects like Physics/Engineering they place a LOT of emphasis on GCSEs as well as PAT. But more on GCSEs according to an admissions tutor I spoke to.

I don't want to sound rude, but with those sorts of grades, do you really think you can do so well at A-level? I think you are aiming too high academically and will be disappointed.

Quick Reply

Latest