The Student Room Group

Which A-levels?

My sister has recently been thinking about which subjects to choose for her A-levels, the college she is going to is allowing her to take 4...

she knows she definetly wants to take History and biology, but is unsure about the rest, here are the ones she is considering...

psychology
government and politics
dance
chemistry
french

she needs help to choose her other 2 subjects... does anyone who does these subjects above have any advice on what the subject is actually like and what it can lead to.!
Reply 1
What did she enjoy doing at GCSE ?
Psychology and Politics require a lot of work and constant revision!
Chemistry is really fun but like Politics there`s loads of work!
Dance is very good(According to my friend) its very practical and helps advance your Knowledge in the area
I was never particularly good at French TBH I would rather do Humanities. French I've been told is extremely difficult and requires good skill and Pronunciation to pass with a high Grade
Its up to her does she enjoy coursework or does she thrive of Exams? (Like me)
(edited 8 years ago)
I've just finished A level Dance (waiting on results in August!!) so can definitely give you my opinion on this.
It depends on what exam board you're sitting but I did AQA and it was 55% written and 45% practical although we spent much more time doing practical work than theory. If she definitely wants to take biology then she'll no doubt be familiar with a lot of the physiology stuff that comes up in theory which will be handy. The practical work is generally of a contemporary style but the people in my class came from loads of different backgrounds (gymnastics, ballet, ballroom and latin, hip hop, jazz, musical theatre, tap etc) so it really doesn't matter what genre you're most experienced in. I personally loved A level dance and couldn't recommend it more, although it is a heck of a lot of hard work and you have to be prepared to put in a lot of your spare time rehearsing and choreographing. Some people in my class in year 12 only took Dance as far as AS and are going on to do things like Psychology and Languages at University and from what I know, an AS in something more practical like Dance was very helpful to them when applying for Uni.
If you have any other questions, I'm happy to give advice!!
Chemistry and biology are hard, so she should only take them if she at least gets As I'd say at GCSE. But they open SO many doors to the best careers and courses. Chemistry gets quite maths you it's different to GCSE. Even if she wants to do something like Law, showing she can do tough respectable subjects will really help. Languages are equally respectable, so Inwould recommend french. Hostory is again very respected, and will give her lots of skills.

Government and Politics, Psycology and Dance are perhaps less respected, but grrwT to do if she wants a break. I'd recommend she aim for 2/3 out of Biology, Chemistry, History and French and maybe do 1 or 2 out of Gov Pol, Psychology and Dance.
Original post by Natalierm2707
My sister has recently been thinking about which subjects to choose for her A-levels, the college she is going to is allowing her to take 4...

she knows she definetly wants to take History and biology, but is unsure about the rest, here are the ones she is considering...

psychology
government and politics
dance
chemistry
french

she needs help to choose her other 2 subjects... does anyone who does these subjects above have any advice on what the subject is actually like and what it can lead to.!

I do OCR Psychology and I have to say, I couldn't recommend it more! It is technically a science so it's valued by universities. It does go fairly well with Biology as well (especially AQA Psychology which I did last year) as there is a large section on Biological Psychology, and some Biology boards (I know AQA Biology does) also have a small research methods module which doing Psychology helps with.
French is always useful whichever career path she chooses to follow because employers always prefer someone who has language skills over someone who doesn't.
I did Chemistry last year (OCR Salters) and, I'm not gonna lie, it's hard :frown: There is a large proportion of Maths involved, which is why some colleges don't allow people to take Chem without also taking Maths. I'd say if your sister is better at the essay subjects in GCSE over the maths and sciences, don't take Chemistry.

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
I do OCR Psychology and I have to say, I couldn't recommend it more! It is technically a science so it's valued by universities. It does go fairly well with Biology as well (especially AQA Psychology which I did last year) as there is a large section on Biological Psychology, and some Biology boards (I know AQA Biology does) also have a small research methods module which doing Psychology helps with.
French is always useful whichever career path she chooses to follow because employers always prefer someone who has language skills over someone who doesn't.
I did Chemistry last year (OCR Salters) and, I'm not gonna lie, it's hard :frown: There is a large proportion of Maths involved, which is why some colleges don't allow people to take Chem without also taking Maths. I'd say if your sister is better at the essay subjects in GCSE over the maths and sciences, don't take Chemistry.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, I have just finished biology, chemistry and geography at A-level, the reason my sister is so keen on chemistry is because after researching into biology degrees she realised she needed a second science and chemistry stood out more over physics and maths...

I think she is going to take history, biology, psycology and either french or chemistry now!
Reply 6
Literally the best thing to would be take the history and biology, add on chemistry (it's literally going to magically open her up to so many career pathways it's ridiculous ahah) and then either French or psychology. Having said that psychology isn't a required subject for anything, not even for psychology as a degree and if she took French she'd automatically be more employable in the future.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Thanks so much, I have just finished biology, chemistry and geography at A-level, the reason my sister is so keen on chemistry is because after researching into biology degrees she realised she needed a second science and chemistry stood out more over physics and maths...

I think she is going to take history, biology, psycology and either french or chemistry now!

Sounds like a great combination :smile: If she ends up doing OCR Psychology, I'll be happy to help if she gets stuck with anything - I know A-Levels are changing but from what my teacher told me the content will roughly stay the same :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest