The Student Room Group

Going back to studying A Levels

I'm 18 years old and want to go back to college to study A levels. The subjects I would like to take are chemistry, biology and English.

The only issue is that during my GCSE's I got 4 B's, 5 C's and 2 D. For the two science subjects you need a B grade at GCSE level. My grades: Core Science B and Additional science C.

If it helps, my grade for Maths was a B.

I didn't put much effort into my GCSEs which I regret. I'm willing to put everything I can into getting the grades to go to vet school.

Do you think it is still possible to get into college? I'm going to email them to ask some questions and see if I can study all of the subjects.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by FadingAway
I'm 18 years old and want to go back to college to study A levels. The subjects I would like to take are chemistry, biology and English.

The only issue is that during my GCSE's I got 4 B's, 5 C's and 2 D. For the two science subjects you need a B grade at GCSE level. My grades: Core Science B and Additional science C.

I didn't put much effort into my GCSEs which I regret. I'm willing to put everything I can into getting the grades to go to vet school.

Do you think it is still possible to get into college? I'm going to email them to ask some questions and see if I can study all of the subjects.

Have you not studied A levels before?
That should be fine, I got two Cs in science GCSE & I was given a 6 week trial on the biology course to see how I did, there was also another girl in my class who got BC. It didn't really work out for us, I honestly thought they'd teach us from scratch and we would just have to know the basics but that wasn't the case.

I always felt like I'd excel at bio because in GCSE, we were tested on all 3 sciences and I'd always get full marks on the biology questions but still end up with like a C so I thought I'd do better if they were just biology questions.

I'd just say if you're confident at those two sciences, go for it. Definitely go for the trial (took a little persuasion on my part) but there is defo good reason why they ask for a minimum of two Bs
i'm an alevel biology student and got into my school's course with C in core and B in additional. You've got better grades than me and I may have put more effort into gcse's than you think you did. you should be able to study what you want with your grades
Thank you to both of you for answering my question.

I have studied AS Level before in 2013/2014, but did not do get to do all of the subjects I wanted (biology and chemistry) because of my grades and the fact that both of the subjects were over subscribed. But then I left to go to an animal college but regret that as I do not feel it was as good as doing the A Levels.

I will wait for the college to get back to me and see if I can persuade them to at least give me a trial if they have an issue. If that all fails then I guess I'll have to see if I can go back to GCSEs and then go onto A Levels the year after.
Original post by FadingAway

Hi, I know you posted this thread 3 months ago, but I was wondering if you've decided to go ahead and study A levels? I ask because I'm in a similar situation but have decided to self teach A-Level Maths and Biology A (Salters Nuffield) both through the Edexcel exam board. Only difference is I'm 22!!

Quick Reply

Latest