The Student Room Group

Which A levels should be chosen?

I want to go into English, doing an English degree at Queen Mary University or others... I know it seems early for an almost 16-year-old to be thinking about A levels, but I'm in year 11 and my school's making everyone do so.

So, I have two options I'd like to do.

OPTION 1

English Literature, History, and Sociology, along with an all coursework A level of Textiles (because I also love fashion).

OR

OPTION 2

English Literature, Spanish, Religious Education, and Photography (because thete's lots of analytical work and annotating in the coursework).

So it's basically this...

English Literature

WITH

History OR Spanish

AND*

Sociology OR Religious Education (Philosophy & Ethics)

AND

Textiles OR Photography*

The options with 'OR' in the middle mean it's one or the other. Which would be best suitable for an English degree (at Queen Mary's University)?

If somebody could tell me which and why, I'd be beyond greatful.
(edited 8 years ago)
I can't see that it's really going to make a fat lot of difference.
It would be best if you did english spanish history and Religious studies. They are the 4 most respected out of what you're doing.

But out of those choices, all I'd say is RS is more resoected than sociology. E others don't really matter.
Original post by MA1999ms
I want to go into English, doing an English degree at Queen Mary University or others... I know it seems early for an almost 16-year-old to be thinking about A levels, but I'm in year 11 and my school's making everyone do so.

So, I have two options I'd like to do.

OPTION 1

English Literature, History, and Sociology, along with an all coursework A level of Textiles (because I also love fashion).

OR

OPTION 2

English Literature, Spanish, Religious Education, and Photography (because thete's lots of analytical work and annotating in the coursework).

So it's basically this...

English Literature

WITH

History OR Spanish

AND*

Sociology OR Religious Education (Philosophy & Ethics)

AND

Textiles OR Photography*

The options with 'OR' in the middle mean it's one or the other. Which would be best suitable for an English degree (at Queen Mary's University)?

If somebody could tell me which and why, I'd be beyond greatful.

I agree with the post above that English lit ,History ,Spanish and RE would be the most respected and relevant in showing a wide array of skills which would aid your application. Having said this the only real requirement for an English degree is English I believe, so the other options should be ones you think you will do best in and enjoy. All of those options are essay based subjects so it will undoubtedly be challenging but if you are aiming for the better universities then I would recommend doing English lit ,History ,Spanish and RE. Or at least 3 from those choices, I wouldn't recommend doing a coursework heavy A-level like photography and textiles because they are firstly not well respected and will be very time consuming , which could limit your dedication towards your other very demanding subjects. However, if you do believe that you won't enjoy a subject or will do as well in it, then don't do it. Remember that GCSE's are very different to A-levels, languages are a very big jump and subjects like English lit and history require a very high degree of sophistication, they are almost completely different in terms of the way responses are formulated in comparison to GCSE.

Hope this helps, good luck with your GCSE's :h:

Quick Reply

Latest