The Student Room Group

RAMADAN consequences for breaking a fast

I've heard you have to do an extra 60 days of fasting if you break 1 fast deliberately.
I did it today:frown: what happens, does this have any weight or is the consequence less strict?
Original post by f.loco
I've heard you have to do an extra 60 days of fasting if you break 1 fast deliberately.
I did it today:frown: what happens, does this have any weight or is the consequence less strict?

If you missed a fast, you just make up the one fast after Ramadan.
[QUOTE=IdeasForLife;57544063]If you missed a fast, you just make up the one fast after Ramadan.

I read Shias have to fast for 60 extra days and if they miss one they have to start over again from the beginning

Edit: that's what it said on one site but other sites are contradicting it and saying the punishment is feeD 70 poor people or back in the day set a slave free

If you're interested search kaffarah Shia Islam and breaking fast intentionally
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by IdeasForLife
If you missed a fast, you just make up the one fast after Ramadan.

Please support your statement, as I have found numerous and various responses regarding this issue
Reply 4
Original post by Brownclown
I read Shias have to fast for 60 extra days and if they miss one they have to start over again from the beginning

Couldn't somebody get serious health complications from that?

Ah didn't know that.

Original post by f.loco
Please support your statement, as I have found numerous and various responses regarding this issue

Ok. Depends on how you broke it (so I was wrong).

http://islamqa.info/en/38023
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=flibber;57544173]Couldn't somebody get serious health complications from that?

Im not Shia Muslim I'm Sunni so I'm not exactly sure how this all works.

Tbh this seems like one of those really outdated punishments which no one would follow these days

Edit: that was the punishment in early 1600s I think it's changed and not as harsh nowadays
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh, man… That's dreadful.

Dude, fear Allah and beware of His wrath, but remember that He is also the Most Merciful, so if you repent sincerely, He will most definitely accept your repentance.

I'm not knowledgeable in fiqh related matters, but I suggest you should try fasting Mondays and Thursdays, so it won't be heavy on you or put you off.

“Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you.” (2:185)

Allahu Musta'an. May He make it easy for you, and ease for you your trials.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by IdeasForLife
Ah didn't know that.

Ok. Depends on how you broke it (so I was wrong).

http://islamqa.info/en/38023

Thank you my brother, I have to repent, and do either:

60 days of fast
feed 60 hungry mouths
Reply 9
Original post by flibber
Couldn't somebody get serious health complications from that?

Original post by f.loco
x

x

The attonement in the shia madhab (maybe even the sunni one) for breaking a fast is to either:
1. Fast for two months, free a slave, or feed sixty poor (you can choose either). If they are unable to do this, you should give charity as much within your means and seek for forgiveness and when you thave the ability to do say feed sixty poor, you should do so.

Source in case i have wrongly said anything/stipulates how much to feed the poor by.
http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2276/

If anyone through fasting had any risks of obtaining serious health complications, fasting would be forbidden on them.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending