The Student Room Group

My internet doesn't work all over my house, what do I do?

So I live in a relatively small three bedroom terraced house, yet for some reason the internet (Virgin Media) won't work all over the house. In my bedroom which is on the floor up from where the router (if that's what it's called) is, there's like an invisible line across my room where the internet just doesn't work anymore.

Anyway I've bought a desk to do some work and the desk is past the invisible line meaning my internet doesn't work when I'm sat there.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I know there is a way to make wireless internet reach further I just don't know how because I'm not great with tech. I'm not entirely convinced that I should have to fix it because it seems like it should reach all of my house considering it's not that big but I don't know. My boyfriend lives in a huge house and his internet (BT) works in his room on the fourth floor up so I'm pretty confused.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Have you tried turning off the router for a while and turning it back on. Is the lights flashing on the router?
Reply 2
Call Virgin Media? They'll send a engineer out to fix your Internet. If that doesn't work, consider changing your router? Saying that, I have Virgin Media and my internet works perfectly fine. Maybe it's a problem with your wiring?
Reply 3
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Have you tried turning off the router for a while and turning it back on. Is the lights flashing on the router?

I turn the router off quite a lot because the internet is generally poor and it doesn't seem to make any difference :dontknow: . Lights flashing, yep.
Original post by Riyaax
Call Virgin Media? They'll send a engineer out to fix your Internet. If that doesn't work, consider changing your router? Saying that, I have Virgin Media and my internet works perfectly fine. Maybe it's a problem with your wiring?

Is it considered broken if it won't reach a part of my house? We've had it for about three years and it's always been like this.

Never considered changing the router basically because I don't know enough about technology to know what to look for. I may ring Virgin and see what they say. They've been soooo bad with helping in the past so I won't hold out. I'd switch if I could but I live with my parents so I've got to go with it.
I have Virgin Media as well I often have issues with the internet connection. Seems like Virgin Media is bad then.
Reply 5
Original post by Airfairy
I turn the router off quite a lot because the internet is generally poor and it doesn't seem to make any difference :dontknow: . Lights flashing, yep.

Is it considered broken if it won't reach a part of my house? We've had it for about three years and it's always been like this.

Never considered changing the router basically because I don't know enough about technology to know what to look for. I may ring Virgin and see what they say. They've been soooo bad with helping in the past so I won't hold out. I'd switch if I could but I live with my parents so I've got to go with it.

Yeah it is considered broken as it doesn't provide you the service that you're paying for. I think you should ring Virgin and see how it goes from there. If worse comes to worst, just change your router! There are a few bad ones out there so be careful lol, choose wisely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending