The Student Room Group

teaching high school students

this scares the **** out of me..

any tips on how to deal with disgusting boys?
They're prob gonna be horny lil *****.
If you're moderately fit then I feel bad for you.
Shouting won't work
You have to be one of them, take the piss out of the fat kid and earn their trust.
Reply 2
Original post by Dilzo999
They're prob gonna be horny lil *****.
If you're moderately fit then I feel bad for you.
Shouting won't work
You have to be one of them, take the piss out of the fat kid and earn their trust.

:rofl:

urgh but they are so vile, the recent headlines dont help either," teacher sleeps with student"..it probably gives them confidence in trying.

Girls on the other hand, perfect angels <3
why ask this on a student forum? what if one of your students see this?

just wear no makeup, tell them you're a lesbian or fart in your class? these will all probably help to turn them off.
Original post by grassntai
why ask this on a student forum? what if one of your students see this?

just wear no makeup, tell them you're a lesbian or fart in your class? these will all probably help to turn them off.

lmao
Original post by christopher23
lmao

im not teaching in a high-school yet, i will be soon though.. arggh this makes me feel old, i still feel very much a student

If they see this thread then i hope they understand that the behaviour is wrong

Why did you edit your post? :colonhash:
Original post by shannonmaria
this scares the **** out of me..

any tips on how to deal with disgusting boys?

Various things:

Maintain no sense of humour whatsoever and never show in any way that you are reacting to their banter. (Hard, and not the route I chose, but it works for some.)

Be permanently good humoured about it and make fun of them if they try it on. Don't ever let them see it gets to you. (My method, but takes practice.)

Try to like them. Hard, but if you can genuinely see them as trainee human beings instead of little gremlins, they do appreciate it. People always work better for people they like, and who enjoys being in a room with someone who appears to hate them?

Tell jokes. They don't have to be any good, though if you can manage that, it's a plus. Teacher jokes can be lame - it's the fact that they exist at all which makes the classroom atmosphere more bearable.

Remember, it's not personal. All teachers are fair game.

Wear very conservative clothing.

Show a genuine interest in what they are doing.

Smile. Smile. Then smile some more. Makes it much more effective when they see you frown. Also true of shouting. Do it really, really sparingly. More energy effective, too.

Learn the banter and the slang so that you know what they are talking about.

If they are fiddling with themselves, walk up and down the aisle casually snipping a large pair of scissors. (This is genuinely what I was told when doing my PGCE back in the dark ages. Just passing it on, just in case. Never had to use it myself!)

Avoid confronting them in front of their mates. It makes it impossible for them to back down and just escalates the situation. Allow them some dignity. Divide and conquer.

Cultivate the art of the sardonic putdown. Lads mind much less being told off if they can admire the cleverness of the way in which it's done.

Just my two cents' worth from 32 years in the classroom.
Reply 7
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If they are fiddling with themselves, walk up and down the aisle casually snipping a large pair of scissors. (This is genuinely what I was told when doing my PGCE back in the dark ages. Just passing it on, just in case. Never had to use it myself!)

The walk or the scissors?
Sounds effective either way...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The walk or the scissors?
Sounds effective either way...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any of it, mercifully.
Try and restrain yourself from laughing at their jokes, don't smile at them and speak in a dull bland tone of voice like you don't want to be there. Just try to make yourself look as unattractive as possible lol.
Original post by bassbabe
don't smile at them and speak in a dull bland tone of voice like you don't want to be there..

Really not great advice imo, in my school teachers have been made to cry, have had things thrown at them and have gotten into a lot of verbal fights when taking this route. If the teacher comes across as not giving a sht, then the students aren't gonna give a **** about her.

This I've found is from a yr9 to yr11 perspective though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe by not being a sexist ass - "disgusting boys". I can assure there are just as badly behaved female students in classrooms who are pretty crass.
Although a teacher shouldn't be wearing casual clothes because they need to be professional and it's really pissing annoying to be a student in a strict uniform and your teacher looks like they're in their 'normal' clothes, I don't agree with the idea that a teacher should 'make herself unattractive' to stop the sexism. Partly because misogynists can be as crude about people who appear in a way society deems 'unattractive' because it's seen as hilarious to make sexual comments about someone who is seen as unsexy because the joke is no-one would want them. Also, because society needs to teach people that it is not ok to make inappropriate sexual comments about anyone whatever their physical appearance, age, outfit... Maybe OP is not the person to do that teaching but I would say one of her colleagues is.
It's never as simple as boys=bad, girls=good. I have had some awful girls and some wonderful boys. Just treat them ALL as human beings and try to combine being authoritative with being reasonable.

carnationlily's advice is brilliant. TAKE IT.
Original post by Dilzo999
Really not great advice imo, in my school teachers have been made to cry, have had things thrown at them and have gotten into a lot of verbal fights when taking this route. If the teacher comes across as not giving a sht, then the students aren't gonna give a **** about her.

This I've found is from a yr9 to yr11 perspective though.

Kids will hate you if you do that, the problem with teachers is they don't care enough about what the students care about. Observe, listen and connect. Take a genuine interest in their life!
Original post by SpenceHarris1589
Kids will hate you if you do that, the problem with teachers is they don't care enough about what the students care about. Observe, listen and connect. Take a genuine interest in their life!

This. If you are a people person, teaching is much, much easier. I always found it possible to have a laugh with kids and chat about life. If you like them, they will like you. It's simple human nature. The problem is, you can't fake it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending