The Student Room Group

How to stop worrying about exams?

Just finished AS levels but the anxiety about them is just infuriating and I can't stop thinking about everything I got wrong or if I've failed or if the examiner will take marks off if they can't read my handwriting etc. :frown:

At the minute I just want results day to come quickly to stop the sleepless nights and time spent worrying.

Anyway, how do you deal with this level of anxiety if you're going though the same thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't understand anxiety of this kind. There's absolutely nothing it achieves. The situation is now completely out of your hands and getting worked up over it is only doing you harm. Go enjoy the rest of the summer. Seriously, forget your a levels even exist. Go have fun.
Reply 2
Original post by heybaby
I don't understand anxiety of this kind. There's absolutely nothing it achieves. The situation is now completely out of your hands and getting worked up over it is only doing you harm. Go enjoy the rest of the summer. Seriously, forget your a levels even exist. Go have fun.

I think it is because grades have always been a part of my self esteem so it is more than just a letter on paper telling me how much knowledge I know in a subject even though that's all it is. How do you forget about your exams?
Reply 3
Original post by iodo345
How do you forget about your exams?

By filling my life with things other than school. The people who suffer from this kind of anxiety generally don't have much else going on. They sit at home brooding. Go do something. It doesn't even have to be with other people. Immerse yourself in other subjects/interests. Develop yourself in other areas. I personally find hanging out and getting drunk on the beach an excellent remedy but that's not everybody's cup of tea.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by heybaby
By filling my life with things other than school. The people who suffer from this kind of anxiety generally don't have much else going on. They sit at home brooding. Go do something. It doesn't even have to be with other people. Immerse yourself in other subjects/interests. Develop yourself in other areas. I personally find hanging out and getting drunk on the beach an excellent remedy but that's not everybody's cup of tea.

True, although I do have other things going on outside of school like volunteering etc. I think it's mainly due to the fact I haven't broken up for summer yet and listening to others is just making me crazy. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by iodo345
True, although I do have other things going on outside of school like volunteering etc. I think it's mainly due to the fact I haven't broken up for summer yet and listening to others is just making me crazy. Thanks for the reply :smile:

Ah. Especially if you're a high achiever, you're probably going to be surrounded with neurotic A-type personalities who won't shut up. I'd generally avoid these and enjoy the company of more relaxed B-type personalities. Their negativity and worry will rub off on you and do more harm than good. I think, for me, it's about learning to switch off. When I'm studying, I'm on... but once it's all over you need to learn to chill out :yep:

I hope you find some peace.
che sarà, sarà
Reply 7
Original post by Paladian
che sarà, sarà

What does that mean?
Reply 8
Original post by iodo345
What does that mean?

Whatever will be will be.
Reply 9
Original post by heybaby
Whatever will be will be.

Oh yes that Italian song. I suppose that it is true as you never know what will happen in the future.
Reply 10
Original post by iodo345
Oh yes that Italian song. I suppose that it is true as you never know what will happen in the future.

The message is different to that. It's that you should not worry about what is to come from the things you've already done and can't change. If you do get bad results then you can work harder to fix them if you really want to. In the interim, there's nothing for you to do.
Reply 11
Original post by heybaby
The message is different to that. It's that you should not worry about what is to come from the things you've already done and can't change. If you do get bad results then you can work harder to fix them if you really want to. In the interim, there's nothing for you to do.

True, I think I've done alright actually although I'm aiming absurdly high. Have you just done your AS levels or something?
Reply 12
Original post by iodo345
True, I think I've done alright actually although I'm aiming absurdly high. Have you just done your AS levels or something?

I just finished my last year at Oxford. Though, I had lots of friends who are like you.
Reply 13
Original post by heybaby
I just finished my last year at Oxford. Though, I had lots of friends who are like you.

Wow! I'm sure you must have gone through the same stress then. I wanted to apply but doubt it now as you need AAAA. May I ask what you study and what you achieved at A level?
Reply 14
smoke a little bit of marijuana
Reply 15
Original post by iodo345
Wow! I'm sure you must have gone through the same stress then. I wanted to apply but doubt it now as you need AAAA. May I ask what you study and what you achieved at A level?

No. Because after the exams I know that it doesn't matter what I think about. It doesn't change anything.

I'll PM you.
Step one: Find a corrupt GP
Step two: Get a script for Xanax
Step three: Eat them like candy
Problem solved
YOLO

Nuff said:h:
Reply 18
Just chill
There's always BTECs

Quick Reply