The Student Room Group

What's more important for you in a song - the sound or lyrics?

Thread title is pretty much self-explanatory. Which makes more of a difference for you - the overall sound/beat of the song, how the words are delivered or the actual meaning behind the lyrics? Is there any other major factor?

For me personally, the artist's overall musicality makes the most difference. The lyrics don't even have to make much sense, let alone have any real meaning, as long it sounds good. I listen to mainly hip-hop/rap (a lot of artists, e.g. Drake, Young Thug, Meek Mill, Migos, Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, list goes on) and house/EDM as well, and I think it's fair to say I wouldn't be able to stand half of my current favourite songs if I wanted deep meaning in lyrics :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely bizarre because I was thinking this about a minute ago, then I see this

After a bit of pondering, it's generally the song that I like. Good lyrics make it a lot better obviously, but like you said, if I don't understand them but if the song is good then that's fine
Don't get me wrong - I love good lyrics - but as a muso, for me it has to be the music :musicus:
Definitely the music, I love layers :sogood:

In a fair amount of the music I listen to, you can't make out the lyrics from the way they're being... sung(?) barked anyway. Sometimes I read them, but apart from the actual sound of the vocalist's voice and how it works with the rest of the music, they're not that important to me
The number of times it says the N-word.
Original post by callum_law
The number of times it says the N-word.

lol, do I have the song for you
Sound obviously. I don't understand most of the lyrics in foreign music I listen to but I still like it.

Original post by + polarity -
lol, do I have the song for you

Knew it was gonna be this :biggrin:

Funny.
The music. My favourite genre of music is extreme metal, subgenres of which frequently employ shrieking, screaming and guttural vocals. Unless I read the lyrics (which I don't care about in most cases), I can't really decipher what is being said, anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Definitely the music, tbh.
If a song had extremely poetic/genius lyrics...what would it matter if the music accompanying it was awful? I dunno, that's my view on it. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by localblackguy
Thread title is pretty much self-explanatory. Which makes more of a difference for you - the overall sound/beat of the song, how the words are delivered or the actual meaning behind the lyrics? Is there any other major factor?

For me personally, the artist's overall musicality makes the most difference. The lyrics don't even have to make much sense, let alone have any real meaning, as long it sounds good. I listen to mainly hip-hop/rap (a lot of artists, e.g. Drake, Young Thug, Meek Mill, Migos, Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, list goes on) and house/EDM as well, and I think it's fair to say I wouldn't be able to stand half of my current favourite songs if I wanted deep meaning in lyrics :tongue:

I agree that I wouldn't like half my favourite songs which is sad, especially how they affected subliminally. But overall I'm mainly attracted to the sound and not actual lyrics.
pretty much all lyrics are crap if you read poetry so music
Music

I find - much to my dismay - that many of the recent songs I listen to severely lack depth and creativity lyrically.

Interest is only shown in bitchez, marijuana, money, giving zero f's and the repetition of the n-word:u:
The music

But i dont like listening to songs with alot of swearing in it but i do cause i like the base/tune haha
If you like music then your obvious answer must be "the music". If what you like is a group of boys or a girl wailing about romance, break ups and depression than you would say lyrics. In my view, the vocals simply add to another layer of sound. Yes built their lyrics around this idea, which often meant their lyrics made no sense- but it sounded great!
How could it be anything other than the music? The voice is just yet another instrument, anyway.
The music definitely but if the lyrics are good then it just makes me like it that much more :grin:
I always felt that the lyrics. That's why I'm not on good terms with hip-hop :biggrin:. I feel that if there be a text it must be good, otherwise better make it instrumental. Some bands are very good musically, but poor lyrically (or just not my style). I prefer not such good music but heartfelt lyrics to shallow lyrics and superb music. Because I take things very literally and like literature I value words and their meaninfulness.
I've always been more fond of songs without words.
The music, definitely. I mostly listen to songs which have no lyrics at all.
Obviously the sound is more important because the point of music is for it to sound nice, however a good sounding song with terrible lyrics ruins it for me.
I do love songs with deep philosophical lyrics though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest