The Student Room Group

Another sensible Conservative policy.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/sunday/588907/High-earners-council-houses-forced-to-pay-rent

this is a fair and sensible policy to claw back £££millions from the undeserving.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
http://www.express.co.uk/news/sunday/588907/High-earners-council-houses-forced-to-pay-rent

this is a fair and sensible policy to claw back £££millions from the undeserving.

Still don't get why high earners are in council houses in the first place.
this is a terrible policy

£30,000 is not a "high earner" for a couple/family
It'll work in most places but they'll have to be careful they don't leave very valuable properties empty in Central London.

Mate of mine lives in South Ken in a one bed with his girlfriend. The block is mixed council and private flats, but to pay their one bed they have a joint income of well over double 40k, no way you could pay market on that little (I earn a bit more than 40 and it would be about 85% of my net income just on rent).
Reply 4
Seems a good idea.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
this is a terrible policy

£30,000 is not a "high earner" for a couple/family

More then enough to live just fine in the private rented, given who council housing is there for these people are rich and they deny needy people subsidised accommodation, this doesn't go far enough, they should have to pay above the market rate to get them out without eviction. As the BBC claims, 340,000 effected saving £250m. That means up to 340,000 who need a council house should now be able to get one, up to 340,000 worth of new council housing doesn't need building.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take it he's not including 10 & 11 Downing Street, Chequers, and the rest of the grace and favour houses in that policy. To top it off, you've got Cameron simultaneously ranting about state handouts to top up wages. I guess it's okay if you're getting at least the base MP salary to get state handouts to buy yourself a new house, a house to let, and a house for the ducks. And there I was thinking Laurel and Hardy were dead.
Meanwhile conservatve plan to remove family homes worth 1 million or over from inheritance tax......
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I am not a conservative but this seems sensible. I hope this includes the PM and the Chancellor too.
Original post by agentawesome
I am not a conservative but this seems sensible. I hope this includes the PM and the Chancellor too.

Fur them to count you would first have to make no. 10&11 council housing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Fur them to count you would first have to make no. 10&11 council housing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bet they don't pay rent though. The PM, the Chancellor and the Queen are the biggest freeloaders in the country.
Reply 11
I bet they don't pay rent though. The PM, the Chancellor and the Queen are the biggest freeloaders in the country.

It's part of the salary, it's not that uncommon for some employees to be given a place to live

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
It's part of the salary, it's not that uncommon for some employees to be given a place to live

Posted from TSR Mobile

And your excuse for the Queen?
Original post by Wade-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Getting rid of the queen might help us claw back some £££
God. Now lets limit benefits like Job Seekers Allowance for 6 months.

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Getting rid of the queen might help us claw back some £££

Y yes, I'm sure reducing the monarchy from an effective 85pc income tax to the regular levels will save money :rolleyes: oh, republicans are funny.

And of course they don't post r rent, it is part of the position that they have access to those residences, in much the sand way that POTUS doesn't pay rent on the white house, it is the official residence fur the position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Y yes, I'm sure reducing the monarchy from an effective 85pc income tax to the regular levels will save money :rolleyes: oh, republicans are funny.

And of course they don't post r rent, it is part of the position that they have access to those residences, in much the sand way that POTUS doesn't pay rent on the white house, it is the official residence fur the position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A good way to save money would be too scrap this £50 million renovation of the Queen's residences. I understand removing the asbestos and faulty wiring but they do not need to be redecorated. If she wants it to look nice she should pay for it herself, which she can do since she is getting a 22% pay rise. £50 million that could be better spent on reducing the deficit (though as a liberal that is not a major concern) or going towards the NHS or other services.

People > Money
A good way to save money would be too scrap this £50 million renovation of the Queen's residences. I understand removing the asbestos and faulty wiring but they do not need to be redecorated. If she wants it to look nice she should pay for it herself, which she can do since she is getting a 22% pay rise. £50 million that could be better spent on reducing the deficit (though as a liberal that is not a major concern) or going towards the NHS or other services.

People > Money

Remind me who is paying that £50m?

And she had received 22,PC more because the royal estate had generated 22pc more, so the exchequer has also received 22pc more from the royal estate. I suggest you rest up on the funding of the royal family before you complain about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems very sensible. The idea of people earning over £30,000 (or £40,000 in London) occupying subsidised housing is absurd and it's about time this was sorted out. Might even go some way to relieve the pressure on such housing for those who actually need it.

People > Money

The Queen puts more into the economy than she takes out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending