The Student Room Group

Entering as a Private Candidate for a Modern Foreign Language.

Hi there I would like to do an extra A-level - Russian A-level. I am Bulgarian so I am not fluent in Russian but it does give me an advantage (a bit lol).
Lately I have been looking to find an examination centre that will let me be entered as a private candidate for A-level Russian. I have found one but it is really far.

My question is if there are any lists of exam centres in the UK as even when I type in my area (East London) it still comes up with exam centres from Manchester and Scotland.

Alternatively can I contact my old secondary school and request that they enter me as a private candidate there. Would I have to pay them a fee like I would to a exam centre.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by bobthebuilder99
My question is if there are any lists of exam centres in the UK as even when I type in my area (East London) it still comes up with exam centres from Manchester and Scotland.

Any exam centre (i.e. any secondary school or college in England) can accept private candidates but not many do. Edexcel/Pearson is the only exam board to offer Russian - you can look on their website for centres that accept private candidates near you. Alternatively, AQA also produces a list on their website and centres that accept private candidates for AQA are likely to do so for Edexcel. You may discover somewhere close that will accept you for the written exam but have to travel for the oral. However, read the bit about 'A level London orals' http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/subjects/languages.updates.html?article=/content/demo/en/news-policy/subject-updates/languages/2015-entry-deadlines-oral-exam-windows-and-other-key-dates about how you can take the oral.
Original post by bobthebuilder99
Alternatively can I contact my old secondary school and request that they enter me as a private candidate there. Would I have to pay them a fee like I would to a exam centre.
Yes you can, they are clearly an exam centre too,and, if they are willing to accept you, whilst they will charge, it is likely to be less than a centre where you have no connection.

Quick Reply

Latest