The Student Room Group

What do you think of the A-level subjects chosen?

Hi, I'm going to start AS next year and the subjects I've chosen are Maths, ICT, Physics and Economics. I have no clue of what I want to be in the future, so its hard to decide on the subjects.

I definitely want to do Maths and probably Physics.
I want to do Physics because I recently began to enjoy it nearing the end of the year (this was for all GCSE triple science subjects, I hated them only because I wasn't trying, thankfully I realised this and fixed myself). I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with the Alevel as ive heard its like the hardest subject, anyone have any advice & techniques on how to revise effectively for it?

I enjoyed GCSE ICT so much as it was so chilled, which is why I've picked it for A Level, its the Single Vocational ICT course. This is the one my teacher recommended for me. But after some research, I've found that many students found ICT a subject that wasn't worth it, found it considerably hard (even the smart students coming out with grades way below expectations) and the universities don't value it much. So im now having second thoughts about it, I don't want to regret it in the future and restrict my opportunities, what are your thoughts on this?

If I did change ICT, I'd most likely choose Chemistry instead, which I enjoyed at GCSE. And the same with this, I don't know if I'd regret this.

I do wish to go to a good university in the future, but don't know what I want to study yet, so i'm trying to keep my options as open as possible.
I took Economics, ICT, History and Triple Science for GCSE and I'm predicted A's in all. But these are only predicted, need a B in Physics to be able to do the Alevel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Very good combination if you want to do something heavily maths based, I would recommend maths mechanics rather than statistics because it compliments physics nicely.
Also, not trying to put you off but A levels are a BIG jump from GCSEs.

I am doing a Biomedical Science degree and, in all honesty, A levels are the hardest things I have ever done,..
Not trying to put you off, just don't underestimate the work you will have to put in.
Original post by shishi16
Hi, I'm going to start AS next year and the subjects I've chosen are Maths, ICT, Physics and Economics. I have no clue of what I want to be in the future, so its hard to decide on the subjects.

I want to do Physics because I recently began to enjoy it nearing the end of the year (this was for all GCSE triple science subjects, I hated them only because I wasn't trying, thankfully I realised this and fixed myself). I'm worried that I won't be able to cope with the Alevel as ive heard its like the hardest subject, anyone have any advice & techniques on how to revise effectively for it?

I enjoyed GCSE ICT so much as it was so chilled, which is why I've picked it for A Level, its the Single Vocational ICT course. This is the one my teacher recommended for me. But after some research, I've found that many students found ICT a subject that wasn't worth it, found it considerably hard (even the smart students coming out with grades way below expectations) and the universities don't value it much. So im now having second thoughts about it, I don't want to regret it in the future and restrict my opportunities, what are your thoughts on this?

If I did change ICT, I'd most likely choose Chemistry instead, which I enjoyed at GCSE. And the same with this, I don't know if I'd regret this.

I do wish to go to a good university in the future, but don't know what I want to study yet, so i'm trying to keep my options as open as possible.
I took Economics, ICT, History and Triple Science for GCSE and I'm predicted A's in all. But these are only predicted, need a B in Physics to be able to do the Alevel.

Good choice. Remember to work hard though cause a levels are no joke. Work hard and have fun in your FREE time and you'll do fine. Please start revision as soon as you can because the amount of people in sixth who chose subjects like these have failed already. And don't do theses subjects just to impress family or parents.
Original post by DAtgirlxox
Good choice. Remember to work hard though cause a levels are no joke. Work hard and have fun in your FREE time and you'll do fine. Please start revision as soon as you can because the amount of people in sixth who chose subjects like these have failed already. And don't do theses subjects just to impress family or parents.

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to do as much prep as I can in this summer holiday, by looking at the syllabus and reading up on things so when I start it hopefully won't seem terrifying. I'm planning to go over the content in each lesson afterschool, and gradually build up notes on OneNote ready for exam time, do you think this is a good idea?

i havent done these subjects myself, but my advice, certainly for physics, would be to start revising pretty much straight away. sounds over the top, but ultimately it will pay off. google which text books are the best (don't necessarily rely on teacher recommendations) and memorise the stuff. don't overload tyourself - save the specifics until revision time, but so long as you have a solid overview of each topic ahead of time, you'll be laughing. good luck
Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to do as much prep as I can in this summer holiday, by looking at the syllabus and reading up on things so when I start it hopefully won't seem terrifying. I'm planning to go over the content in each lesson afterschool, and gradually build up notes on OneNote ready for exam time, do you think this is a good idea?

Yes by doing the prep it will really help in the long run. Get your folders for your four classes and get your supplies now and sort out your syllabuses and subject content sheets depending on what exam board you're on. I know mine were all edexcel so I started looking for the syllabus and unit content sheets as soon as I knew that and it's paid off because I knew what would come up in the lessons in class and how to tackle the exams and assignments. You will really strive becUse you sound passionate and dedicated. :smile:
I think they are quite good subjects ( especially if you want to go into a science based occupation )
im doing AS next year and doing

- English Literature
- Geography
- Philosophy and ethics
- Sociology
- Classical Civilisation ( an extra option - after-school lesson )

Quick Reply

Latest