The Student Room Group

Do employers legally have to pay you for the hours you've done?

Got a job at JD Wetherspoons, been there for 2 days, and well... I'm already looking for a new job. It literally caused physical pain, blisters on my fingers due to carrying out extremely hot plates and my body is aching.

Anyway, they pay weekly, I should effectively get paid for two inductions (10 hours in total) + 19 hours of actual work that I done. I'm just slightly concerned that if I quit, they'll choose to take the pay away from me. Stupid question and I know they probably can't, but just wanted to double check. Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Man up a little, you've got a bar job, you're hardly doing real manual labour.

But yes you'll get paid, your hours have been logged and you'll be transferred the money automatically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
In your situation then yes, unless you have already used up a load of paid holiday.

You could just ask if there is an oven glove or something to carry hot plates, that would/should be part of health and safety in the workplace! As for your body aching, grow a pair and get used to it, that is what work is like anywhere where you have to stand/walk around and carry things etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Conzy210
Man up a little, you've got a bar job, you're hardly doing real manual labour.

But yes you'll get paid, your hours have been logged and you'll be transferred the money automatically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd be surprised. It's at Gatwick, airside, and it's the second busiest pub in the country. I must've carried at least 100 hot plates out an hour, and when I say hot, I literally mean hot. It's amusing really because you're not allowed to give it to the customers due to the heat of the plate, you have to place it on the table in front of them because apparently
"It risks them dropping the plate", yet we're supposedly allowed to carry them.
Yes they have to pay you but you also have to work your notice period which is one week at Wetherspoons.
Original post by Vossy1996
Got a job at JD Wetherspoons, been there for 2 days, and well... I'm already looking for a new job. It literally caused physical pain, blisters on my fingers due to carrying out extremely hot plates and my body is aching.

Anyway, they pay weekly, I should effectively get paid for two inductions (10 hours in total) + 19 hours of actual work that I done. I'm just slightly concerned that if I quit, they'll choose to take the pay away from me. Stupid question and I know they probably can't, but just wanted to double check. Cheers!

Hot plates? At Wetherspoons?
Don't walk your notice [Just quitting and not going back] means as you broke the contract therefore JD Weatherspoons legally do not have to pay you as you broke the contract.

Honesty you need to [wo]man the hell up and accept that work is hard.
What you going to do, sue them?

It's probably automatic, if you don't, tough, you can't afford to sue them.
Original post by Vossy1996
You'd be surprised. It's at Gatwick, airside, and it's the second busiest pub in the country. I must've carried at least 100 hot plates out an hour, and when I say hot, I literally mean hot. It's amusing really because you're not allowed to give it to the customers due to the heat of the plate, you have to place it on the table in front of them because apparently
"It risks them dropping the plate", yet we're supposedly allowed to carry them.

I've worked in plenty of bars and had to a lot more tiring activities than take plates out quickly. Everyone else manages to work there, don't be so soft.

Also, use a tea towel to carry them out, or a heat mat, I've worked for Wetherspoons and they always provide them, not that anyone uses them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Le Nombre
What you going to do, sue them?

It's probably automatic, if you don't, tough, you can't afford to sue them.

1) Legal Aid
2) Yes he could quite rightfully sue them if they didn't pay him, and potentially end up with more considering the company would be breaking the law.

Original post by Conzy210
I've worked in plenty of bars and had to a lot more tiring activities than take plates out quickly. Everyone else manages to work there, don't be so soft.
Also, use a tea towel to carry them out, or a heat mat, I've worked for Wetherspoons and they always provide them, not that anyone uses them.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by callum_law
You're weak. You don't deserve to be paid.

And the award for "completely avoiding answering the question" goes to... BOTH OF YOU!
you've got a bar job, one of the easiest jobs about and you can't hack it?

Give it three weeks(your body will get fitter in that time and you'll find it easy), if you still cant do it then quit and do your weeks notice, at least then you get a months worth of pay.

Better than going home to mummy cos you forgot to use a napkin to carry a hot plate :wink: (jk btw(but seriously, get on with it))
Original post by Inexorably
1) Legal Aid
2) Yes he could quite rightfully sue them if they didn't pay him, and potentially end up with more considering the company would be breaking the law.
And the award for "completely avoiding answering the question" goes to... BOTH OF YOU!

The OP won't be eligible for Legal Aid as it doesn't cover non payment of wages. Also the OP would need to proof they actually done the hours in the first place.
Reply 12
Jesus Christ I was only asking whether they'd legally have to pay me or not - As for the proof of hours, I'd easily be able to prove it because I clocked in via the electronic system, which not only requires a personal employee number, but also scans your fingerprint before you sign in so nobody but myself would actually be able to sign in unless I was there.
Does your contract mention any deductions?
Original post by Furios
what the **** is your problem, he/she doesn't like the job and was asking a question about it, they didn't ask what you think of them. Who say's the bars time has been wasted? they made the op work didn't they? sometimes you're not cut out for things, if the op doesn't enjoy it then they should leave. Your opinion doesn't count because you don't fully know the op nor his problems.

Oh shut up, silly child. He's a waster who, unless he has ME, has no excuse of saying he doesn't like it. And don't forget that he didn't just say that he doesn't want to to do it because of the hot plates (which lol), he said he found the work too physically exhausting like he's working on a building site or something. He deserves to be ridiculed because he's the product of weak up-bringing. No backbone. This is the only way to correct this issue before it matures into a lifetime of moaning and living off JSA.
(edited 8 years ago)
1) Legal Aid

I haven't read his contract. I can only offer an opinion of what information is given to me, i.e. he's a waster.
Your hours are logged, they put it into the system and will be paid to you on the following Friday (or whatever day your payday is) automatically.
x

Are you brain dead? I firstly responded to the original question with my first post, then replied directly to what he said when quoted me, and even gave him some advice.

Clearly not the brightest are you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
if your contract says you need to provide notice period, then they can accuse you of breech of contact, and withhold pay. you should look at your contract. i would hazard a guess that they would pay you anyway, since they have a reputation to uphold.
Reply 19
I hate to say it op but...maybe the others are right even though theres more polite ways to say it, you should possibly suck it up, its not that big of a bar (just saw it on youtube) ..unless you have some condition. I think you should wait for a few more days your body should adjust.

Quick Reply

Latest