The Student Room Group

Trying to gain weight - all going to my stomach :(

I'm 5'10 and have a naturally fast metabolism. I used to weigh 125lbs (9 stone) a few months ago but felt I was really skinny and wanted to gain weight. I've managed to gain 16 pounds so I'm now 141lbs (10 stone). I want to gain another 10 pounds at least, my ideal would be 11 stone.

The thing is most of my weight gain has been going to my stomach. I used to have a flat stomach now it's fatter and pudgy. I look pregnant and its poking out through my tops. At first it was going to my butt but then all of a sudden recently I lost my butt weight gain and it started going to my tummy?? My legs are bigger now though which I like.

Why did it start going to my tummy all of a sudden? I'm now even considering losing weight (don't really want to) just to get rid of this fat tummy. My arms are still like sticks too ugh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bubblelicious
I'm 5'10 and have a naturally fast metabolism. I used to weigh 125lbs (9 stone) a few months ago but felt I was really skinny and wanted to gain weight. I've managed to gain 16 pounds so I'm now 141lbs (10 stone). I want to gain another 10 pounds at least, my ideal would be 11 stone.

The thing is most of my weight gain has been going to my stomach. I used to have a flat stomach now it's fatter and pudgy. I look pregnant and its poking out through my tops. At first it was going to my butt but then all of a sudden recently I lost my butt weight gain and it started going to my tummy?? My legs are bigger now though which I like.

Why did it start going to my tummy all of a sudden? I'm now even considering losing weight (don't really want to) just to get rid of this fat tummy. My arms are still like sticks too ugh.

Start so strength program like SL or SS if you have access to gym or do some body weight exercise if possible to get some muscle mass not just increasing calorie intake which more likely to increase your BMI . Read FAQ in the fittness section if want to know more about the SS or SL stuff.
Why on earth do you want to gain another stone, to be 11 stone?!

I'd just stay your current weight and focus on toning up tbh. You can't expect wait all to go to 'nice' areas like boobs and bum, and none to go to stomach.
Your weight is already fine.

I hope you're doing some form of resistance training along with your extra eating to ensure that you don't just put on body fat.
Naturally skinny people always find the stomach to be the primary area of fat gain - this is where the term "skinny-fat" comes from. You'd be much better off focusing on putting on muscular weight as opposed to fat, as you won't look any better for the fat gain.

At the risk of being too blunt: do you actually train?
Original post by The Blind Monk
At the risk of being too blunt: do you actually train?

No I'm too weak lol
This is why the healthy way to gain weight is through weights. Muscle mass and definition for your arms and legs will do the trick without that unwanted stomach fat.

You were originally fine at 9 stone, which isn't light in my books, but you are tall so it balances out.

I think if I remember correctly stomach fat is one of the least healthy, and the more there is the increased risk of obesity related illnesses.

And really if you truely had a fast metabolism you wouldn't be able to put on and maintain extra fat at all.

Lose the weight on the stomach then use weights to build your arms up.
No I'm too weak lol

You are aware that some form of resistance training is going to be necessary to actually put those calories to use in some way that does not just involve adding a spare tyre? Training is the only method of controlling where the new mass goes. Otherwise you are just putting yourself on the fast track to obesity. Which does not appear to be the goal.

There is no 'I'm too weak.' You may have to scale things to what you are currently capable of but nearly everybody who is not on death's door can train in some way, shape or form.
Where did you get the idea to gain weight? If you're noticing your stomach getting fatter then you probably don't need to gain any more weight...
You gotta do at least some light training to put the calories to use. Not cardio, cos that's just gonna make you lose it again, but any kind of stretching exercises will help, pilates, **** like that. Then add weights as you get stronger. It'll get better, pinky promise :P
Original post by anonwinner
Where did you get the idea to gain weight? If you're noticing your stomach getting fatter then you probably don't need to gain any more weight...

People were always giving me grief for being 'really skinny' I hated it.

It's really not that complicated. Eat more and lift weights (or do some other form of activity that requires you to overcome resistance).

Posted from TSR Mobile

The people saying your really skinny are probably just jealous. You should weigh yourself and measure your height then work out your BMI to see if you're in the 'normal' range. If you are then you can stop worrying about your weight.

If you're worried about having a small ass then start doing squats consistently, you won't see dramatic changes straight away but after some time you will start adding muscle

Quick Reply

Latest