The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, how can you answer this question without SUVAT?

A bullet of mass 50g is fired from a rifle with a velocity of 300m/s. It hits a bank of earth and after travelling 60cm into the bank comes to rest.

What is the average stopping force of the earth in the bank on the bullet?
A
37.5N
B
3.75 x 10-3N.
C
3.75 x 10-4N
D
3.75 x 10-6N
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Funky_Giraffe

A bullet of mass 50g is fired from a rifle with a velocity of 300m/s. It hits a bank of earth and after travelling 60cm into the bank comes to rest.

A
37.5N
B
3.75 x 103N.
C
3.75 x 104N
D
3.75 x 106N

S= 0.6m
U= 300m/s
V= 0m/s
A= ?
T= ?

We know that F=MA, we know Mass and want Force so we need to find Acceleration.

Use V^2 = U^2 + 2AS
0^2 = 300^2 + 2*0.6*A
0 = 90,000 + 1.2A
1.2A = - 90,000
A = 75,000 (Sign is irrelevant as we just want magnitude not direction)

F=MA = (50 * 10^-3) * 75,000 = 3750 = 3.75*10^3

So answer is: B
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Funky_Giraffe

A
37.5N
B
3.75 x 103N.
C
3.75 x 104N
D
3.75 x 106N

the bullet is travelling in air with some kinetic energy which we can calculated by 1/2mv^2, i.e. 0.5*0.05*300^2 = 2250J.

When it hits the 'bank of earth' the frictional force or the 'stopping' force has to do work on the bullet to make it stop. There's a handy equation for this, W=Fd.
W = 2250J because we want to get the KE to equal 0.
d= 0.6m

so F=2250/0.6 = 3750 (or 3.75*10^3).

anyway, do suvat equation it's much easier.
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
then you just put in the values to get a.
Then you use F=ma to get the stopping force.
Hi,
How would you do this question
IMG_20151005_215738.jpg
Original post by swopnil
the bullet is travelling in air with some kinetic energy which we can calculated by 1/2mv^2, i.e. 0.5*0.05*300^2 = 2250J.

When it hits the 'bank of earth' the frictional force or the 'stopping' force has to do work on the bullet to make it stop. There's a handy equation for this, W=Fd.
W = 2250J because we want to get the KE to equal 0.
d= 0.6m

so F=2250/0.6 = 3750 (or 3.75*10^3).

anyway, do suvat equation it's much easier.
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
then you just put in the values to get a.
Then you use F=ma to get the stopping force.

Original post by Sketches
S= 0.6mU= 300m/sV= 0m/sA= ?T= ?We know that F=MA, we know Mass and want Force so we need to find Acceleration.Use V^2 = U^2 + 2AS0^2 = 300^2 + 2*0.6*A0 = 90,000 + 1.2A1.2A = - 90,000A = 75,000 (Sign is irrelevant as we just want magnitude not direction)F=MA = (50 * 10^-3) * 75,000 = 3750 = 3.75*10^3So answer is: B

Many thanks to you both. I just didn't want to have to learn suvat... but then again if it's easier I may as well :biggrin:!!
Original post by TreeTaps
Hi,
How would you do this question
IMG_20151005_215738.jpg

Power = energy / time

(gravitation poteintial) energy = mass * gravitation field strength * height
you may have seen this as GPE=mgh
Original post by swopnil
Power = energy / time

(gravitation poteintial) energy = mass * gravitation field strength * height
you may have seen this as GPE=mgh

Thanks! My formula was wrong I had power *time!
Reply 267
Hey Guys! Does anyone know/ can anyone explain Q 34 and 35 of Section 1 2009??
How would this question be solved? _20151005_221801.JPG I just cant work out the time of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bmatfreak
Guys need help again :frown:

Guys please help with my above mentioned questions!! would really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 270
Has everyone started preparing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
Original post by olivia7001
how is everyone preparing for section 2, ive wrtten down some things from the content guide but the questions are so hard even though ive done all 3 sciences and maths to AS???
like theyre so hard and time consuming but I dont wanna do the past papers until i know im more prepared.

What Qs are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 272
Which is the best book for BMAT?
Reply 273
Original post by TreeTaps
How would this question be solved? _20151005_221801.JPG I just cant work out the time of it.

P=E/t
E = mgh = 5kg*10m/s^2*5m = 250J
As it says that 5kg passes trough every second, t=1s
So, P = 250/1 = 250 W

When the water leaves the nozzle, total change in KE = total change in GPE.
Therefore, 1/2mv^2 = 250
v^2 = 250/2.5
v^2 = 100
v = 10 m/s
So the answer should be G.
Original post by lightwoXd
For anyone who's still looking for revision materials, I found this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-UKCAT-BMAT-Questions-University/dp/1446271226) very helpful when I sat the BMAT last year - it gives you some general tips on each section before giving you practice questions, and was very good especially for Section 3. Check to see if your school/college has it in the library if you can (or maybe even your public library) so you don't have to spend any money if you don't need to :wink:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/bmat/ was also shown to me by my college - it has a bunch of practice questions similar to those you'd find in Sections 1 and 2. I didn't use it much myself as I wasn't fond of the format but this might help some of you anyway :smile:

General things I found about the BMAT last year were that it helps to scribble down things on the question paper for Section 1 if you need to. Also in Section 1 there are a fair few critical thinking type questions where you're given a passage of text and are asked to find the most likely conclusion, reasonable assumptions that can be made based on the text etc. These are usually straightforward though and the UKCAT will have given you some practice if you've done it.
In Section 2 most of the content is GCSE level but some does stray a little into AS - last year it was very maths and physics heavy (my weaknesses haha), so it's worth brushing up on your weak spots if you have them. It is fairly straightforward for the most part though :smile:
In Section 3 you'll end up with more time than you need if you have a good question and are a fast writer. An earlier post said spend about half your time planning and half your time writing which seems about right. Make sure you answer all the subquestions in the question and pick about 2 or 3 points from each side of the argument to use in the essay - don't try to use every point you come up with because you'll run out of space. Just keep it concise and well argued and you should be okay :smile:
You can use bullet points if you want - we were shown some sample 5A answers that did this.

This ended up way longer than I intended to, but hopefully this will help someone :smile:

so do you would the GCSE science just be core science or does it include additional and further additional science?
thanks!
Original post by M/\/T
P=E/t
E = mgh = 5kg*10m/s^2*5m = 250J
As it says that 5kg passes trough every second, t=1s
So, P = 250/1 = 250 W

When the water leaves the nozzle, total change in KE = total change in GPE.
Therefore, 1/2mv^2 = 250
v^2 = 250/2.5
v^2 = 100
v = 10 m/s
So the answer should be G.

Thanks!
Original post by qwertyisthebest
so do you would the GCSE science just be core science or does it include additional and further additional science?
thanks!

I honestly cannot remember half of what was on the GCSE Science syllabuses (syllabi?) so I may be wrong, but I'm 99% sure it includes additional and triple. If in doubt check out the assumed knowledge guide on the BMAT website because I'm pretty sure they don't include absolutely everything in there, though. :smile:
Original post by Azula
Thank you :smile:
Is the ISC 400 book good? I have it but i'm not sure how similar the questions are to the past papers

Hi Azula

We can't comment directly on this, since we have not been through all of the ISC questions. Obviously it's very important that you practice with the most up to date questions. So we would recommend looking at the 2014 BMAT paper - which has just been released - and cross referencing against the kind of questions in the book to ensure they are of the right level.

For online practice, you could try this bank of 500+ questions.

TMP
Original post by 
What books are the best?I've heard there's a new spec, which books are best and most reliable/representative?
Thanks a lot!
Also any online things like Medify? I'd rather not however because it's not on computer, but for learning i wouldn't mind.

Hi - to answer your question directly, we have 500+ completely unique questions online and it's free to start.

The Medic Portal
Original post by Fibsy
How do you turn your marks/percentage into a score like that? I did section 1 of the specimen paper and got 63% but I don't know what that translates as, or even if it's good or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Fibsy

Sorry for the late reply. Luckily to seems others have addressed your question. The best way, as suggested already, is to use the conversions on the past paper answer keys.

The Medic Portal

Latest

Trending

Trending