The Student Room Group

Work experience!

I really need help with my work experience...Its tomorrow- (6th July) and I have no idea what to wear, I'm going to work in a primary school. The dress code is Smart clothing and sensible shoes!
Would leggings be acceptable?
PLEASE HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Leggings are not smart, Wear a skirt or black trousers.
Original post by Demileah1999
I really need help with my work experience...Its tomorrow- (6th July) and I have no idea what to wear, I'm going to work in a primary school. The dress code is Smart clothing and sensible shoes!
Would leggings be acceptable?
PLEASE HELP!

School uniform just give an excuse you don't have any other blazer etc.
yeh like black leggings and a long top, sounds fine, it is summer afterall.
Reply 4
Original post by SonicOfPron
Leggings are not smart, Wear a skirt or black trousers.

I don't have any black trousers, and the only skirt I have is my school skirt which wont be acceptable....Surely some teachers wear leggings?
Don't wear leggings, wear a skirt or something
Reply 6
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
yeh like black leggings and a long top, sounds fine, it is summer afterall.

Yeah that is what I was thinking.
Maybe black leggings with sandals and a long top and maybe a black blazer?
The dress code says, No jeans, no trainers, and no branded clothing etc... and also sensible shoes?
Reply 7
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Don't wear leggings, wear a skirt or something

What kind of skirt though, as im working with children, maybe smaller children so I want to be comfortable enough to sit down on the carpet with them etc.....
Yeah that is what I was thinking.
Maybe black leggings with sandals and a long top and maybe a black blazer?
The dress code says, No jeans, no trainers, and no branded clothing etc... and also sensible shoes?

Maybe leave that to the 2nd day as your first day gonna be first impressions so over dressed is better than underdressed.
Reply 9
Maybe leave that to the 2nd day as your first day gonna be first impressions so over dressed is better than underdressed.

So what would be best for the first day? As I want to feel comfortable as I am planning on working with smaller children, so more activities would need to be done, for example they sit on the carpet and things like that?
So what would be best for the first day? As I want to feel comfortable as I am planning on working with smaller children, so more activities would need to be done, for example they sit on the carpet and things like that?

Properly black trousers but then again i'm male so its easier for me.
Properly black trousers but then again i'm male so its easier for me.

Ahh, well I don't think I own any proper black trousers? Although leggings are tight, wouldn't they be okay with a long top and black blazer?
What kind of skirt though, as im working with children, maybe smaller children so I want to be comfortable enough to sit down on the carpet with them etc.....

Wear any skirt but wear tights or shorts on underneath
Wear any skirt but wear tights or shorts on underneath

I don't own a proper skirt, only my current school skirt which probably wont be acceptable as smart, leggings are like the only thing I own?
Reply 14
I think leggings would be ok, as long as you wear something like a skirt (I'm sure they would be fine with a school skirt) or even trousers on top. I know you said you don't have any trousers but maybe on the first day you could talk to one of the staff members there and ask them if what you wear is appropriate and what ideas they have. Plus, they won't make a big deal out of it if what you wear is slightly different to their expectations. As long as you show them that you are the type of person they want to employ. Good luck anyway!
Original post by Guy123
I think leggings would be ok, as long as you wear something like a skirt (I'm sure they would be fine with a school skirt) or even trousers on top. I know you said you don't have any trousers but maybe on the first day you could talk to one of the staff members there and ask them if what you wear is appropriate and what ideas they have. Plus, they won't make a big deal out of it if what you wear is slightly different to their expectations. As long as you show them that you are the type of person they want to employ. Good luck anyway!

Well I don't think my skirt would be acceptable as the type of skirt people are saying is a tight long skirts, like office ones, which I don't own. Neither do I have black trousers, basically all I own is leggings, I want something to feel comfortable in, and I was thinking, legggings, sandals and a long floaty top with a black blazer?
Reply 16
Ok, well maybe (I don't know if this is possible now) you could borrow a friend's skirt or your mum's or even quickly pop to the shops and get a cheap skirt, if they have the right one. Since, it's the summer, I guess sandals would be acceptable. As for the top and blazer, those are fine. Think of it this way, what's the worst they can say? 'Go home and get changed'. They wouldn't do that. The most they would do is advise you on what to wear the next day, but most likely you will be fine :smile:
I don't own a proper skirt, only my current school skirt which probably wont be acceptable as smart, leggings are like the only thing I own?

Wear trousers, chinos or jeans
Wear trousers, chinos or jeans

Smart dress code...Specifically says no jeans, no branded clothing and no trainers so jeans and chinos are a no no :smile:
Smart dress code...Specifically says no jeans, no branded clothing and no trainers so jeans and chinos are a no no :smile:

A dress? I'm running out of options

Quick Reply

Latest