The Student Room Group

How much should nurses be paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyc123
After recent headlines about all non-EU workers earning under £35k being deported, it is clear the nursing workforce will be affected by this drop in the number of nurses in the UK.

Nurses start work on £21,692 and only very few will ever reach the £35k figure,

So how much do you think nurses should be paid?

More than footballers.

Saving lives > Sport
Original post by MatureStudent36
You've associated privatisation with a reduction in service.

How do you rate the GPs service?

Privatisation and reduction of quality and services go hand in hand. I havent seen my gp in nearly 5 years. His surgery was very overstretched and he never had the funds to maintain a practice nurse.

You still havent addressed the fact OTs and physios receive the same benefits as nurses. Why this deep seated hate for nurses
Original post by claireestelle
Those individuals wont make it past the interview process

I think that's placing a lot of faith in the interview process.

Everyone claims their interview process sifts everyone who doesn't enjoy the job, yet most people still seem to dislike their job. To take an extreme example, Goldman claim they sift for people who enjoy investment banking. Now, they have a hugely rigorous 3 month interview, and thousands and thousands of applicants to choose from. They could probably fill the jobs with just people who genuinely enjoy analyst work, how many junior analysts do you reckon are in it for the love of it?

Within Medicine and Nursing, I have a mate whose entire job is defending professional conduct suits for the MDU etc. Many of his clients clearly totally lack empathy (per him, obviously he's good at his job and can portray them as empathetic at the hearing), but some have been in practice 20 years by the time he meets them.
Original post by Absorbaloff
Privatisation and reduction of quality and services go hand in hand. I havent seen my gp in nearly 5 years. His surgery was very overstretched and he never had the funds to maintain a practice nurse.

You still havent addressed the fact OTs and physios receive the same benefits as nurses. Why this deep seated hate for nurses

GP services have been outsourced (privatised) since the inception of the NHS.

France has a joint public/private health service and is acknowledged as the best in Europe .

Good management ensures good service, and sadly theres no correlation between good management and public or private ownership .

What we have her is concerns of those involved in the welfare that they will somehow loose out or be held accountable , using fear tactics in order to get the general public to defend their own positions.
Over the years an increasing number of services within the NHS have been privatised. In 2011 there were less than 400,000 nurses and midwives and now there are over 600,000. The quality of the NHS has eroded massively, and I love the NHS and I'm too young to know what it was like in the 70's, 80's, 90's etc, but I can only assume it was a lot better than it is now.

Nurses do get great benefits, but at the cost of a stagnant pay. And why do you consistently say nurses, when I have already told you OTs and physio's reap exactly the same benefits but also voice concerns over their low pay.
This would be a grown up debate if I debating with someone more mature.

What benefits? Compared to a private sector professional job the only benefit, and it is a big one, is a DB pension. Plus, to be fair, well protected employment rights.

To give an idea my benefits as just a trainee are:

Life insurance at 5x salary (to go up as an associate)
Private medical insurance
Travel insurance
Bonus scheme
Free gym membership
Tech allowance (ie. Cost of a laptop, every year)
DC pension
Subsidised restaurant

Work phone, but to be honest that's a negative. If I worked for a company, rather than a firm, I'd get a share scheme and car to boot.

The government tells public sector staff they get better treatment, it's ******, but they've never worked in the private sector so know no better.
GP services have been outsourced (privatised) since the inception of the NHS.

France has a joint public/private health service and is acknowledged as the best in Europe .

Good management ensures good service, and sadly theres no correlation between good management and public or private ownership .

What we have her is concerns of those involved in the welfare that they will somehow loose out or be held accountable , using fear tactics in order to get the general public to defend their own positions.

NHS is mostly tax paid, but it's still considered one of the best healthcare systems in the world. We have poor management, maybe complaining about inflated managers pay, but lower performing health services is more productive than complaining about nurse pay and benefits
Original post by Le Nombre
What benefits? Compared to a private sector professional job the only benefit, and it is a big one, is a DB pension. Plus, to be fair, well protected employment rights.

To give an idea my benefits as just a trainee are:

Life insurance at 5x salary (to go up as an associate)
Private medical insurance
Travel insurance
Bonus scheme
Free gym membership
Tech allowance (ie. Cost of a laptop, every year)
DC pension
Subsidised restaurant

Work phone, but to be honest that's a negative. If I worked for a company, rather than a firm, I'd get a share scheme and car to boot.

The government tells public sector staff they get better treatment, it's ******, but they've never worked in the private sector so know no better.

NHS workers get decent benefits. Maternity pay, sick pay, paid leave, regular annual leaves, pensions (can be attacked), LOTS of discounts for rail, restaurants, food, even housing. But most importantly, nurses have stability in their profession. A lot of other careers are interchangeable and can be outsourced, but nursing is a profession that can't be taken over by a lower paid international worker etc.
My placement trust is in central London, and none of the nurses I've worked with live within a 3 mile radius.

Exactly. Everyone wants hospitals in central London to be well-supplied with nurses and so on, but no one wants to consider the obstacles facing those on that salary in London. In the eyes of some of these ignorant buffoons, nurses are meant to work solidly, commute miles or pay a tonne in rent and be quiet about the issues they are facing. And then they get denigrated and told that they are 'healthcare professionals who weren't clever enough to go to med school'.
NHS is mostly tax paid, but it's still considered one of the best healthcare systems in the world. We have poor management, maybe complaining about inflated managers pay, but lower performing health services is more productive than complaining about nurse pay and benefits

I will not doubt that the NHS is good value for money. Neither will I defend the incredibly top heavy management structure within the NHS.

Nobody is expecting services to suffer and they're not really.

Do you drive a car on the motorway?
I will not doubt that the NHS is good value for money. Neither will I defend the incredibly top heavy management structure within the NHS.

Nobody is expecting services to suffer and they're not really.

Do you drive a car on the motorway?

I can just about afford paying my bills, how could I afford a car. It's my own fault for doing nursing
I can just about afford paying my bills, how could I afford a car. It's my own fault for doing nursing

All the nurses I know own cars.

When you drive along the motorway you'll see 'highways agencys' vehicles going up and down the motorway keeping the traffic moving.

That job was done by the police many years ago. When they privatised it the sky was going to fall in, the motorway network was going to grind to a halt and the death rate would sky rocket. None of those happened , yet the claims were spread by those who were scared for their jobs.
All the nurses I know own cars.

When you drive along the motorway you'll see 'highways agencys' vehicles going up and down the motorway keeping the traffic moving.

That job was done by the police many years ago. When they privatised it the sky was going to fall in, the motorway network was going to grind to a halt and the death rate would sky rocket. None of those happened , yet the claims were spread by those who were scared for their jobs.

I live in London, most nurses here don't own cars, what would be the point?

What does privatising on the motorways have to do with the NHS. I'm not scared if the NHS privatises, because I'll still have my job. I'm not scared of nurses leaving the NHS as I will still have my job. There is no scenario in which I can imagine losing my job. I'm more concerned about what will happen to wards in hospitals when there is a lack of nurses. Patients suffer, I certainly won't
NHS workers get decent benefits. Maternity pay, sick pay, paid leave, regular annual leaves, pensions (can be attacked), LOTS of discounts for rail, restaurants, food, even housing. But most importantly, nurses have stability in their profession. A lot of other careers are interchangeable and can be outsourced, but nursing is a profession that can't be taken over by a lower paid international worker etc.

Most of of those things are rights, not perks. We have maternity and sick pay because it is illegal not to do so, admittedly I don't get to use all my annual leave but that is unusual and unique to the City, most professionals will.

Discounts are nice, but other professions can do those things anyway because they get paid enough. I'd rather have 20% extra on my salary as a bonus than 20% off trains. And transport is usually funded anyway, my firm pays for 70% of the cost of my Oyster.

I used to work in an Employment dept. which worked for some NHS Trusts, and the perks on offer were nothing like what our private sector clients offered professional and senior staff. The public sector is much better to work in as unskilled, low paid staff, but that's not a concern for nurses.

I'm not aware of any liberal professions being outsourced, there's hardly a glut of unemployed lawyers and accountants. Some of the back office stuff like HR and IT might be, but they're not professions.

I can understand why you might think that if you've never worked in a corporate environment, but when employers compete for staff they tend to offer a lot more perks than when they're a monopoly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
Most of of those things are rights, not perks. We have maternity and sick pay because it is illegal not to do so, admittedly I don't get to use all my annual leave but that is unusual and unique to the City, most professionals will.

Discounts are nice, but other professions can do those things anyway because they get paid enough. I'd rather have 20% extra on my salary as a bonus than 20% off trains. And transport is usually funded anyway, my firm pays for 70% of the cost of my Oyster.

I used to work in an Employment dept. which worked for some NHS Trusts, and the perks on offer were nothing like what our private sector clients offered professional and senior staff. The public sector is much better to work in as unskilled, low paid staff, but that's not a concern for nurses.

I'm not aware of any liberal professions being outsourced, there's hardly a glut of unemployed lawyers and accountants. Some of the back office stuff like HR and IT might be, but they're not professions.

I can understand why you might think that if you've never worked in a corporate environment, but when employers compete for staff they tend to offer a lot more perks than when they're a monopoly.

Before I started my nursing degree I used to work as an office assistant in the Midlands largest law firm. I always wanted to be a lawyer, and I thought this was my one way ticket to great experience. I really hated working there. People in law are so awful to each other. It's a very cut throat environment and it is quite easy to lose your job. About a year after I left they merged with another law firm, and over all 10% of jobs were lost from that merger. I stand by my statement, nursing may not be the easiest career or have the best perks but it will always have stability and I'd rather have a job than a 20% discount at Nando's
Before I started my nursing degree I used to work as an office assistant in the Midlands largest law firm. I always wanted to be a lawyer, and I thought this was my one way ticket to great experience. I really hated working there. People in law are so awful to each other. It's a very cut throat environment and it is quite easy to lose your job. About a year after I left they merged with another law firm, and over all 10% of jobs were lost from that merger. I stand by my statement, nursing may not be the easiest career or have the best perks but it will always have stability and I'd rather have a job than a 20% discount at Nando's

Oh yeah, I'm a lawyer and it is utterly cut throat, you have to be comfortable with the politics of it and happy back stabbing, but that's not a contractual thing. Nor is the more caring feel in the NHS something which comes from clause 5 of your contract.

Getting sacked is not a major issue for fee earning staff though. Yes it happens, but there are more jobs out there (maybe lower paid if you're in something like Construction in '09).

When there's a deal like Shakespeares they sack back office staff permanently, but that's not a major problem for the lawyers. If you're a partner it ups your drawings, think they're knocking over half a million PEP now, which isn't bad in the Midlands with the standard of work they have to get by on.

Fair play if you think the atmosphere isn't worth it, but that's not really a benefit to the NHS, it's not contractual. There are attempts to reform it too, we were always being asked to help create a more 'corporate atmosphere' in NHS Trusts, though to be fair they always balked at the suggestions we tabled (normally because it involved sacking and slashing managers too!).
(edited 8 years ago)
They should get more than they do, as should doctors, but this isn't a realistic proposal in a state funded healthcare system. America is the place to go if you want to get rich off the healthcare field.
Original post by amyc123
After recent headlines about all non-EU workers earning under £35k being deported, it is clear the nursing workforce will be affected by this drop in the number of nurses in the UK.
Nurses start work on £21,692 and only very few will ever reach the £35k figure,
So how much do you think nurses should be paid?

The current salary is sufficient to attract over 100,000 applicants to the 20,000 available training places and is close to the median UK salary.

I'd probably highlight its importance by increasing starting salaries to a marginally above average 27k however the priority should be to pay for more training places so that we can reduce the degree of immigration from certain areas of the world.
Original post by agentawesome
More than footballers.

Saving lives > Sport

Nurses don't save lives. And if they did, demand and supply will never allow nurses to be paid more than they are
Original post by Mrs House
Nurses don't save lives. And if they did, demand and supply will never allow nurses to be paid more than they are

Not directly but they do assist the doctors in doing so:

"They protect patients from the risks and consequences of illness, disability, and infirmity, as well as from the risks and consequences of the treatment of illness. They also protect patients from the risks that occur when illness and vulnerability make it difficult, impossible, or even lethal for patients to perform the activities of daily living -- ordinary acts like breathing, turning, going to the toilet, coughing, or swallowing."
Original post by agentawesome
Not directly but they do assist the doctors in doing so:

"They protect patients from the risks and consequences of illness, disability, and infirmity, as well as from the risks and consequences of the treatment of illness. They also protect patients from the risks that occur when illness and vulnerability make it difficult, impossible, or even lethal for patients to perform the activities of daily living -- ordinary acts like breathing, turning, going to the toilet, coughing, or swallowing."

I don't think nurses or doctors should get paid more than footballers. Top footballers anyways. Sure they help save lives once in a while but the majority of it is managing patients.

I think anyone with commitment and drive can do med or nursing but to be a top footballer requires talents too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending