The Student Room Group

Maths or Chemistry A Level?

Hello.
I just finished Year 12 and am moving onto Year 13 this September.
I am currently thinking about which subject to drop.

I'm planning to do Geography with Economics next year, but surprisingly, many don't need maths, despite the economics part.

What are the difficulty levels of maths and chemistry at A2, and is it possible to get an A at maths A2 from a B at AS maths?

Thank you.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Hello.
I just finished Year 12 and am moving onto Year 13 this September.
I am currently thinking about which subject to drop.
I'm planning to do Geography with Economics next year, but surprisingly, many don't need maths, despite the economics part.
What are the difficulty levels of maths and chemistry at A2, and is it possible to get an A at maths A2 from a B at AS maths?
Thank you.

Obviously it depends on your abilities but I thought there was quite a significant jump in difficulty in both subjects. A2 Maths is mainly more difficult because of the harder concepts and A2 Chemistry is more difficult because of the sheer amount of stuff you have to memorise. For Geography with Economics, doing A2 Maths would probably be more useful than Chemistry so my gut reaction would be take A2 Maths, unless there's a reason why you think you'd do significantly better with Chemistry.

It is possible to get an A in A2 Maths from a B in AS Maths but obviously it's going to be hard since A2 Maths is a lot harder than AS Maths. It might be worth retaking some AS units you did badly on.

Quick Reply