The Student Room Group

This is my situation - advice please.

I have a place on a secondary PGCE at an institution requiring a 2.1. I am definitely not going to make that grade now and from speaking to others who have previously been rejected, after securing a place, due to degree result I am now sure they will not let me on the course.

There are vacancies at 2 other local providers that will accept a 2.2; however, I have already applied and been rejected by both of those this year.

The information on the website of the 2.1 provider says it will only consider 2.2 applicants in the areas of physics/maths/mfl. It goes on to suggest taking 60 credits at Masters level to compensate for the lack of 2.1.

What shall I do?

Can i re-apply at the institutions that have already rejected me? Will they outright reject a further application? Should I try and beg and plead with the 2.1 uni to accept me anyway? It seems the only realistic route is to do an MA (or at least some Masters credits) and reapply next year.

To say I am GUTTED is a complete understatement :frown:
Reply 1
Surely work experience (e.g. a teaching assistant post) will be of greater value to PGCE providers than a master's degree, in terms of better supporting a reapplication next year?
Reply 2
Original post by Angelil
Surely work experience (e.g. a teaching assistant post) will be of greater value to PGCE providers than a master's degree, in terms of better supporting a reapplication next year?

*shrug*

That is what the uni suggest on their website :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
You can reapply again. It might mean that your application wasn't as strong as other candidates before but not getting closer to the end they might say yes?

PGCE's are so hard to get onto ive only just been accepted on a schools direct with PGCE after 3 years of applying. I went and got a job as a TA instead..... Is that an option? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Louise88x
You can reapply again. It might mean that your application wasn't as strong as other candidates before but not getting closer to the end they might say yes?

PGCE's are so hard to get onto ive only just been accepted on a schools direct with PGCE after 3 years of applying. I went and got a job as a TA instead..... Is that an option? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. They aren't easy to get on, are they? It is just typical I was accepted onto the one that wants a 2.1; the other two wanted 2.2's I may have scraped through with a 2.1 if I hadn't spectacularly screwed up my dissertation :frown:

I interviewed with the uni's I was rejected from pretty much right at the beginning of the application process. I guess they may reconsider now we are nearly at the end.

My friend says to just ring and ask if they will reconsider my previous application rather than applying again.

Given that I will be in apply 2 as soon as the 2.1 uni kicks me out I have started to look around for vacancies but there are definitely no others :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Are there any schools direct places near you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Are there any schools direct places near you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not any with vacancies. There were a few at the beginning of the process but I have a feeling all the schools direct routes are 2.1 minimum requirement, at least the ones that were local to me all wanted a 2.1.

I do have a place on an MA lined up, although I need to wait to see if I get the funding for it, so I 'could' always do that in September and apply next year for a PGCE place.

BUT *stamps feet* I want to do it this year!!!
Oh no! I've got a 2:2 and got on schools direct, masters is a good option though I want to do mine! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no! I've got a 2:2 and got on schools direct, masters is a good option though I want to do mine! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I may have missed it because I skim read it but are there mitigating circumstances as to why you will get a 2.2 and not a 2.1? If so you can appeal to your current institution and ask for a academic hearing. OR you could present them to the 2.1 uni as you name it and see if they will take it on board.

If not, I'd do a masters and get a job as a TA will leave you with more than enough hours to do masters work outside of uni and work and if you do a research masters or ask a uni when they run their seminars, some unis do it in the evening like my seminars Uni of Birmingham for my research masters were Thursday evenings 5-7pm once a week...
Reply 9
Original post by SpenceHarris1589
I may have missed it because I skim read it but are there mitigating circumstances as to why you will get a 2.2 and not a 2.1? If so you can appeal to your current institution and ask for a academic hearing. OR you could present them to the 2.1 uni as you name it and see if they will take it on board.

If not, I'd do a masters and get a job as a TA will leave you with more than enough hours to do masters work outside of uni and work and if you do a research masters or ask a uni when they run their seminars, some unis do it in the evening like my seminars Uni of Birmingham for my research masters were Thursday evenings 5-7pm once a week...

There are no mitigating circumstances. I just have a very busy home life, as a mature student with 4 children.

If I was graduating as a 21 year old I wouldn't feel so panicked and would simply do the MA. At 35 years old I feel I am fast running out of time to start my career; hence wondering if it is possible to re-apply to uni's I have previously been rejected from etc.
Reply 10
It is definitely possible to reapply to Unis you have been rejected from through Apply 1 in Apply 2 (I know, I did it...although my circumstances were slightly different to the ones you are in).
I would speak to admissions at the 2:1 uni first and explain your situation - they *may* still allow you your place (especially if they are struggling for 'numbers', clinical as that sounds). If not, I would ring all the PGCE admissions departments for the local unis and see where they are at with applications at this point. It's always worth checking it out because they could be chomping at the bit for extra bodies on their course.
Don't give up! I have a place at my first choice of uni now, as of a fortnight ago (having accepted elsewhere back in January), through my own sheer determination. It's worth pushing for it.
Good luck! x
Original post by G_Windy
It is definitely possible to reapply to Unis you have been rejected from through Apply 1 in Apply 2 (I know, I did it...although my circumstances were slightly different to the ones you are in).
I would speak to admissions at the 2:1 uni first and explain your situation - they *may* still allow you your place (especially if they are struggling for 'numbers', clinical as that sounds). If not, I would ring all the PGCE admissions departments for the local unis and see where they are at with applications at this point. It's always worth checking it out because they could be chomping at the bit for extra bodies on their course.
Don't give up! I have a place at my first choice of uni now, as of a fortnight ago (having accepted elsewhere back in January), through my own sheer determination. It's worth pushing for it.
Good luck! x

Thank you so much for your reply.

I will definitely be appealing the decision, should they decide to withdraw my offer after my results are released.

IF they decide there is still no way I can go on the course then I will phone the two 2.2 uni's that are local(ish) to me and ask if they will reconsider my application, or if not, if I can apply to them through apply 2.

Fingers crossed for me x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by redmel1621
Thank you so much for your reply.

I will definitely be appealing the decision, should they decide to withdraw my offer after my results are released.

IF they decide there is still no way I can go on the course then I will phone the two 2.2 uni's that are local(ish) to me and ask if they will reconsider my application, or if not, if I can apply to them through apply 2.

Fingers crossed for me x

I really hope you get this sorted. For reasons of UCAS 'protocol' they will probably ask you to re-apply through Apply 2, but you'll only be able to do that as and when your current uni have withdrawn their offer. Changing mine last minute was a bit of a stress - if it comes to that, make sure you rind UCAS and explain to them exactly what you need to happen, because if someone doesn't follow it to the letter, it can potentially lock you out of the system until next years applications open. Don't mean to stress you out any further, just wanted to alert you as I know how much my heart was in my mouth when I was altering all mine. x
Original post by G_Windy
I really hope you get this sorted. For reasons of UCAS 'protocol' they will probably ask you to re-apply through Apply 2, but you'll only be able to do that as and when your current uni have withdrawn their offer. Changing mine last minute was a bit of a stress - if it comes to that, make sure you rind UCAS and explain to them exactly what you need to happen, because if someone doesn't follow it to the letter, it can potentially lock you out of the system until next years applications open. Don't mean to stress you out any further, just wanted to alert you as I know how much my heart was in my mouth when I was altering all mine. x

Thanks I will bear that in mind when doing it, should I have my current offer withdrawn.

I am hoping they will take life experience into account and allow me to continue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending