The Student Room Group

Going from single sex school to uni?

Hello;
Was hoping some people had experience with this particular problem: I've been going to an all boys school for the past 7 years, during this time pretty much zero contact with girls and I am worried about making a bad impression when I first arrive at university.. is this likely to happen? (socially I am not great even around other guys)

Anyone already been there, done that? Any advice for uni that might be helpful for someone that struggles socially generally?

went to a single sex secondary school and now just finished first year of uni.

result: im still single.

my two cents
Reply 2
Easy advice without going technical.

Listen 80% of the time.
Ask questions, about them/ their story/life.
Find something you've done in common and can joke about and do so.
Don't talk about yourself much - mystery = sexy.
Reply 3
Original post by gr8wizard10
went to a single sex secondary school and now just finished first year of uni.
result: im still single.
my two cents

Well thinking of a relationship would be going a bit too far for me..
No, I am just hoping to make more of an effort to fit in a little better than at school, maybe iAmanze is right: talking less could help my cause
Original post by GrimOllie
Well thinking of a relationship would be going a bit too far for me..
No, I am just hoping to make more of an effort to fit in a little better than at school, maybe iAmanze is right: talking less could help my cause

my advice, don't get distracted by them.. get a first, work hard, become rich, get any girl u want.
Look mate, just relax. Us girls aren't anything to get that nervous over. If you want to get along with girls you simply treat us as actual human beings, talk to us, make jokes, don't be a creep. If you have good hygiene, don't behave like an ass and don't behave like the only thing you want is to get laid, then chances are that you'll do just fine. Not good talking to girls? Practice by talking to girls.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinemetu3
Look mate, just relax. Us girls aren't anything to get that nervous over. If you want to get along with girls you simply treat us as actual human beings, talk to us, make jokes, don't be a creep. If you have good hygiene, don't behave like an ass and don't behave like the only thing you want is to get laid, then chances are that you'll do just fine. Not good talking to girls? Practice by talking to girls.

You are right on all counts but lack of practice is exactly what makes it hard to relax: I mean if I have a bad interaction with someone (in the past I have struck up conversations with people and they have actually had to flee from me) does it get around? Do people care enough to bitch about slightly creepy people?
You are right on all counts but lack of practice is exactly what makes it hard to relax: I mean if I have a bad interaction with someone (in the past I have struck up conversations with people and they have actually had to flee from me) does it get around? Do people care enough to bitch about slightly creepy people?

It depends. I meet some pretty weird people all the time when I'm working, and I don't necessarily mention them to others. If people find the urge to flee from you, you're probably being way too intense. We notice when people are trying TOO hard to keep a convo. Look for body language. Is the person you're talking to relaxed or anxious? Listen to their voice. Do they answer you short and with a neutral voice, or maybe a bit anxious? If you notice people turning away from you, keeping the convo short and awkward, then leave. don't force it.

It does get around if you're really creepy. In a "I am trying to abduct this drunk girl"-sort of way.
Hello;
Was hoping some people had experience with this particular problem: I've been going to an all boys school for the past 7 years, during this time pretty much zero contact with girls and I am worried about making a bad impression when I first arrive at university.. is this likely to happen? (socially I am not great even around other guys)

Anyone already been there, done that? Any advice for uni that might be helpful for someone that struggles socially generally?

Just be yourself.
The more you think of who you're talking to, the less actual talking you do.

Best thing you could do is be yourself. If someone doesn't like you for being someone who's been to a single sex school or for not being socially SWAGY, then fudge them!

Quick Reply

Latest