The Student Room Group

Musical Theatre Audition Song Suggestions?

I guess people could use this after me but I'm auditioning for a production of Cats and I'm not the world's greatest dancer so I'm thinking of going for more of a singing part, although my dream role would be Rumpleteazer.
I have my eye on Jellylorum. I'm considering singing "How Are Things In Glocca Morra" from Finnian's Rainbow. I'm doing that for my grade 6 singing which is coincidentally the same week as my audition so I think that'd be a great choice.
The issue is that the song doesn't allow me to act a lot... Would that still be okay or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Is the audition exclusively walking in and doing your song?

If you feel it shows your range well and you can communicate it well to the panel then stick with it. It is often much better to sing something you are comfortable with. Furthermore you will have had some additional practice in front of an audience from your exam! In my opinion, it would help settle nerves.

Do you have other songs in your repertoire or would you have to learn another song from scratch if you were to change your audition song choice? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by drobert46
Is the audition exclusively walking in and doing your song?

If you feel it shows your range well and you can communicate it well to the panel then stick with it. It is often much better to sing something you are comfortable with. Furthermore you will have had some additional practice in front of an audience from your exam! In my opinion, it would help settle nerves.

Do you have other songs in your repertoire or would you have to learn another song from scratch if you were to change your audition song choice? :smile:

No I think I'm doing 2 dances and the song. It shows off my comfortable range - middle C to high F (although I can get Gs and As comfortably each side as well).
I know a bunch of other songs but I think they're too easy or don't show off my range or anything very well.
I think it's the safest option as I've worked on it for a couple of months now and I've used it for my AS music performance too... :P

Quick Reply

Latest