The Student Room Group

Crooked Smile

Hello, I'm not sure if I am right to post this thread in this section so mods feel free to move it.

I have a crooked smile and it makes me feel really insecure whenever I smile. Everyone else seems to have almost perfect teeth and smiles but whenever I laugh I always try my hardest not to open my mouth and show my smile. The same goes for photos - I always smile with my mouth closed. This really frustrates me and I am beginning to look in to potential techniques in correcting this. As you can see below, I have attached cropped images of my smile.

However I was wondering what the people on TSR think. I completely understand that none of you are facial surgeons, however I would love your suggestions please as this is something that is really bothering me. Don't be afraid to suggest ideas that may cost a lot of money - I am prepared to save up money for treatment. I'm 16 and a half if that helps.

Thanks a lot if you can help - it means a lot!
Reply 1
Here are the photos
Reply 2

Apologies, had problems with uploading the photos
Reply 3
I felt exactly the same when I was your age. The dentist refused me treatment to get braces because apparently my case was too mild. I was extremely self conscious and also would never show my teeth when i smile and would avoid laughing infront of others. So when I started working I saved up and paid for invisalign braces myself. Even though it was damn expensive, I don't regret it one bit. My self-esteem was instantly boosted. I now smile and laugh more than ever without a care in the world.
Have you tried getting braces from the NHS first?
Reply 4
Original post by ice cube
I felt exactly the same when I was your age. The dentist refused me treatment to get braces because apparently my case was too mild. I was extremely self conscious and also would never show my teeth when i smile and would avoid laughing infront of others. So when I started working I saved up and paid for invisalign braces myself. Even though it was damn expensive, I don't regret it one bit. My self-esteem was instantly boosted. I now smile and laugh more than ever without a care in the world.
Have you tried getting braces from the NHS first?

Thanks for the reply :smile: Believe it or not, but I've actually had braces (for 2.5 years and got them off just under 2 years ago) but I feel as though I got them off too early in hindsight, although I think that the main reason behind my crooked smile is the shape of my upper lip which is why I suggested that perhaps some mild form of surgery may be needed :/
Reply 5
Hm okay well I can't view the photos..perhaps cos you're posting as anonymous. Well perhaps you can try talking to your dentist about this (or even GP) and seek advice about it.
Reply 6
listen to J coles crooked smile
love yourself man
Reply 7
Original post by ice cube
Hm okay well I can't view the photos..perhaps cos you're posting as anonymous. Well perhaps you can try talking to your dentist about this (or even GP) and seek advice about it.

Yeah I had problems with uploading the photos. My third post showed they displayed properly but now they have disappeared. One last try.

Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest