The Student Room Group

Majority of Britons now see Muslims as a threat as terror concerns grow

More people in Britain believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse than those who believe it makes the country better, according to a new survey.

The survey by YouGov, commissioned by the Huffington Post, demonstrates a large decrease in the proportion of the population who believe that multiculturalism benefits the country.

The latest figures, polled for the anniversary of the 7/7 bombings in London, show the changing views of the country - the proportion of people who felt that Islam, as distinct from Islamic fundamentalist groups, poses a major threat to Western liberal democracy jumped from one in ten in 2001, to 27 per cent.

In addition the amount of people who regard Islam as a threat to Western liberal democracy had risen from 32 per cent in 2001, to a majority of 56 per cent.

45 per cent of Ukip supporters felt that a large proportion of British Muslims feel no sense of loyalty to this country and are prepared to condone or even carry out acts of terrorism, compared to only 14 per cent of Conservatives, 8 per cent of Liberal Democrats, and 7 per cent of Labour supporters.

94 per cent of Ukip supporters thought attacks were likely, compared to 86 per cent of Conservatives, 81 per cent of Liberal Democrats, and 75 per cent of Labour supporters.

79 per cent of people in the UK believe further terrorist attacks on the scale of 7/7 on British cities and other British targets are likely.

Next week marks the 10th anniversary of 7/7, when four suicide bombers killed 52 civilians in co-ordinated attacks on public transport during London's morning rush hour.

The first suicide attack on British soil was the UK's worst terrorist incident since the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, as more than 900 people were injured.

Four British Muslim men Germaine Lindsay, Mohammed Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer and Hasib Hussain, who saw themselves as "soldiers of war" had carried out the attacks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/more-britons-believe-that-multiculturalism-makes-the-country-worse--not-better-says-poll-10366003.html

Scroll to see replies

this is good news

56 percent pf people now accept islam is a threat to us and to our societies

it's taken a while but we'll get there
Reply 2
Its not something I look forward to but I don't see how we will avoid a war on Islam as things stand. These polls alone just highlight how negative the perception of Muslims is now.
Reply 3
I should add that I do agree. I'm one of the 86% of Tory voters who does see Islam as a threat.
Islam has been fighting the 'other' since it's inception

we had beaten it back from Europe once before but it seems a lot of people have forgotten this and sadly it seems like we will have to do it again
I feel like the general attitude to muslims as a whole has degraded in the UK over the last 10 or so years due to a wide variety of things. It is only exacerbated and made worse by the immigration crisis as well as the threat of terror growing considerably in the last 15 years. They tried to make multi-cultarism work and in many cases it has but it now looks like it is finally all starting to fall apart, slowly but surely. I shudder to think how Britain will be 20 years from now with all of these issues emerging and the xenophobia that will come out of it. It's plain to see that people are getting tired of a lot of it and the passive attitude the government seems to have. I'm not one for making bold prediction but I see dark things happening in Europe over the next 10-20 years. I foresee the EU unravelling at the seams and I foresee a return to far right politics and the far right are frightening.
So this translates to western media successfully brainwashs civilians to increase their islamaphobia agenda.
Original post by digistar_100
So this translates to western media successfully brainwashs civilians to increase their islamaphobia agenda.

No such thing as Islamophobia.

Well done for proving a point
Original post by The Dictator
No such thing as Islamophobia.

Of course, i wouldn't expect you to try and justify it.
Reply 10
Be careful of me guys, i might go crazy and set off a party popper on someones birthday, worse yet, i could set off fire works on bonfire night. Call MI6 before this happens.
Original post by saeed97
Be careful of me guys, i might go crazy and set off a party popper on someones birthday, worse yet, i could set off fire works on bonfire night. Call MI6 before this happens.

Yes, we shall.
Of course Islam is a threat. Its ideals and values are medieval and are completely at variance with progressive, liberal civilisation in the West.
It's a shame, when most Muslims in Britain are very happy to partake in our democracy and actually wish everyone had that right.
Reply 14
Well, Muslims can say what they like but Islam's inherently religiously fuelled violent history leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't think most Muslims understand the monstrosity they follow, and if they knew the truth I think Islam's follower base would dissipate very quickly if they were more informed. I struggle to see how educated Muslims still follow this unreformed medieval ideology.

EDIT: I think calling Islam medieval is a stretch. Were talking dark ages here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by El-Presidente
Well, Muslims can say what they like but Islam's inherently religiously fuelled violent history leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't think most Muslims understand the monstrosity they follow, and if they knew the truth I think Islam's follower base would dissipate very quickly if they were more informed. I struggle to see how educated Muslims still follow this unreformed medieval ideology.

EDIT: I think calling Islam medieval is a stretch. Were talking dark ages here.

The fact that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world amidst of everything slanderous you just said shows the unity and resiliency of muslims today, especially our western young "educated Muslims" as you put it. Truth always shines through in the end no matter how much you try to suppress it.
Reply 16
The fact that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world amidst of everything slanderous you just said shows the unity and resiliency of muslims today, especially our western young "educated Muslims" as you put it. Truth always shines through in the end no matter how much you try to suppress it.

It's no secret Islam gains virtually no one from conversions, I'd take a gander many of those conversions are forced as well - infact the oft quoted source is that converts and apostates cancel eachother out, but I can't verify this.

And you do realise the biggest reason that Islam is the 'fastest growing religion' is the fact Muslims have on average 3.5 children per woman. Extensive breeding helping to cripple what's left of the world's ecosystems does not give legitimacy to Islam, infact it takes it away.

This is because your faith proscribes murder for those who want to leave it

remove the threat of death and we'd see the numbers drop

this is not something you should be proud of.
Great news.
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
Of course Islam is a threat. Its ideals and values are medieval and are completely at variance with progressive, liberal civilisation in the West.

This the same "progressive, liberal civilisation in the West" which used to run an Empire, enforce regime changes (still does) and gives backing and sells arms to murdering despots the world over?

Latest

Trending

Trending