The Student Room Group

Need advice on what I could focus on before PGCE starts.

Hi :smile:.

I start my teacher training course in September (PGCE in the UK). It is for secondary school teaching maths. I want to use these next two months to learn anything that may be useful so there is a greater chance I will do well on the course. What should I focus on looking at?

I've already arranged voluntary work at schools and am currently brusing up on my GCSE knowledge, but that's it.

If I'm in the wrong forum, or there is a similar answered thread, please redirect me.
Original post by Halven

1. Read up on behaviour management techniques and make a list of them so you can use them when needed
2. Read up on stress coping techniques and make a list of them so you can use them when needed
3. Write up your reasons to do the course and make a list of them so you can use them when needed
4. Bookmark TES
5. Bookmark the PGCE section of TSR
6. Learn how to use PowerPoint and where to get worksheets
Original post by Halven

I start my teacher training course in September (PGCE in the UK). It is for secondary school teaching maths. I want to use these next two months to learn anything that may be useful so there is a greater chance I will do well on the course. What should I focus on looking at?

I've already arranged voluntary work at schools and am currently brusing up on my GCSE knowledge, but that's it.

If I'm in the wrong forum, or there is a similar answered thread, please redirect me.

Hi

Sorry can't answer your question but just wondering if you could share how was your interview for PGCE secondary Maths? I have just sent off my application and hoping to get an interview but don't know what to expect!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Halven

You should look at the new Programme of Study for maths at KS3 and KS4 and I advise you to make sure your AS/A2 subject knowledge is secure too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-mathematics-programmes-of-study
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Juichiro
1. Read up on behaviour management techniques and make a list of them so you can use them when needed
2. Read up on stress coping techniques and make a list of them so you can use them when needed
3. Write up your reasons to do the course and make a list of them so you can use them when needed
4. Bookmark TES
5. Bookmark the PGCE section of TSR
6. Learn how to use PowerPoint and where to get worksheets

Original post by Mr M
You should look at the new Programme of Study for maths at KS3 and KS4 and I advise you to make sure your AS/A2 subject knowledge is secure too.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-mathematics-programmes-of-study

Going to devise a study plan today to fit all of this in.
And gets lots of sleep and spend time with your family and friends.

It'll take a lot out of you and those around you so enjoy your freedom now. Anything super important will be discussed in the first few weeks of your course. You aren't expected to know much at all before you start so anything you do look at will be a bonus/head start so don't over face yourself before you even get going.
Reply 6
Original post by kipikachuko88
Hi

Sorry can't answer your question but just wondering if you could share how was your interview for PGCE secondary Maths? I have just sent off my application and hoping to get an interview but don't know what to expect!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. I had an interview for a university led course and a schools direct interview.

University led course
Here there were a lot of applicants there with me. Firstly we got given a talk about how the course works and what to expect. Then we were split into groups and asked to discuss different topics of the curriculum (our groups was asked to talk about ICT in schools). Then we were asked to present this to the other groups. A member of the university monitored the groups while they were at the discussing stage so I would advise to try to get some ideas across and not be silent.

After the group discussion I had to give a presentation to two members of the university, who would then interview me afterwards. Here I had discuss a lesson that I have witnessed on BIDMAS. I had to talk about how it was delivered and how what were the reactions of the students. After this they did a job type of interview. They asked things like: What did the words 'pro-active', 'problem-solving' etc mean to me and what they mean to the curriculum. Also, they asked on how would I explain to a child on how to add fractions.

Also at some point in the day we were all presented with a report from the curriculum and had to answer questions on it. We had to read and write the answers down in exam type conditions (this was mainly to see your reading and writing skills).

School direct interview
I was told in advance I would need to present a lesson on linear graphs for a mixed set of random pupils. I rang the school up to try and get more info but they said there was nothing else to be given and to just go off that :/

So I presented my lesson and there was someone monitoring me the whole time. I then had to do a write up of the lesson of what went well and what did not.

This was followed by an interview on asking me about the lesson; about my self; my strengths and weaknesses; what I have done so far to ensure I will be a good teacher.

I did take a lesson plan write up with me, showing my analysis of my lesson (before the lesson took place). Sadly they did not want to see it which was annoying as I had spent a fair bit of time on it.

**Lesson was timed for only 20mins so was a bit cramped to try get introduction/asking the class what they already know, an activity and then a plenary**

Summary
I found both quite vague from what was given to me from each course provider so brush up on as much as you can and hopefully what I have said helps you.

One thing I did mess up on: I didn't introduce myself for the school direct lesson. Stupidly I had thought that this was already done by the school and I got told that I should of introduced myself by the people interviewing me.

I got offered both but I went for the uni led course. I initially wanted the school direct one but after meeting both the course providers I was more for doing the uni one.

Good luck on your interview :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ParadoxSocks
And gets lots of sleep and spend time with your family and friends.

It'll take a lot out of you and those around you so enjoy your freedom now. Anything super important will be discussed in the first few weeks of your course. You aren't expected to know much at all before you start so anything you do look at will be a bonus/head start so don't over face yourself before you even get going.

Thanks. I want to ensure I become a good teacher so want to use my free time learning things that will help before I am swamped. I like keeping busy but haven't really got any direction (before posting this thread) of what/where to go.
Original post by Halven
No problem. I had an interview for a university led course and a schools direct interview.

University led course
Here there were a lot of applicants there with me. Firstly we got given a talk about how the course works and what to expect. Then we were split into groups and asked to discuss different topics of the curriculum (our groups was asked to talk about ICT in schools). Then we were asked to present this to the other groups. A member of the university monitored the groups while they were at the discussing stage so I would advise to try to get some ideas across and not be silent.

After the group discussion I had to give a presentation to two members of the university, who would then interview me afterwards. Here I had discuss a lesson that I have witnessed on BIDMAS. I had to talk about how it was delivered and how what were the reactions of the students. After this they did a job type of interview. They asked things like: What did the words 'pro-active', 'problem-solving' etc mean to me and what they mean to the curriculum. Also, they asked on how would I explain to a child on how to add fractions.

Also at some point in the day we were all presented with a report from the curriculum and had to answer questions on it. We had to read and write the answers down in exam type conditions (this was mainly to see your reading and writing skills).

School direct interview
I was told in advance I would need to present a lesson on linear graphs for a mixed set of random pupils. I rang the school up to try and get more info but they said there was nothing else to be given and to just go off that :/

So I presented my lesson and there was someone monitoring me the whole time. I then had to do a write up of the lesson of what went well and what did not.

This was followed by an interview on asking me about the lesson; about my self; my strengths and weaknesses; what I have done so far to ensure I will be a good teacher.

I did take a lesson plan write up with me, showing my analysis of my lesson (before the lesson took place). Sadly they did not want to see it which was annoying as I had spent a fair bit of time on it.

**Lesson was timed for only 20mins so was a bit cramped to try get introduction/asking the class what they already know, an activity and then a plenary**

Summary
I found both quite vague from what was given to me from each course provider so brush up on as much as you can and hopefully what I have said helps you.

One thing I did mess up on: I didn't introduce myself for the school direct lesson. Stupidly I had thought that this was already done by the school and I got told that I should of introduced myself by the people interviewing me.

I got offered both but I went for the uni led course. I initially wanted the school direct one but after meeting both the course providers I was more for doing the uni one.

Good luck on your interview :smile:

Thank you so so much! Good luck with your course too - it's exciting isn't it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Halven
Thanks. I want to ensure I become a good teacher so want to use my free time learning things that will help before I am swamped. I like keeping busy but haven't really got any direction (before posting this thread) of what/where to go.

I'd look into the general things and start identifying your resources. Pinterest is absolutely brilliant. Create yourself a couple of teacher training boards to pick up tips so that when you get going you'll have a whole load of things to refer to. Behaviour management, SEND and stretch and challenge are the hardest parts of training for most and a lot of advice is insanely twee or just not realistic in the schools you'll be placed so look at what is going to suit your style.

Have a look at how they teach anything relevant to maths at primary. I'm computing and realised half way through that my pupils had learnt the required maths theory in a way completely different to how I was trying to teach them. Once I swapped to how they would have learned it in primary school, it all suddenly clicked for them.

I didn't really prepare before I started (I started so late I didn't really have chance to!) and I did really really well. Prepping now won't make you a good teacher, having the energy and imagination to just excite children will so get some rest and keep your reading casual!

A lot of our reading list was fiction or autobiographical books so they were really good prep without being too heavy. Anything to get you into the mindset of the pupils you'll be teaching will help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Halven

Hi again!

I was browsing the internet and I found this link:
http://www2.uwe.ac.uk/faculties/cahe/edu/newstudent/pgce_secondary_mathematics_pre-course_tasks_2011.doc

I think it is quite useful so have a look!

By the way can I ask one more question regarding the interview - did you have to do a Maths test and what is the level (gcse or a levels)?

Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by kipikachuko88
Hi again!

I was browsing the internet and I found this link:
http://www2.uwe.ac.uk/faculties/cahe/edu/newstudent/pgce_secondary_mathematics_pre-course_tasks_2011.doc

I think it is quite useful so have a look!

By the way can I ask one more question regarding the interview - did you have to do a Maths test and what is the level (gcse or a levels)?

Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply. There was no maths tests for either interview. I was expecting there to be one, or a few maths type questions (which had me worried incase I fluffed them on the spot).Thanks for the attachment, there are some useful things that I can use on there :smile:How did you get on?
I've just finished my Maths PGCE at UWE :smile:

I would say Subject Knowledge is the biggest thing. KS3/KS4/KS5. I focused on GCSE papers then got into my Yr7 class and had forgotten how to carry in column subtraction! So look at the basics. Learn how to do things and WHY you do it. The biggest thing I learnt during my PGCE is that it is one thing to be able to answer a question, its quite another to be able to explain why it is so to a group of students. So subject knowledge.

Find out about the new curriculum at which is being taught from Sept for KS4. Find out what is different. KS5 is also due to change. Also you could look into the changes at KS2 which will impact you at KS3 and above. The KS5 system is changing from A and AS levels to a more holistic approach which is worth looking into if you will have contact with post 16 (likely), as well as changing as a result of the KS4 changes

Get some stationary. Ringbinders, paper, poly pockets and pens.

Your uni should send you a reading list, which you could start reading over the next few weeks if you really wanted to.

But don't burn yourself out. Make the most of this free time .... you will miss it come October....

Good Luck :smile:
Sleep. Going to the dentist/optician/whatever. Buying the clothes you'll need for the year. Getting all the basic jobs you need doing that you can only get done in office hours. Organise your finances. Watch all the box sets you've ever wanted to watch. Stock up with anything you might need to buy that doesn't go off. Get in touch with all your friends and explain what you're going to be doing for the next 12 months. Go out for coffee whenever you feel like it. Stay in bed all day if you want. Do spontaneous things for the hell of it.

Because you'll find doing any or all of these things very difficult once you've started on your PGCE.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Sleep. Going to the dentist/optician/whatever. Buying the clothes you'll need for the year. Getting all the basic jobs you need doing that you can only get done in office hours. Organise your finances. Watch all the box sets you've ever wanted to watch. Stock up with anything you might need to buy that doesn't go off. Get in touch with all your friends and explain what you're going to be doing for the next 12 months. Go out for coffee whenever you feel like it. Stay in bed all day if you want. Do spontaneous things for the hell of it.

Because you'll find doing any or all of these things very difficult once you've started on your PGCE.

YES YES YES.

Buy stationery. Buy toothpaste, deodorant and shampoo. Running out of any of these things during your PGCE can seem like the end of the world because THERE ISN'T TIME TO GO TO TESCO!!!

Seriously, just relax and enjoy your summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending