The Student Room Group

Are UK University league tables misleading?

I have noticed that there is no university other than Cambridge in the top 10 of UK league tables that offers at least 2 of the following subjects:-

Medicine
Dentistry
Veterinary Medicine

Does this mean that those universities offering two or more of these subjects are too cash strapped to make the top 10? Also, does this fact make the likes of Lancaster a joke? To my mind it is a 2nd rank unversity (i.e. a top 25-30 at best), and has no business to call itself a UK top 10 when it ranks badly in World rankings.

Durham and St Andrews are also much talked about on TSR, but is it just a case that they spend the money saved from funding expensive courses onto other lesser courses to make themselves look more prestigious? They are minnows when compared to the World's great universities, and I don't care how old they are or how selective they are, that is just superficial prestige. The first 2 years at St Andrews are taught by Postgraduates, and they cleverly enter them as part of the student/staff ratio data that is submitted to league tables.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just for the record, UK league tables are rubbish. World rankings are the future.
Why did you make this thread? This is not an educational debate. You are just writing your opinion as a fact.
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
Why did you make this thread? This is not an educational debate. You are just writing your opinion as a fact.

There are facts stated in the opening post. You have confused yourself!
Original post by Novelist
There are facts stated in the opening post. You have confused yourself!

Not really, Juichiro is completely correct. Your main argument doesn't make a lot of sense - you're just listing a bunch of things you think are right - and then you give a completely unsubstantiated "UK league tables are rubbish. World rankings are the future".
I don't think people realize how misleading they can be... ESPECIALLY for international students. I had a conversation recently with an acquaintance of mine, who apparently chose Surrey over the likes of Manchester, Glasgow etc. just because it is a "top 10" university according to the domestic tables.
Reply 6
Original post by Broscientist
I don't think people realize how misleading they can be... ESPECIALLY for international students. I had a conversation recently with an acquaintance of mine, who apparently chose Surrey over the likes of Manchester, Glasgow etc. just because it is a "top 10" university according to the domestic tables.

Exactly . . .
Just for the record, UK league tables are rubbish. World rankings are the future.

Urmm what? World rankings have even worse methodology, you could reasonably accurately predict them with 1) have you heard of this university? 2) have you heard of the city the university is in?
Reply 8
Original post by Plagioclase
Not really, Juichiro is completely correct. Your main argument doesn't make a lot of sense - you're just listing a bunch of things you think are right - and then you give a completely unsubstantiated "UK league tables are rubbish. World rankings are the future".

Did you read the first post properly? I said no university in the top 10 other than Cambridge offers at least 2 of the big 3 subjects?

As for the second post, why have you brought that into the equation when when it was the first post that was being questioned?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Helloworld_95
Urmm what? World rankings have even worse methodology, you could reasonably accurately predict them with 1) have you heard of this university? 2) have you heard of the city the university is in?

This, basically, is *******s.
Did you read the first post properly? I said no university in the top 10 other than Cambridge offers the big 3 subjects?
As for the second post, why have you brought that into the equation when when it was the first post that was being questioned?

I have absolutely no idea why what you're saying in your first post means that UK league tables are misleading. All I'm seeing are a bunch of pretty snobbish statements that seem to completely ignore the bigger picture. Why on earth is it relevant if not all universities have a Medical school, a Dentistry school and a Veterinary school? It's not as if they could all have them if they wanted to, there simply isn't enough demand?

Original post by Helloworld_95

Yep, exactly. There's a huge amount of snobbery on TSR - it's amazing how angry some people on this website get when The Guardian ranks universities like Surrey anywhere near their beloved Oxford and Cambridge - yet a lot of these people seem to completely forget that all of the metrics used in international league tables are generally irrelevant for undergraduate students. For most students, metrics like student satisfaction, value-added and employability are going to be vastly more important than how old somewhere is, how prestigious various academics think a university is, or what proportion of the teaching staff are internationals. For students who actually live in the real world, rather than ranting about how much they love Cambridge on TSR, UK league tables are generally going to be a lot more useful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
For many of the top Russell Group universities, it is a choice between funding expensive courses like Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, or just going after the UK rankings as a matter of purpose.
Reply 12
The top 5 unis in UK are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL.
Reply 13
I have absolutely no idea why what you're saying in your first post means that UK league tables are misleading. All I'm seeing are a bunch of pretty snobbish statements that seem to completely ignore the bigger picture. Why on earth is it relevant if not all universities have a Medical school, a Dentistry school and a Veterinary school? It's not as if they could all have them if they wanted to, there simply isn't enough demand?

Yep, exactly. There's a huge amount of snobbery on TSR - it's amazing how angry some people on this website get when The Guardian ranks universities like Surrey anywhere near their beloved Oxford and Cambridge - yet a lot of these people seem to completely forget that all of the metrics used in international league tables are generally irrelevant for undergraduate students. For most students, metrics like student satisfaction, value-added and employability are going to be vastly more important than how old somewhere is, how prestigious various academics think a university is, or what proportion of the teaching staff are internationals. For students who actually live in the real world, rather than ranting about how much they love Cambridge on TSR, UK league tables are generally going to be a lot more useful.

Go back and read the first post again properly. There are more facts stated in there than you have realised.

As for the talk of Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, if a university offers two or more of these subjects, given that it costs £300k to educuate each student for the full 5 years, of course these substantial costs will drain resources from universities like Bristol and Manchester, leading them to drop in the UK league tables. Whereas the lesser universities can spend this money on their lesser courses to beef them up in the league tables.

It follows that the UK league tables are misleading, they are rewarding universities that offer the courses most cheapest to run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Go back and read the first post again properly. There are more facts stated in there than you have realised.
As for the talk of Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, if a university offers two or more of these subjects, given that it costs £300k to educuate each student for the full 5 years, of course these substantial costs will drain resources from universities like Bristol and Manchester, leading them to drop in the UK league tables. Whereas the lesser universities can spend this money on their lesser courses to beef them up in the league tables.

So what? Why on earth are you calling non-medicine courses "lesser courses"? First of all, you don't have any evidence to support the claim that universities are diverting money away from other universities to fund medicine but even if that is the case, I don't understand why you think this means UK league tables are misleading? UK league tables rank universities by a certain set of criteria, such as average entry tariff, employability, student satisfaction, etc. The league tables aren't lying about those statistics and those are the only metrics taken into consideration. So once again, how does your argument mean that the league tables are misleading?
Reply 15
Original post by Buses
The top 5 unis in UK are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL.

I am so glad you didn't say St Andrews or Durham " . . . because they are ranked high in UK league tables".
Reply 16
So what? Why on earth are you calling non-medicine courses "lesser courses"? First of all, you don't have any evidence to support the claim that universities are diverting money away from other universities to fund medicine but even if that is the case, I don't understand why you think this means UK league tables are misleading? UK league tables rank universities by a certain set of criteria, such as average entry tariff, employability, student satisfaction, etc. The league tables aren't lying about those statistics and those are the only metrics taken into consideration. So once again, how does your argument mean that the league tables are misleading?

I think you will find that many universities (Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, KCL etc) in the Russell Group that offer two or more of these subjects have fallen in the UK rankings in recent years, as government cuts to university funding have taken a hit. Those offering these incredibly expensive courses have felt the hit hardest.
I think you will find that many universities (Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, KCL etc) in the Russell Group that offer two or more of these subjects have fallen in the UK rankings in recent years, as government cuts to university funding have taken a hit. Those offering these incredibly expensive courses have felt the hit hardest.

1. That may well be true but surely this is the fault of the government for not investing properly in HE rather than the fault of the universities (or the fault of other universities for not offering those subjects)?
2. I still don't understand how this makes the league tables misleading? If those universities have fallen down the league tables due to a lack of funding then surely that means the league tables are accurate?
Reply 18

- Average tariff points - this favours smaller selective universities, and hurts those like Edinburgh and Bristol, who actively recruit students from poorer backgrounds on 1-2 grades less than their richer peers.

- Employability - this is raw data that unversities generate from mass phone canvassing their alumni graduates. So who is to say that these graduates are lying, or just working as a toilet cleaner to make ends meet?

- Student satisfaction - this is far too subjective to be in league tables. The scandal involving Kingston university comes to mind.

- REF - Many smaller universities go for a high GPA by only submitting their small pool of top researchers. The larger RG universities tend to submit many more staff, and go for reserach power. The league tables only include data for the GPA, thus punishing the larder universities looking for a bigger paycheck from the government that a stronger research power provides. A good GPA score doesn't bring extra cash, it just adds trophy value in UK league tables.
(edited 8 years ago)
- Average tariff points - this favours smaller universities, and hurts those like Edinburgh and Bristol, who actively recruit students from poorer backgrounds on 1-2 grades less than their richer peers.
- Employability - this is raw data that unversities generate from mass phone canvassing their alumni graduates. So who is to say that these graduates are lying, or just working as a toilet cleaner to make ends meet?
- Student satisfaction - this is far too subjective to be in league tables. The scandal involing Kisngton university comes to mind.
- REF - Many smaller universities go for a high GPA by only submitting their small pool of top researchers. The larger RG universities tend to submit many more staff, and go for reserach power. The league tables only include data for the GPA, thus punishing the larder universities looking for a bigger paycheck from the government that a stronger research power provides. A good GPA core doesn't bring extra cash, it just adds trophy vale in UK league tables.

How exactly do you suggest we make league tables then? If your argument is that we should place less emphasis on them then I'd completely agree - this country is league table obsessed and there are barely any other countries in the world that are so fussed about ranking universities. But assuming we do want to rank them and bearing in mind that most of the metrics used in international league tables are entirely irrelevant to undergraduates, what metrics should we use if you think all of the metrics used at the moment are rubbish?

Not that I agree with your analysis. You claim that entry tariff harms large universities yet none of the universities at the top by entry standards are small. Both Bristol and Edinburgh, universities you claim are harmed by using entry tariff, actually score higher when entry tariff is used as the only measure than when all measures are used so they actually benefit from entry tariff!

With regard to employability, sure, the way it's measured isn't absolutely fault-proof but there's no particularly good reason to think that people would be lying en-mass given that all of the data is anonymous and there's also no reason to think that this would selectively benefit certain universities over others.

Regarding student satisfaction, of course it's subjective but it doesn't change the fact that it's a very important metric for a lot of students. There will always be some degree of error with that but you can't disregard such an important measurement just because it's subjective.

REF - Yes, it's faulted. Yet this is one of the aspects that is stressed more in international league tables than domestic league tables and it's also something that's almost entirely disregarded in The Guardian's league tables, something TSR is very fond of trashing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending