The Student Room Group

Law Work Experience - CV Help

Hi,

I'm applying for work experience at a solicitor's firm and they've asked for a CV but haven't specified what to put on it. I know to put exam results, personal details etc but is there anything else I should mention? Thanks
Reply 1

try the law forum for help
Reply 3
Original post by spurs9393

Well, what stage are you at? Are you pre university?

You should include education, extra curriculars, relevant other work experience, etc.

How did they come to ask for a CV? Is this a formal process?
Reply 5
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well, what stage are you at? Are you pre university?

You should include education, extra curriculars, relevant other work experience, etc.

How did they come to ask for a CV? Is this a formal process?

I've just finished my GCSEs; this work experience is for next year Year 12s/13s. What sort of extra curriculars ahould I mention? DofE, rugby?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just finished my GCSEs; this work experience is for next year Year 12s/13s. What sort of extra curriculars ahould I mention? DofE, rugby?

Posted from TSR Mobile

D of E and rugby are both exactly the kind of thing you want.

Anything else you can think of along the lines of team and individual sports stuff, instruments, languages, etc, should go on there if you have it, but it's fine if you don't. They will not expect very extensive content given your stage of education.
Reply 7
Original post by TimmonaPortella
D of E and rugby are both exactly the kind of thing you want.

Anything else you can think of along the lines of team and individual sports stuff, instruments, languages, etc, should go on there if you have it, but it's fine if you don't. They will not expect very extensive content given your stage of education.

Would player of the season help for rugby? Also won a school mock election?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would player of the season help for rugby? Also won a school mock election?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I'd use both.
I put a covering letter with my CVs explaining how useful legal work experience would be in terms of uni application, getting a taste for the career, it shows you're really interested and appreciate the worth of your experience!
Reply 10
Original post by laurajessava
I put a covering letter with my CVs explaining how useful legal work experience would be in terms of uni application, getting a taste for the career, it shows you're really interested and appreciate the worth of your experience!

That's a very good idea actually, what sort of things did you mention in your cv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well my gcse/a level results, contact details (double check!!), like head girl/prefect roles, what qualities I had and then at the bottom I included 'reference from teacher provided at request' (again,check your tutor is ok with this!!)
Reply 12
Original post by laurajessava
Well my gcse/a level results, contact details (double check!!), like head girl/prefect roles, what qualities I had and then at the bottom I included 'reference from teacher provided at request' (again,check your tutor is ok with this!!)

Would wider reading be relaxant? This is a criminal law firm I'm applying to so could I mention criminal law books I've read and what particular interests I have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending