The Student Room Group

Cambridge/

Hi,I'm thinking of applying to the University of Cambridge for Natural Sciences, but I'm unsure whether my grades will be enough to be called for an interview.At GCSE I got 3 A*s 9 As and a B.At AS I'm expecting 2 As and 2 Bs, but I'm resitting a module in one of the B subjects next year, as I missed a term of the course and had to catch up. I'm sure I can get 2 A*s in the sciences next year and an A once I resit the other subject. I also taught myself a GCSE and got an A, will this be an advantage or not? Do you think I will be considered for an interview, or am I wasting a space on my UCAS application?

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs are fine

AS, depends on your UMS and what subjects are they all in?

If you average over 85% I'd give it a go

Not a waste of a spot, you'll still have 4 others

Feel free to ask any questions
Reply 2
Ok, thanks, here's fingers crossed for 85!! They're in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German, from the information on the website I thought this would be ok. I missed all of Core 1 Maths, so had to catch up.
Reply 3
Original post by maestrocam
Ok, thanks, here's fingers crossed for 85!! They're in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German, from the information on the website I thought this would be ok. I missed all of Core 1 Maths, so had to catch up.

The B's are not good at all for Cambridge. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Cambridge look at resists negatively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah so you'll be biological :smile:

If you have strong biology and chemistry I think it'll be fine tbh.

Especially if you have 2 other decent maths modules.

And German won't make a difference, nice to have a language though so good choice!
Reply 5
Original post by Scurve
The B's are not good at all for Cambridge. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Cambridge look at resists negatively.

No they don't. ATs have confirmed many times that 1 or 2 resat modules are ok.
Reply 6

So the 85+ average will need to be across Bio, Chem and Maths. German won't be included.

And you can use Cambridge ECF to explain what happened with C1
Reply 7
Original post by jneill

I've literally seen it on their website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Scurve

Where?

Fitz SLO says:
"Generally speaking, we don't mind if you have resat one or two papers. We will take all elements of your application into account, so having done a couple of resits would not be a big problem if your A2 grades meet our standard offer."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3362299&page=11&p=57152107#post57152107

Edit 1: Also Peterhouse AT
"Our Admissions Tutors recognise that anyone can have an 'off' day and that some amount of resitting is understandable. If the resits have improved your marks to your satisfaction this would absolutely not affect your application. Concern only creeps in if: you have re-sat the same module multiple times; or you are resitting several modules from the same subject; or you are resitting a large proportion of modules; or the resits don't result in much improvement. If you think that your current results don't truly reflect your ability then resitting is reasonable and not unusual."
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3120743&page=9&p=53852063#post53852063

Edit 2: Christ's - even wishes candidate good luck with their re-sit...
"Providing you do well in the re-take and hit the level you think you should, then it won't adversely affec your application very much at all. people have bad days, we realise that. Good luck in the re-sit."
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2609765&page=15&p=46965670#post46965670
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Can confirm, I got an offer for medicine with 2 resits
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Where?

Fitz SLO says:
"Generally speaking, we don't mind if you have resat one or two papers. We will take all elements of your application into account, so having done a couple of resits would not be a big problem if your A2 grades meet our standard offer."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3362299&page=11&p=57152107#post57152107

Others have said the same.

You realise that the statement they made right after that means that someone can get a spot over you because they never did a resit? Do you understand the ramifications of the statement "We will take all elements of your application into account" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Scurve
You realise that the statement they made right after that means that someone can get a spot over you because they never did a resit? Do you understand the ramifications of the statement "We will take all elements of your application into account" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

See my edited post adding Peterhouse & Christ's and then the subsequent post from Gaiaphage, a Medic with 2 resits.

Where's your link to a contrary statement on Cambridge's website?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Scurve

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you misread/misinterpreted what's on this page from their website?

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

They basically say they don't mind a few retakes as long as you don't do it repeatedly.

Cambridge is comfortable with applicants retaking a few AS/A2 units.

AS/A Level retakes

We recognise that even the best students can have 'bad days' when an exam doesn’t quite go to plan. Therefore, we’re not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake a couple of AS/A2 Level units for which the results obtained are clearly 'blips'.At Cambridge, students are regularly assessed by examination and there's no opportunity to resit any exams (with the exception of professional qualifying examinations in Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). Therefore, we would be concerned about an applicant who seldom seems to have 'good' days and is retaking large numbers of units, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control and explained in their UCAS reference.
Reply 13
Original post by vincrows
Maybe you misread/misinterpreted what's on this page from their website?

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

They basically say they don't mind a few retakes as long as you don't do it repeatedly.

Oh yes, that's it :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scurve
Oh yes, that's it :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good!
So now you know it's OK to resit a few times as long as you don't turn yourself into a serial resitter. :wink:
Reply 15
Good!
So now you know it's OK to resit a few times as long as you don't turn yourself into a serial resitter. :wink:

I wouldn't have to resit anything :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scurve
I wouldn't have to resit anything :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was talking about in more general terms, not you personally. :wink:
Reply 17
I was talking about in more general terms, not you personally. :wink:

Sorry :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

DW
Good luck with application, anyway. :smile:
Reply 19
DW
Good luck with application, anyway. :smile:

Thanks Vincrows :smile:. Wish you luck in whatever endeavours your are venturing into or continuing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending