The Student Room Group

Robotics, Autonomous and Interactive Systems at Heriot-Watt uni

Hello everyone, I have just finished my high school in Lithuania and I want to study in UK. I am very interested in Robotics, but I found only one university in UK which offers Robotics as undergraduate course. That uni is Heriot-Watt university in Edinburgh, but I haven't heard very much about it, that's probably because I'm not living in UK lol. I wanted to ask is it worth studying Robotics in this uni? Maybe someone studies in this course and can share their experience? I have good grades and I could go to Edinburgh's University I think, but they don't have robotics and the closest thing there to study would be Mechanical Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering. What would be your advices? I am really confused right now, because I have heard a lot of good things about Edinburgh's University, and I can barely found info and feedbacks about Heriot-Watt uni
A lot universities offers robotics, in UK they call it Mechatronics as opposed to Robotics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for information I will look up for that. Still maybe someone can share their opinion about Heriot-Watt university?
Reply 3
I don't have personal experience but Heriot Watt is a good uni, especially for engineering subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it.
Original post by Manic9
Hello everyone, I have just finished my high school in Lithuania and I want to study in UK. I am very interested in Robotics, but I found only one university in UK which offers Robotics as undergraduate course. That uni is Heriot-Watt university in Edinburgh, but I haven't heard very much about it, that's probably because I'm not living in UK lol. I wanted to ask is it worth studying Robotics in this uni? Maybe someone studies in this course and can share their experience? I have good grades and I could go to Edinburgh's University I think, but they don't have robotics and the closest thing there to study would be Mechanical Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering. What would be your advices? I am really confused right now, because I have heard a lot of good things about Edinburgh's University, and I can barely found info and feedbacks about Heriot-Watt uni

Hi Manic9 :shakehand:

That's great you're interested in studying Robotics. Maybe it's useful for us to give you a bit more info on the course we offer at Heriot-Watt. The newly launched Robotics degree(its full title is “Robotics, Autonomous and Interactive Systems”) is anexciting blend of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineeringand Computer Science. Robotics is truly an interdisciplinary discipline and itsstudy requires in depth study of these three programmes. A key part of Roboticsis integrating the theoretical knowledge into practical applications and thisis catered for at all stages of the degree programme involving group andindividual projects.
The use of robotic systems israpidly increasing in all aspects of modern society (healthcare, transport, oiland gas production, space exploration to name a few) and graduates with arobotics background will be in significant demand after graduation. Whenstudying for your degree you will benefit from the significant number ofacademics who are involved in state-of-the-art robotics research projects andyou will benefit greatly from their experiences.

Re. Heriot-Watt itself. We're based on the outskirts of Edinburgh so you get the benefits of campus life within easy reach of the city. We're highly ranked across the league tables - you can see a few of them here, for example The Guardian ranks us 3rd in the UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any further questions we can answer.
Cheers
Sophie
Heriot-Watt University

Quick Reply

Latest