The Student Room Group

How can I self study further maths

hi, I cant do further maths at my school and I would like to self study further maths. How can I do this? Any textbooks that anybody can recommend?

Many thanks
Andrew
Reply 1
Original post by AndrewA97
hi, I cant do further maths at my school and I would like to self study further maths. How can I do this? Any textbooks that anybody can recommend?

Many thanks
Andrew

The standard recommended books for the board of your choice are usually the best
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
The standard recommended books for the board of your choice are usually the best

where do i find these recommended books?

Many thanks
Andrew

Hi there. I self taught Further Maths with Edexcel.

I found that the textbooks they provided were sufficient (along with the CD). If there was an explanation I didn't understand I would just ask friends and/or my Maths teacher. There was also the option of looking thins up online.

Otherwise there wasn't ever a lack of resources. The textbooks had loads of questions to do, and then there's past papers... If you really wanted to push yourself I'm sure there are harder questions out there somewhere.

There's the luxury of being able to choose which modules you do. I myself chose to do all of the stats modules and then one from mechanics/decision, because they were straightforward and I enjoyed it, so it kind of lends itself to self study.

So yes, just the normal textbooks will probably do the job.
Reply 4
where do i find these recommended books?

which board are you taking?
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM

I found that the textbooks they provided were sufficient (along with the CD). If there was an explanation I didn't understand I would just ask friends and/or my Maths teacher. There was also the option of looking thins up online.

Otherwise there wasn't ever a lack of resources. The textbooks had loads of questions to do, and then there's past papers... If you really wanted to push yourself I'm sure there are harder questions out there somewhere.

There's the luxury of being able to choose which modules you do. I myself chose to do all of the stats modules and then one from mechanics/decision, because they were straightforward and I enjoyed it, so it kind of lends itself to self study.

what were the names of the textbooks?
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM

Did you self study the whole AS & A2? And over what time span?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what were the names of the textbooks?

edexcel as and a level modular mathematics by Keith Pledger. The textbook will be titled similar to the ones you get for Maths, just with a different name (or at least I assume so for non-Edexcel boards).

Original post by iBall
Did you self study the whole AS & A2? And over what time span?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, AS + A2 in Year 13 as I wanted to study Maths at uni.

Many thanks
Andrew

Talk to your A level teacher or Head of Maths about accessing the Further Maths Support Programme
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have FP1 textbook edexcel to download it?I cannot find it anywhere.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending