The Student Room Group

Does smoking really age you? Would you date a smoker?

One of my best friends is 25 and has been smoking since she was about 20, it's just to fit in with one of the other crowds she's in I think.

However she's always coughing and saying she feels ill and though me and other friends tell her to go see a doctor or stop smoking she just brushes it off. She will stop when she's around us and acknowledges it's bad but I guess it's when she's around the "punk crowd" and they influence her a certain way.

Also, she's quite pretty and wears a lot of makeup so she's always looked good, but she keeps complaining at us that she feels she's aging faster. I've seen her a few times without makeup these days and can't tell but maybe she is. But when we tell her it might be the smoking if she is aging faster she won't listen.

She also complains that she can't keep a bf because most guys even in certain crowds don't seem to want a girl who smokes but we can't help her there either. Are there any guys who don't mind girls who smoke?

Is there anything we can do or is this just something she has to decide on her own?

Scroll to see replies

No I wouldn't date a smoker. They smell of smoke.
Nope, I don't like it, I don't know about the aging thing though, it can't help i guess.

If she'd going to insist on smoking then she'll either have to get lucky and find a guy who doesn't mind it or date a smoker
I smoke occasionally and I've dated guys who do the same. I'd rather they weren't full time smokers though. Mostly because I plan on stopping completely pretty soon and it's not healthy, so I wouldn't really want to see someone I care about doing it all the time
Reply 4
Original post by bumblebee342
I smoke occasionally and I've dated guys who do the same. I'd rather they weren't full time smokers though. Mostly because I plan on stopping completely pretty soon and it's not healthy, so I wouldn't really want to see someone I care about doing it all the time

Thanks would she have more luck with guys who smoked though?

Also if you dont mind me asking it doesn't age you all that much does it? :dontknow:
I'm pretty sure it is ageing. I'd consider dating a social-smoker.
No
I couldnt date a smoker. They will need CB12 all day long lol
It really does and yes, I would and have done.
Reply 8
Sure, if I felt a connection with them, I wouldn't let their smoking habits be a dealbreaker.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
No
I couldnt date a smoker. They will need CB12 all day long lol

Well she hangs out in certain circles (punks, hipsters, rock type people) so I dunno if guys there are more accepting. She does get dates but whether its the smoking or something else she's never had a bf for more than a month or so. I feel bad for her :frown:
I smoked for about 15 years - I'm nearly 32 now - and just yesterday I was asked if I was under 18! So I don't know if the aging thing is true. It did surprise me though.

I quit a year and a half ago, and I wouldn't date a smoker no matter how attractive.
Original post by Anonymous
Well she hangs out in certain circles (punks, hipsters, rock type people) so I dunno if guys there are more accepting. She does get dates but whether its the smoking or something else she's never had a bf for more than a month or so. I feel bad for her :frown:

Aww the struggle is real :frown:
I have friends that are dating who smoke and they have been together for 4 months and they are only 17 so i doubt it has got to do with the smoking
Reply 13
The smell of smokers just make me want to vommit. I can't even talk to my friends while they smoke, don't know how I'll be with a smoker.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Aww the struggle is real :frown:
I have friends that are dating who smoke and they have been together for 4 months and they are only 17 so i doubt it has got to do with the smoking

Yeah it might be her personality too idk. She's artsy and I think shes interesting and funny but she can be quite sarcastic too and whiny about things like vegetarian rights.
Yeah it might be her personality too idk. She's artsy and I think shes interesting and funny but she can be quite sarcastic too and whiny about things like vegetarian rights.

Oh ok
If she is sarcastic to her boyf then the guy might not like it :frown:
It does but genetics play a much bigger part. But meth will make you look old no matter what.
i wouldn't be keen on dating a smoker because the smell of smoke sickens me, i think it's antisocial to go out for a fag straight after they've finished dinner at either a restaurant or at home. i wouldn't rule it out completely but i dont like smoking at all and i think my partner would end up getting angry that i would keep nagging them to at least try to quit. it wastes a ridiculous amount of money
Thanks would she have more luck with guys who smoked though?

Also if you dont mind me asking it doesn't age you all that much does it? :dontknow:

I have no idea, I guess it depends on the guy. Some non smokers will be fine with those who smoke, others won't.

I'm not sure about the ageing thing tbh, people say that it does
I'd date a smoker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending