The Student Room Group

Ban private schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gagafacea1
Yeah so?? That advantage is paid for, and therefore deserved. Not some kids fault that their parents have more money than mine.

Yes its not some kids fault that their parents don't have enough money to pay for private school so they shouldn't be disadvantaged as a result.Children shouldn't be disadvantaged in life based on what parents they have, as what parents you have is 100% down to luck and thus unfair on the children.

All children should have equal opportunities in education, paying for a better education for your children is unfair as most parents can't afford it and that puts your children at an unfair advantage and means that they get better grades/into better universities than more naturally talented/more hardworking children from working class backgrounds.Reasons like this are essentially why most things shouldn't be privatised and should be paid through taxes and available to everyone based on merit.
I disagree with your opinion

There's always going to be those wealthier than you who will have enough disposable income to fund private school education for their children

Why not? If you can go for it and if not, don't be a hater :colonhash:
Original post by Dalek1099
Yes its not some kids fault that their parents don't have enough money to pay for private school so they shouldn't be disadvantaged as a result.Children shouldn't be disadvantaged in life based on what parents they have, as what parents you have is 100% down to luck and thus unfair on the children.
All children should have equal opportunities in education, paying for a better education for your children is unfair as most parents can't afford it and that puts your children at an unfair advantage and means that they get better grades/into better universities than more naturally talented/more hardworking children from working class backgrounds.Reasons like this are essentially why most things shouldn't be privatised and should be paid through taxes and available to everyone based on merit.

hmmm I didn't think of it that way. However if that's done, then that would reduce the number of students with high academics, ie the quality and number of students going to universities will be less. Which should be a bad thing, right?
Like it or not state schools will always be state schools, ie not many with high standards. Also grammar schools exist!
Original post by Pineapplefridge
I disagree with your opinion

There's always going to be those wealthier than you who will have enough disposable income to fund private school education for their children

Why not? If you can go for it and if not, don't be a hater :colonhash:

Unless the Government banned private schools and put in place huge fines for people trying to privately educate their children or long prison sentences?

It is unfair on children, whose parents can't afford thats why people shouldn't be sending their children to private school.All children should have equal opportunities regardless of what parents they have, as they haven't done anything to deserve rich parents so they shouldn't get any benefit from having rich parents.
Original post by gagafacea1
hmmm I didn't think of it that way. However if that's done, then that would reduce the number of students with high academics, ie the quality and number of students going to universities will be less. Which should be a bad thing, right?
Like it or not state schools will always be state schools, ie not many with high standards. Also grammar schools exist!

This wouldn't be the case as the quality of private schools would be spread across the state school system and with the extra cost of education funded by the taxpayer, the number of students going to university shouldn't significantly change but there would be a bigger proportion of students going from poorer backgrounds and less from richer backgrounds, there would be still be more students going from richer backgrounds though mainly due to evolution and the fact that a lot of intelligence is inherited but there is still large variation.

Reducing the number of students going to university would actually be a good thing, as far too many degrees are awarded these days leading to large amounts of graduate unemployment.University education can be a wasted cost to the taxpayer for a lot of graduates, who due to the large number of students entering university won't be able to earn enough to come close to paying back the loans and higher education isn't useful for unemployment or working class jobs usually, which a lot of these graduates are forced into due to excessive numbers going to university.A lot of the bad universities are admitting students with appalling grades, who clearly aren't intelligent enough for university and these students shouldn't be admitted.

The large number of students going largely affects the quality of education received, it must be very hard to learn anything stuffed at the back of a lecture hall with 200 people in one lecture(I am hoping to be able to get front seats for my lectures presuming I get into university next year) it is very clear that universities are very overcrowded, a large part of this is due to the small number of universities though considering that close to 50% of students are going to university.The number of universities should be half of the number of secondary schools to cope with current demand.
I disagree I don't think that education should be hierarchical with the rich at the top and the working class at the bottom, it should be equal all over with the best teachers spread out so every pupil can be taught the most difficult parts of a subject by the best teachers. This would lead to a fairer society where no one has an advantage over another in any way. That way the working classes might find themselves not only capable of fulfilling the roles that the middle classes think they own and have an exclusive right to but also find themselves doing all the different jobs they dreamed of doing part time.

What people seem to forget is that the public school system is full of oxbridge teachers who graduated with a first class degree and use their friends in oxbridge universities to earmark students for oxbridge long before the pupil has finished his a levels.

The bright disadvantaged pupil from a run down state school is a very small minority compared to the percentage of public school pupils who go on to oxbridge and the percentage of grammar school suckers who get in to oxbridge is presumably high along with well facilitated state schools in nice areas is probably the same. Point is that disadvantaged children do get preferential treatment because they have a lot of potential to succeed at oxbridge. The same as the others have had preferential treatment in the class of education they have received.
Reply 26
Anyone stupid enough to hit post without realising they've made a caps lock cock up in the title is usually not worth listening to - this is no exception.
Reply 27
Lol keep dreaming, the government isnt going to ban private school anytime soon. Good luck. Bye Felicia!
Original post by IAmYourdog
Thats elitism for ya!
But I bet you any student who is equally as talented and motivated and went to crappy schools all his life will be regarded more brighter than that private school student.

*brighter OR more bright :smile:
Original post by Paladian
I disagree I don't think that education should be hierarchical with the rich at the top and the working class at the bottom, it should be equal all over with the best teachers spread out so every pupil can be taught the most difficult parts of a subject by the best teachers. This would lead to a fairer society where no one has an advantage over another in any way. That way the working classes might find themselves not only capable of fulfilling the roles that the middle classes think they own and have an exclusive right to but also find themselves doing all the different jobs they dreamed of doing part time.
What people seem to forget is that the public school system is full of oxbridge teachers who graduated with a first class degree and use their friends in oxbridge universities to earmark students for oxbridge long before the pupil has finished his a levels.
The bright disadvantaged pupil from a run down state school is a very small minority compared to the percentage of public school pupils who go on to oxbridge and the percentage of grammar school suckers who get in to oxbridge is presumably high along with well facilitated state schools in nice areas is probably the same. Point is that disadvantaged children do get preferential treatment because they have a lot of potential to succeed at oxbridge. The same as the others have had preferential treatment in the class of education they have received.

The standard of teachers is the same at a state school as at private school. It is the quality of opportunity you are paying for
Dont tell me that its wrong to give my son the best start in life that I can deliver. Get state schools as good as private then I wouldnt consider it.
Original post by jshep000
Yes ban them, they get a clear and statistically proven advantage over public schools when applying to oxbridge. Very unfair.

Public schools are private schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylank96
There's an ability distribution between private schools and the box-standard comp because most private schools require entrance exams so, from the very start, are selecting "brighter" children. However, I think this has only a small impact.

The fact of the matter is that children who attend private schools will come from homes where there is more of a focus on education and, as a direct result of everything that comes with this, more children from these schools are going to go onto the best universities. Besides, the gap between the best state schools and the worst is just as big a problem. If you banned private schools then the state schools in good areas would just replace them in all but name, and fees, and you would have the same problems.

It isn't a case that private schools are bad and state schools good - private schools are excellent, on the whole, and the reality is that they're much superior in many ways. Comprehensive schools should be studying their example to give pupils the same advantages that those at private school enjoy. We need to increase opportunity for those in the state schools and bring them up to line with the private and top state schools, not attack those which are working as they should be.

I went to a 'bog standard comp', 50% A*-C with a mixed but not terrible intake, and did fine. I doubt my grades would be different had I attended private school.

GCSEs and A Levels are pretty easy, so bright kids anywhere will come out with A*s.

I'd love to have the old boy network my public school colleagues do, but that's different to the actual education.
Original post by Le Nombre
I went to a 'bog standard comp', 50% A*-C with a mixed but not terrible intake, and did fine. I doubt my grades would be different had I attended private school.

GCSEs and A Levels are pretty easy, so bright kids anywhere will come out with A*s.

I'd love to have the old boy network my public school colleagues do, but that's different to the actual education.

Why are you addressing this to me? I didn't once refute anything you just said. I'm not denying the fact of some bright children succeeding at worse off schools.
Original post by Dylank96
Equality of education is fundamental in a fair society and it's to our great disadvantage otherwise with the best talent not being given the same opportunity to succeed. In other words, it shouldn't be the case that those who can't afford to pay should be at a disadvantage as your post suggests.

No it isn't. The quality of your results in each schools is what determines your success - and it is a fact that pupils from public schools with the same grades have an advantage over pupils from private schools. Sure, there is a difference in quality of education between the two, but so what? Are you going to ban private healthcare for "equality" as well? Everyone must have the same chance to die?

The only thing that leads to those calls is envy, and envy should not be taken as a serious political standpoint, since it doesn't particularly have a nice history within the last 100 years.
work harder
Original post by Dalek1099
Unless the Government banned private schools and put in place huge fines for people trying to privately educate their children or long prison sentences?

dumbest idea 2015

people will either emigrate or send their children to the US

no one who has the money will stand by and watch their children be less clever simply because teachers in public schools have lower wages so lower performance and other people in public schools tend to be poor and distrupt classes or annoy everyone

gz
Original post by MattyJMP
I see you around a lot, and you are a class A prick...

I'm offended for being called a prick by someone who believes that Cancer Research is fraud and shouldn't be happening

**** off
What about grammar schools? Top-level education with no fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Firstly, don't forget that private schools offer bursaries and scholarships to help those in the community that are academically gifted, but can't afford the fees. They don't all want the elite rich kids, they want kids who are able and willing to learn.

Secondly, you can't hate someone just because they went to private school. Hating someone just because they're rich is no different to hating someone just because they're poor and I'm sure you wouldn't consider that just...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending