The Student Room Group

Withdrawing an unconditional place to go through clearing?

A few months ago I accepted an unconditional offer at a university and have had my place there confirmed. However, if I was to achieve better than expected results on results day, would it be possible for me to call the university and withdraw from the course, whilst still being eligible for 2015 entry at a different university?
{edited as it provided advice for a situation different to yours}
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by russellsteapot
Have a read of this; seems to provide plenty of information about the situation you're describing.

Adjustment is not available because OP had an unconditional offer. There are no conditions to exceed in that situation, so it doesn't apply. OP would have to enter Clearing instead by asking to be let go by his firm, and that is not only a much riskier option, it also takes time to bring it about.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Adjustment is not available because OP had an unconditional offer. There are no conditions to exceed in that situation, so it doesn't apply. OP would have to enter Clearing instead by asking to be let go by his firm, and that is not only a much riskier option, it also takes time to bring it about.

I am sorry about hijacking this thread, but I wanted to ask Carnationlilyrose a question.

Are universities obliged to release you if asked? Can there be any complications?
Original post by benq
I am sorry about hijacking this thread, but I wanted to ask Carnationlilyrose a question.

Are universities obliged to release you if asked? Can there be any complications?

Nobody will drag you kicking and screaming to university. If you don't want to go, just contact them and explain the situation. If you don't turn up to enrol, you aren't a student on their books, and no money is paid by Student Finance until you are enrolled, so there's no debt incurred. If you have paid a deposit for accommodation then you will probably lose it, and if you have signed a contract you will be liable for the full rent until they find someone to take it on, so be careful about that.
Reply 5
Nobody will drag you kicking and screaming to university. If you don't want to go, just contact them and explain the situation. If you don't turn up to enrol, you aren't a student on their books, and no money is paid by Student Finance until you are enrolled, so there's no debt incurred. If you have paid a deposit for accommodation then you will probably lose it, and if you have signed a contract you will be liable for the full rent until they find someone to take it on, so be careful about that.

My situation is that I might miss my firm offer, but I would rather go into clearing (for a specific course at a specific university) than take my insurance offer. Does the same applies to this scenario as well? I also heard that releasing might take some time, so do you have any advice on how to organize this switch without finding myself in a situation when I am released from my insurance (which offer I have met) but when the university in clearing I wanted to go to already filled all the places?
Original post by benq
My situation is that I might miss my firm offer, but I would rather go into clearing (for the specific course at a specific university) than take my insurance offer. Does the same applies to this scenario as well? I also heard that releasing might take some time, so do you have any advice on how to organize this switch without finding myself in a situation when I am released from my insurance (which offer I have met) but when the university in clearing I wanted to go to already filled all the places?

If you really don't want to go to your insurance at all, and are sure of that now, then call them up and explain that and ask them to let you go now, ahead of results day. Then if you do miss your firm, you will be entered straight into clearing.
Reply 7
If you really don't want to go to your insurance at all, and are sure of that now, then call them up and explain that and ask them to let you go now, ahead of results day. Then if you do miss your firm, you will be entered straight into clearing.

The thing is, that I would go to my insurance but there is one place that I would much rather go to. However, if I fail to go there - then my insurance is fine. I am only worried that if I release my insurance, then something might happen and on the results day there will be no places at the university in question and for the course of my choice.
Original post by benq
The thing is, that I would go to my insurance but there is one place that I would much rather go to. However, if I fail to go there - then my insurance is fine. I am only worried that if I release my insurance, then something might happen and on the results day there will be no places at the university in question and for the course of my choice.

I'm afraid there is no risk-free option here.

Quick Reply

Latest