The Student Room Group

Should we cut the top rate of tax?

Boris Johnson has said that we should be cutting the top rate of tax to 40p (from 45p). I definitely agree, as long as the cut brings in more revenue. It might seem a little unfair to cut taxes for the wealthy but any extra money they bring in could prevent further cuts do disabled people etc. Do you think its more important to bring in revenue or appear "fair"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I lean towards no on the basis that tax revenues from the 40% threshold never fell once it was raised, but we've got an extra 9bn in revenue from the 45% threshold. This indicates that 45% is closer to optimum than 40%. I also feel that 45% is a fair enough rate.

I would however lower the 45% threshold to 100k and use the revenues to merge NI, cut the new IT by 2% for all (so rates become 30, 40, 45) and then raise the threshold.
I always take the view that taxes should be as low as they possibly can, so a 40p rate would be welcomed as long as it comes as part of a decrease in taxation across the board. Politically, it would be tough though, as the welfare cuts have been (regrettably, from Downing Street's perspective) embedded into the 'cutting the deficit' narrative. This means that any cut in the top rate of tax would be seen to be paid for by welfare cuts to the poor, the old and the disabled.

Had the Lib Dems not been in the last government, the benefits cuts would have formed part of a different, moral narrative. Instead of ministers coming on TV and Radio to tell us that welfare cuts were necessary, they would have told us they are desirable as an incentive to get more people back to work. This would have made cutting the top rate of tax easier politically, because the move would seem disconnected to the welfare cuts: "No, this isn't being paid for by cuts to welfare, the welfare budget is being cut because it is the right thing to do and would take place regardless of any tax changes."

It must be said though that if a drastic change of narrative is to take place, Wednesday's budget is perhaps the only time to do it. Labour without a leader, crisis in Europe, upcoming summer recess and the final stage of the 'honeymoon' period after the election. I want the 45p rate cut - I want all taxes cut. My gut tells me Osbourne will announce it on Wednesday.
Yes, but only after the deficit has been significantly closed down.
I think taxes should be lowered and the welfare state should be smaller - so yes
I also think taxation rates between bands should be flatter
Original post by Rakas21
I lean towards no on the basis that tax revenues from the 40% threshold never fell once it was raised, but we've got an extra 9bn in revenue from the 45% threshold. This indicates that 45% is closer to optimum than 40%. I also feel that 45% is a fair enough rate.

I would however lower the 45% threshold to 100k and use the revenues to merge NI, cut the new IT by 2% for all (so rates become 30, 40, 45) and then raise the threshold.

Quite interested and pleased to hear a Tory say this.
Reply 6
Original post by Bornblue
Quite interested and pleased to hear a Tory say this.

Naturally i want all taxes decreased (and i'd abolish NI then give everybody a 2% tax cut) however income tax should be a fairly low priority considering that VAT for example is a tax on growth, that we have numerous small taxes clogging up the system (betting and gambling duty, bankers levy ect..), business rates increasing costs for business.

Here's my post from another thread..

"Tax

Business rates will be abolished.

National Insurance will be abolished.

VAT will be abolished.

A review of all taxes with revenues of less than £10bn will take place with a view towards abolition where possible - an example being betting and gambling duty.

All PLC's will pay a 20% rate of corporation tax. A review of corporation tax for other business types will take place.

The income tax threshold will be raised to £30k with a flat rate of 40% on earnings between £30-100k. The 45% threshold will be lowered to £100k and the personal allowance abolished.

A 'mansion tax' will be brought in for all residential properties valued in excess of £1.2m where the 40% tax rate is applicable to at least one individual in the household.

The stamp duty threshold will be raised to £600k and a review as to the optimum tax rates will occur with intervals of 600-1.2 and 1.2m+.

A land value tax will apply for any residential property owner with more than 1 acre of land. A flat tax rate will set at the optimum revenue raising level.

Fuel duty will be frozen. "
Original post by SotonianOne
Yes, but only after the deficit has been significantly closed down.

Why? Raising it lost the country money. Putting it down to 45p increased the proportion of tax paid my the rich.

Cutting the top rate will help us raise the money to pay off the deficit faster.
Reply 8
Original post by Rinsed
Why? Raising it lost the country money. Putting it down to 45p increased the proportion of tax paid my the rich.

Cutting the top rate will help us raise the money to pay off the deficit faster.

There's no evidence that cutting it to 40% will actually gain revenue (granted it's hard to tell since we had a recession before it was raised). What we do know is that the 45% raises about £9bn.
Original post by Rakas21
There's no evidence that cutting it to 40% will actually gain revenue (granted it's hard to tell since we had a recession before it was raised). What we do know is that the 45% raises about £9bn.

IIRC, and feel free to correct me, that £9bn was the result of cutting the rate from 50p to 45p. It is not the case that we're raising £9bn more with 45p than we would with 40p. That's why Johnson, Redwood et al are extending the logic by calling for a further cut.
Original post by Rinsed
IIRC, and feel free to correct me, that £9bn was the result of cutting the rate from 50p to 45p. It is not the case that we're raising £9bn more with 45p than we would with 40p. That's why Johnson, Redwood et al are extending the logic by calling for a further cut.

Even if you accept the logic that reducing the top rate of tax raises revenue (which I absolutely don't) , then there would still be an optimum level, or you'd just end up lowering it to 0%.
Even if you accept the logic that reducing the top rate of tax raises revenue (which I absolutely don't) , then there would still be an optimum level, or you'd just end up lowering it to 0%.

Unless you think 100% tax rates are likely to raise much money, or indeed any, one must accept that there is a point at which tax rises lower the amount of tax collected.

But you're correct there must be an optimum level. Still, we've not had a cut in the top rate of tax for a long time which didn't raise revenue, so I don't think it's unreasonable to try it again.
Original post by Rinsed
Unless you think 100% tax rates are likely to raise much money, or indeed any, one must accept that there is a point at which tax rises lower the amount of tax collected.

But you're correct there must be an optimum level. Still, we've not had a cut in the top rate of tax for a long time which didn't raise revenue, so I don't think it's unreasonable to try it again.

Only if you allow for those at the top to exploit the system and tax avoid.
So no, I don't agree that raising taxes will reduce revenue if we crack down on tax evasion.
I don't think we should tax 100% though, of course not.

Also to say that 45% raises more then 50% is a classic example of mixing cause with correlation to suit your political ideology.
Original post by TomatoLounge
Boris Johnson has said that we should be cutting the top rate of tax to 40p (from 45p). I definitely agree, as long as the cut brings in more revenue. It might seem a little unfair to cut taxes for the wealthy but any extra money they bring in could prevent further cuts do disabled people etc. Do you think its more important to bring in revenue or appear "fair"?

It's an absolute fallacy that lowering taxes will bring in more revenue.
It's simply trying to justify and ideological tax cut with false economics.
Only if you allow for those at the top to exploit the system and tax avoid.
So no, I don't agree that raising taxes will reduce revenue if we crack down on tax evasion.
I don't think we should tax 100% though, of course not.

Also to say that 45% raises more then 50% is a classic example of mixing cause with correlation to suit your political ideology.

Unfortunately I don't think you understand the system. For a start there are perfectly legal ways to avoid high taxes, like leaving the country, which we can't stop. Even if that weren't true, high taxes discourage rich foreigners from leaving other countries to come here, how are you going to legislate against that? :rolleyes:

I don't see how it's mixing cause and correlation at all, it's pretty clear tax receipts went down when the rate was raised to 50p and up when it came down again, just as they went up when the rate was cut to 40p under Major.

Unfortunately the left is, once again, ignoring realities it doesn't like. It's pretty clear that raising money isn't actually their priority, rather than ****ing the rich for no reason other than it feels satisfying. If the left were practical, as they used to be under Blair (for all his many, many faults), they would support these sort of simple measures, which raise money for their precious public sector.
Original post by Rinsed
Unfortunately I don't think you understand the system. For a start there are perfectly legal ways to avoid high taxes, like leaving the country, which we can't stop. Even if that weren't true, high taxes discourage rich foreigners from leaving other countries to come here, how are you going to legislate against that? :rolleyes:

I don't see how it's mixing cause and correlation at all, it's pretty clear tax receipts went down when the rate was raised to 50p and up when it came down again, just as they went up when the rate was cut to 40p under Major.

Unfortunately the left is, once again, ignoring realities it doesn't like. It's pretty clear that raising money isn't actually their priority, rather than ****ing the rich for no reason other than it feels satisfying. If the left were practical, as they used to be under Blair (for all his many, many faults), they would support these sort of simple measures, which raise money for their precious public sector.

It's fine to argue for lower taxation because you believe that people should pay less tax but don't pull the wool over people's eyes and pretend there's any economic justification for it.
Capitalism in a nutshell that, take an ideological position and pretend it has an economic justification.
not a shred of evidence that lowering it to 40 will raise revenues.
There are many factors why reciepts went up, just choosing the one you want to promote ideological positions is bizarre. Cause and correlation. The tax rate was only at 50 for a few weeks and there are many views that had it continued for longer, reciepts would have increased.

If rich people want to leave the country because they feel they're taxed too Much then they can go happily. I'll drive them to the airport myself.
But I don't believe even for a second that they will leave should we not reduce the tax rate to 40. It's pure scaremongering.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's an absolute fallacy that lowering taxes will bring in more revenue.
It's simply trying to justify and ideological tax cut with false economics.

Lowering taxes can bring in more revenue. If tax was cut from 99% to 40% people would work more and generate more revenue. Lowering the tax from 45% to 40% might have a similar effect. You would have to experiment to find out...
Original post by TomatoLounge
Lowering taxes can bring in more revenue. If tax was cut from 99% to 40% people would work more and generate more revenue. Lowering the tax from 45% to 40% might have a similar effect. You would have to experiment to find out...

Why are you pretending that it's anything to do with working hard?

If the higher tax rate was 40%, somehow, people will work harder and earn more than 150k? What kind of logic is this?

Let's not play games.

Lower tax rate attracts rich people to the UK. They funnel wages through this country instead of their home country in order to avoid high taxes elsewhere.

If you taxed income over 250k by 80%, people that earn 250k will funnel their wages through somewhere else or defer their taxes by setting up a trust or a shell company. It's nothing to do with incentive.
Boris is indulging in supply side ****onomics.
All glory to the hypnotoad...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending