The Student Room Group

Top Russell Group Unis announce 2,500 courses with spare places

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jed-Singh
So can someone please summarise what it means if my uni and course is on that list?

It means that your uni has vacancies in that course. There's no way to know why there are vacancies or to draw any conclusions about what that means for your application.
What happens if you apply through clearing for a course that's different to what you originally apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goodwinning
What happens if you apply through clearing for a course that's different to what you originally apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will judge your case on its merits and may require an additional ps from you, so have one ready.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
They will judge your case on its merits and may require an additional ps from you, so have one ready.

Is this the same if you try it through adjustment too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goodwinning
Is this the same if you try it through adjustment too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would think so, but adjustment is so much newer a system and has dealt with so many fewer applicants than clearing that there's not quite so much of a standard. All universities involved probably do it in a way that suits them.
Isn't SOAS a good uni? There are so many clearing places!
Original post by xxvine

Many, if not all 'good' universities are in clearing. Another way of looking at it might be 'Aren't there any good applicants this year? There are so many clearing places!' Clearing is a complex system, more so even than usual this year since the cap on numbers has been removed. You can't read anything into the situation, especially not about your own personal situation, because there are way too many unknowns. For a start, results aren't out yet, so they can't know who has made their place or not yet. (apart from IB offer holders.)
Original post by xxvine

The number of courses which a particular uni has in clearing does not necessarily correlate with the number of places.

SOAS has 10 Development Studies degrees listed in Clearing - ususally joint degrees with a language. However, it doesn't mean that there are 10 times as many places compared to another university with a single course listed.
The IB students are getting all the good places.....*annoyed*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
The IB students are getting all the good places.....*annoyed*

Posted from TSR Mobile

The people that I talked to on here have all got 40+
Original post by Skill Twix
The people that I talked to on here have all got 40+

I have no idea what that means...
I just know that it seems rather unfair that they have a months head start in clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just know that it seems rather unfair that they have a months head start in clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've got 40+ out of a possible 45
Original post by Skill Twix
They've got 40+ out of a possible 45

Lucky them

Still unfair that IB students get their results before A-Level students
It should all be at the same time so all the best clearing spaces don't go early on to IB students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't work that way, IB students have to wait for the A-Level results day, the system is completely fair.
Reply 114
Original post by rkhan57
What's so bad about the uni?

It's not a bad university by any means, it depends how you look at it.

The university has a strong research output (third in the UK?) and is basically a powerhouse. This benefits the academics working there.

As a student, you will be in class sizes of 100 - 200+ students unless you're doing a niche course like audiology or town planning. In a way, you can get 'lost in the crowd' at Manchester. I've studied at Manchester (Chemistry) and at another university (Physics) and the difference in environment is huge. At Manchester the lectureres will likely never know your name. In lab you get assisted by PhD students, wheras at my other university I got assisted by the lectureres themselves.

If you want a busy environment then it may be for you, but if you want something different then there are lots of lovely campus based universities to choose.from.
Reply 115
Original post by tomicb
It's not a bad university by any means, it depends how you look at it.

The university has a strong research output (third in the UK?) and is basically a powerhouse. This benefits the academics working there.

As a student, you will be in class sizes of 100 - 200+ students unless you're doing a niche course like audiology or town planning. In a way, you can get 'lost in the crowd' at Manchester. I've studied at Manchester (Chemistry) and at another university (Physics) and the difference in environment is huge. At Manchester the lectureres will likely never know your name. In lab you get assisted by PhD students, wheras at my other university I got assisted by the lectureres themselves.

If you want a busy environment then it may be for you, but if you want something different then there are lots of lovely campus based universities to choose.from.

Do you have any information about studying law at Manchester?
Can you apply even if you don't have your A level results yet? How can that work if I dont get my results till August? Sorry, but Im not squite sure how clearing works :frown:
Original post by EmperorPowerMan
Can you apply even if you don't have your A level results yet? How can that work if I dont get my results till August? Sorry, but Im not squite sure how clearing works :frown:

It doesn't open until A level results day, so these lists seem to serve no purpose other to get people frantically speculating on the basis of no information whatsoever. If on results day, you have been rejected by both firm and insurance, you will find a clearing number on Track. That's when you start phoning up places and offering yourself to them as a student. You can do nothing before that. Put it out of your mind for the next 35 days.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It doesn't open until A level results day, so these lists seem to serve no purpose other to get people frantically speculating on the basis of no information whatsoever. If on results day, you have been rejected by both firm and insurance, you will find a clearing number on Track. That's when you start phoning up places and offering yourself to them as a student. You can do nothing before that. Put it out of your mind for the next 35 days.

Ah ok, thank you very much! I hate this process so much, so if I am in clearing later, when I call them up, I'll have to provide my results anyway right?
Original post by EmperorPowerMan
Ah ok, thank you very much! I hate this process so much, so if I am in clearing later, when I call them up, I'll have to provide my results anyway right?

Yes, but they will be able to see them anyway, because the clearing number is what gives other universities access to your Ucas form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending