The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rafiki6
I am sick and tired of chemistry at a2 level at the moment. On thursday we were given 30mins to learn a table of metal aqua ions and their colour changes when things such as naoh were added. While everyone else had learnt it somehow in that mere 2 mins i was still struggling. I am tired of being slow:mad:

OopS the Same with me ,, I feel like an IDIOT in the class although in the past i was gd in chemistry :frown:
Reply 61
mysteryman
AS chemistry was very boring. But A2 got a bit more insteresting....lol

Agreed. Probably more quantitative analysis and reasoning involved.
heninacoop
Are you with Edexcel? If you are, all that SN2 stuff is Unit 5. If not, then the two species part occurs because the nucleophile can attack the starting molecule from the top or the bottom, so the functional group can be in different places. It seems really confusing at first, but if you break it down and condense it and then stick your notes all over your bedroom it will go in!

Thanks for that :smile: Yeah, I am with Edexcel; thank goodness we don't really have to know that stuff yet! The notes thing is a good idea.... I think I just have to persevere with it.
another recommendation that i could make about learning all those equations that kinda go back and forth and interlink:

start off with one equation - then connect one of the constiuents with another equation that has it -- then connect another consituent from that equation to another equation that has the same consitutent in it

in the end you should end up with this huge flow digram of interconnecting equations - at least that way it gets you mind thinking and learning how they interlink -coz that is an important skill when it comes to answering questions in later units
Reply 64
Excalibur
Thanks for that :smile: Yeah, I am with Edexcel; thank goodness we don't really have to know that stuff yet! The notes thing is a good idea.... I think I just have to persevere with it.

The thing about organics in general is that it all seems like mush and then suddenly bits of it will click, and then the whole thing will fit together! For unit 2 you don't need to know a lot - check out your sylabus and it'll tell you. Organics is broken up in a really disjointed manner for Edexcel, so you keep building on it throughout the course. The problem with this is that in order to understand the more basic things, the explanations tend to be quite complicated, which is why you're being taught stuff that seems a little beyond you at the moment.
Reply 65
I used to love chemistry but now after Advanced Higher I am really fed up of it :frown:
Reply 66
Hey, I know shoudn't be posting in school area but I thought that Id input something...

I'm doing degree Chemistry and believe when I was doing A2 I got so annoyed that everyone knew more than I do but then id do experiments and realise why i like chemistry... trust me dont worry so much... when i finished exams i thought that id failed badly but im here now and doing uni chemistry and the experiments are so much bigger...

Chemistry at times is the most boring subject in the world but then you get the area that you are good at and enjoy and you realise that you know more than you think. I know with experience, I hate Inorganic chem but i like and a good at Energy and dynamics and Organic chemistry, Ive just spent the last hour writing out mehanisms for a drug synthesis and realised that i knew what i was talking bout so i enjoyed it (yh i know, geek, lol). So the best thing with chemistry is to reasure yourself with the stuff you know and revise the stuff you dont...

Dont know if you wanted to hear any of that but hey i thought that Id lend some encouragement... :smile:
i quite like chem tbh, but do Salters - anyone else?! im doing a2 atm, and my teach is a great guy, really like him... only prob is, we "talk about" things in lessons, then never realise later on when we are meant to know things that we were meant to take in what we were "talking about", and then we would know the answer!

only got my synoptic (kinda) paper, and individual investigation to go now... :p:

chem is hard, yeah, but much more interesting and challenging than bio imho, i think you really have to apply yourself, which i enjoy...

Latest

Trending

Trending