Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Make Up Tips!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not a tip as such... more of a question

i love the l'oreal mineral foundation (really works well with my skin)..... has any one else found another make that does mineral foundations like this, prhapse a little cheaper???
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Loads of places do them now, though perhaps not cheaper than the L'Oreal one (which I personally think is a crap mineral foundation - there are so many out there that are far better).

Fyrinnae do them, I've just received a couple of primers from them and so far so good. It takes a while to come because they're based in the USA but the products are high quality and the price is right. Avon have also just introduced a mineral foundation for just £5 that comes in 6 different shades.

Others in my bookmarks:
    Meow Cosmetics
    Bare Faced Beauty
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    @Angelil: I normally hate it as well, but thought if I could contribute something useful it wouldn't be so bad! This is a great idea for a thread I must say
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use Touche Eclat but it doesn't work too well, I showed the lady mine at the makeup stand and she said it was really watery?! compared to the ones she gets instore. Mine was from Fenwicks at £23!

I always moisturise after toning and leave it to sink in, then put more moisturiser on and put my foundation on before it's sunk in because it's much more natural than putting tons on.

Who can reccomend a good, light foundation??? Im a bit skint and so I've tried Max Factor, Rimmel Renew and lift one (i thought it'd make my skin look fresher), and No7 at boots.

My friend likes bobbi brown but it's in a tiny pot and £27!!!!!!
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielle21711)
    I use Touche Eclat but it doesn't work too well, I showed the lady mine at the makeup stand and she said it was really watery?! compared to the ones she gets instore. Mine was from Fenwicks at £23!

I always moisturise after toning and leave it to sink in, then put more moisturiser on and put my foundation on before it's sunk in because it's much more natural than putting tons on.

Who can reccomend a good, light foundation??? Im a bit skint and so I've tried Max Factor, Rimmel Renew and lift one (i thought it'd make my skin look fresher), and No7 at boots.

My friend likes bobbi brown but it's in a tiny pot and £27!!!!!!

*Touche eclat is more of a highlighter than a concealer

*I got a fab foundation from the body shop
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    By the way, are Barry M glitter dusts (??) really as amazing as everyone always makes out?
    Edit: Oooh and what about the glitter liquid eyeliners?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Barry M dazzle dust is as amazing as they say, lol
    ANd I have a gliter liquid eyeliner, from somewhere, that is awesomeee
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    By the way, are Barry M glitter dusts (??) really as amazing as everyone always makes out?
    Edit: Oooh and what about the glitter liquid eyeliners?
    Urban decay do fantastic coloured/shimmery eyeshadow and liners :yep:

I love this thread! Thumbs up for whoever revived it!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just bought 3 more Barry M dazzle dusts- I swear I'm addicted haha.
    I think they're brilliant, especially for a night out because they come in so many great colours, they stay on a lot longer than most eyeshadows I've used and although they're relatively expensive, a little really does go a long way!
    Agreed, loved some of the earlier tips.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    *Touche eclat is more of a highlighter than a concealer

yar i know, thats what i use it for, under eyes and eyebrows. woop woop.

i just discovered this in the old threads yesterday, gerrrinnnnnn
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateEyes)
    YSL perfect touch foundation is amazing. It's a brush for those who haven't seen it and it give the most amazing coverage I'm in love with it at the moment.
    I want to get that foundation but Ive read a couple of reviews on the internet which are saying its rubbish now im undecided what to do!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Foundation-wise, I like No7, but if you don't, Prescriptives is excellent (£22 for a largeish bottle) and Lily Lolo is also worth buying (it's less than £22...think it is about half that).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy x)
    not a tip as such... more of a question

i love the l'oreal mineral foundation (really works well with my skin)..... has any one else found another make that does mineral foundations like this, prhapse a little cheaper???
    one of the biggest mineral brands in america is called bare essentials and its only just come to the uk and everything is mineral based - the only place i know they sell at are in selfridges.

another american mineral brand is called everyday minerals which is a cheaper version of the bare essentials but more or less same quality, i dont think u can get this in the uk yet but u can order things online.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats_my_poison)
    any recommendations for foundation brushes?
    mac 187 - its amazing, i use it for foundation, powders, blushers, bronzers
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would second the 187, I wouldn't be without mine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    okies don't know whether this has been said but i found this tip on the internet.
    If you love using liquid eyeliner but find you have run out....don't worry....use a slanted eyeliner brush (or a normal thin eyeshadow brush) and dip it into your mascara and apply like liquid eyeliner. It does work....i read it and thought hmmm ok....ran out on holiday and gave it a go and it does work....ok so it isnt as good as liquid or gel eyeliner but for a quick fix it is ok.

also if you want a lighter coverage of foundation or if you have dry skin like me....i mix my foundation with my moistouriser....it works a treat and always do it. it also helps make you skin look more dewy which is good.

Sorry if these have been posted already
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to...
    1)make a nose look smaller with make up?
    2)make eyes look bigger?
    3)make pores look smaller?
    4)find a foundation or something that will give me even coverage but deal with my sensitive+dry skin (and the pore on nose)

any help is greatly wanted

gawww the problems with being a girl eh!

xxxx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Apparently, the subtle use of highlighter or lighter foundation down the middle of your nose, accompanied by a shade of bronzer or darker foundation on the sides of the nose is meant to work. This technique is less than subtle on some celebs - eg. Rihanna.

2) Various ways - including not using eyeliner all around your eyes (it makes it look smaller). Another one is to use mascara on your bottom lash too.

3) Not really make-up, but Benefit have something which smooths skin and minimises pores. And it actually works reasonably ok. It's called Dr. Feelgood. I however, am not overly keen on the fact it's in a balm form and feels velvety on the skin - I'd prefer something that felt more natural, but it also feels soft and matte too.

I'm not expert on these things, so I'm sure someone else has better advice!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 25, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.