The Student Room Group

I don't want to work, help needed!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RFowler
You mention travelling. What sort of skills do you have? You might find a suitable area of work that involves a bit of travelling.

I love writing, ancient history, finding out about things that were once here and now aren't and why that is so. That's pretty much all that excites (well, I love music to an obsessive degree but have no musical talent of my own).
Why don't you just get on the ferry and go ........
Reply 22
Original post by Paladian
Why don't you just get on the ferry and go ........

Because I'd like to know if I can get back again.
Original post by shrimpymo
Because I'd like to know if I can get back again.

you would you just have to go with the flow
Reply 24
you would you just have to go with the flow

Dude, I wish I could.
Dude, I wish I could.

I'm sure you can
Reply 26
I'm sure you can

I could, but I feel like I'd need to prepare for it, at least taking a few days to work it out and get everything I needed, you know? I love the way you think as thats how i think most of the time, but I don't know.
I could, but I feel like I'd need to prepare for it, at least taking a few days to work it out and get everything I needed, you know? I love the way you think as thats how i think most of the time, but I don't know.

believe me its ****ing brilliant you'd love it, go now while the weathers nice and hot.
Reply 28
believe me its ****ing brilliant you'd love it, go now while the weathers nice and hot.

How did you do it?
How did you do it?

I worked in clubs and restaurants and did some fruit picking. I was great I went to France Spain Portugal Belgium and Holland.
Move to china and become a monk.
Reply 31
Tourism, airline, diplomacy come to mind
Well unfortunately buddy, you have to work for what you get in this world, not unless you want to have the living standards of someone from the third world. If you hate the idea of working for someone else, that's great. You can aspire to start your own business, do something you truly want to do. Give work a shot for a few years to make your money, save some aside etc. Try to go through a pro training scheme(e.g navy, civil service, apprenticeship) that can get you places, make contacts etc. You just need the will, the business savvy, some capital and a great idea
Welcome to the real world I work 20 hours a week for FREE! It's **** I hate it but I'm doibt It to get a good job which I hope in turn will allow me to live my life in the way I want
Reply 34
Original post by marco14196
Well unfortunately buddy, you have to work for what you get in this world, not unless you want to have the living standards of someone from the third world. If you hate the idea of working for someone else, that's great. You can aspire to start your own business, do something you truly want to do. Give work a shot for a few years to make your money, save some aside etc. Try to go through a pro training scheme(e.g navy, civil service, apprenticeship) that can get you places, make contacts etc. You just need the will, the business savvy, some capital and a great idea

Navy is a great one i think, they even subsidise your stay while docked in a foreign country iirc
Reply 35

Thanks, some of the only real advice I've seen here.
Original post by whorace
Navy is a great one i think, they even subsidise your stay while docked in a foreign country iirc

I have a place at University of Manchester this fall but I also have a place being lined up to get into the merchant navy(my Dad is well connected and my family has a history of it). If I do well at the interview, I think I'm going to forget about going to university. Free training, free accommodation, get paid up to 15K a year and the training is worth nearly 50K. They got back to me within 2 hours of me sending off my application so I am quite excited. I don't want to end up doing a degree and ending up on the graduate scrap heap with tens of thousands of other young people so I may take the cadetship instead
Thanks, some of the only real advice I've seen here.

That's ok, just keep a cool head and think things out:biggrin:
Reply 38
That's ok, just keep a cool head and think things out:biggrin:

It's taking a while but I'm getting there :smile:
If you want to travel and work at the same time, join the navy . If that doesnt appeal then man up and get a job like everyone else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending