The Student Room Group

Why aren't some girls 'funny' like guys are?

Why is it that girls aren't really that funny, whilst guys are, especially when it comes to immature humour.

I'll use Youtube as an example,

All of the big funny pranking channels (JStuStudios, OwnagePranks, Vitalyzdhd etc.) are run by guys, and if a girl did the same thing I just don't think it would be funny at all. Same with funny gaming channels (Pewdiepie, Markiplier etc.) I haven't seen any funny Youtube channels by girls and if there were females doing this stuff it just wouldn't be funny

Vloggers as well. The female ones (Zoella etc.) IMO aren't funny, whilst the male vloggers (Joe Weller, Caspar Lee etc.) are quite funny

Even when girls try to be funny, like female stand up comedians, it just doesn't really work and just seems difficult to watch (however male stand ups are also pretty bad)

So why is it that girls aren't funny like guys are?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because they don't need to be. They have other purposes apart from comedy. They can't cut it in the world of comedy, because comedy has always been a quintessential man thing and will forever remain so. In fact, I would go so far as to say that being funny is not a feminine trait. It doesn't suit girls.
I know plenty of funny girls. It's just the few female stand up comedians out there are mostly awful. And it's unfair to base it on that, when a lot of male stand up comedians are equally as bad, yet men are still considered funny.
Original post by Liquid Harvest
Because they don't need to be. They have other purposes apart from comedy. They can't cut it in the world of comedy, because comedy has always been a quintessential man thing and will forever remain so. In fact, I would go so far as to say that being funny is not a feminine trait. It doesn't suit girls.

So should women just stay in the kitchen looking pretty and being feminine? Lol go back to the dark ages.
Reply 4
Original post by Carpe Vinum
I know plenty of funny girls. It's just the few female stand up comedians out there are mostly awful. And it's unfair to base it on that, when a lot of male stand up comedians are equally as bad, yet men are still considered funny.

Well look at the vlogger youtube channels then. I don't really watch them, but if you look at the girl ones (Zoella etc.), they just aren't funny at all, whilst the males are much more funny (Joe Weller, ThatcherJoe, Caspar Lee).

It's just weird how girls never seem to be that funny compared to guys
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, I just realised this. I hardly see 'comedian' girls. I think it's partially to do with the fact that most guys are more confident, and also the fact that girls find humour attractive in a guy, so of course guys are going to try and be funny.

However, I particularly find immature humour extremely unattractive.
Reply 6
Pffft. Speak for yourself- I'm bloody funny.
Original post by zigglr
Well look at the vlogger youtube channels then. I don't really watch them, but if you look at the girl ones (Zoella etc.), they just aren't funny at all, whilst the males are much more funny (Joe Weller, ThatcherJoe, Caspar Lee).

It's just weird how girls never seem to be that funny compared to guys

Well Zoella isn't funny, no, but her youtube channel is for fashion and makeup tutorials no? Bit unfair to compare her to channels who just make prank videos etc.
You might say that, but Ellen DeGeneres, Miranda Hart, and those two female presenters from the Great British Bake Off.
Reply 9
Lol @ Pewdiepie being funny. That was funny.
Reply 10
Original post by UnicornSparkle13
You might say that, but Ellen DeGeneres, Miranda Hart, and those two female presenters from the Great British Bake Off.

Isn't it weird how they both kind of look like men though
Original post by Liquid Harvest
They should be submissive, passive housewives who take care of the home and raise children. Ideally, women should be seen as beautiful, kind-hearted, gentle, sexy, devoted to their families, loyal, etc...being a comedian just doesn't fit in with their purpose in any way. It's very much out of place, because a woman who stands in front of large crowds trying to entertain people and make them laugh is a very unfeminine woman in my opinion, that's really unladlylike. It's a male thing, it should never form part of a woman's lifestyle. Also, women just aren't capable of being funny, there is also that. The level of wit and charisma required to charm people and entertain them can never be achieved by a woman, and only very few men can even achieve that. It's a tall order. That's why women should be seen as cute and pretty and as sex objects, because they'll never be regarded as funny or as comedians.

LOL OK. Let me guess, you haven't had many girlfriends or female friends. Anyone who has had a normal relationship with women would not have those chauvinist, outdated views.

Original post by The Last
Its funny how thats the first thing you thought of as a response to the fact women aren't funny. You're either an insecure women or a really whipped beta male.

Well that's the stereotype of how women "should" be, isn't it. And look at the response from the guy I quoted, that's how he thinks women should be. "Beta male"? Really? Let me guess, you think you're an "alpha".
I think it's cause if guys are like that it's more socially acceptable. If a girl does it she comes across as being mental.
Well that's the stereotype of how women "should" be, isn't it. And look at the response from the guy I quoted, that's how he thinks women should be. "Beta male"? Really? Let me guess, you think you're an "alpha".

He never said that, he said women don't need to develop their humour which is true, they get attention for their looks. You're the only one talking about women being in the kitchen.
Original post by zigglr
Isn't it weird how they both kind of look like men though

Miranda and the blondie from GBBO don't, though.
Just face it, women can be funny. Women are funny. If you find men funnier, than that's fine. Just don't make a sweeping and so blatantly false statement.
Them looking like men doesn't make them funnier, so..
Original post by The Last
Its funny how thats the first thing you thought of as a response to the fact women aren't funny. You're either an insecure women or a really whipped beta male.

He displayed his breasts on tsr some time ago, probably some whipped beta parading as a girl. Or a really unfunny girl who's upset with this thread. Either way, he/she is insecure, no doubt.
I think I'm funny, I have been told so in the past.:colondollar: There used to be this girl in my class at my old school, literally the most funniest person I have ever come across in my lifetime. I would have to bite the insides of my mouth to stop from bursting out laughing, she was just hilarious.
Reply 17
Well Zoella isn't funny, no, but her youtube channel is for fashion and makeup tutorials no? Bit unfair to compare her to channels who just make prank videos etc.

Well in my opinion the only funny vlog channels are male, I've never seen a funny female vlogger, or funny female youtube channel
Reply 18
There are three females I find consistently funny:

My girlfriend, Jenna Marbles & Jessica Nigri.

I'm not sure why this is, even my girlfriend points out that, generally, women aren't as funny as men.. maybe it's just perspective. A lot of comedy is observational, maybe women joking about the way they experience the world is foreign to us as we experience the world in a different way?
Reply 19
Original post by UnicornSparkle13
Miranda and the blondie from GBBO don't, though.
Just face it, women can be funny. Women are funny. If you find men funnier, than that's fine. Just don't make a sweeping and so blatantly false statement.
Them looking like men doesn't make them funnier, so..

Well considering how every funny Youtube channel I've seen is run by a guy, and i've never seen a funny female youtube channel. It is extremely rare to find a funny female, which is why those women are tv presenters

The vast majority of women just aren't funny, I don't know why but even if they try to be it just doesn't work, it's just like that for some reason

Out of the whole of Youtube there is only one channel which some people consider funny: Jenna Marbles, and tbh I don't see why people find her funny
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest