The Student Room Group

My family is in a difficult financial situation.

snipsnip
(edited 8 years ago)
This may not count for much as I haven't the foggiest on your dad's situ, but you shouldn't be worrying yourself with these issues. You have enough on your plate with disability, depression, and your studies to think about.

As hard as it sounds, finances are for your parents to deal with, and it's not selfish of you to have these thoughts about your dad's employability at all. Did you ever consider that he may have been talking himself up in terms of what he was capable of, just so the family didn't lose morale whilst he was job-hunting? I only suggest this as someone with £30k+ capabilities tend to have less competition for jobs than those in low wage jobs.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
This may not count for much as I haven't the foggiest on your dad's situ, but you shouldn't be worrying yourself with these issues. You have enough on your plate with disability, depression, and your studies to think about.

As hard as it sounds, finances are for your parents to deal with, and it's not selfish of you to have these thoughts about your dad's employability at all. Did you ever consider that he may have been talking himself up in terms of what he was capable of, just so the family didn't lose morale whilst he was job-hunting? I only suggest this as someone with £30k+ capabilities tend to have less competition for jobs than those in low wage jobs.

Yeah, I understand that finances are for my parents to deal with, but it's just bothering me a lot because it effects me directly. He probably was talking himself up, as a few days later he said he doesn't have any official qualifications for that level.

I'm just worried as the money we've just lost is now being made up for with my DLA that they've taken, I was going to use that for transport to college should my mother not be able to take me by car (we live roughly 20 miles from it with only a train) and also use it for lunches, supplies etc.

As i'll be back in education they can probably get child support/tax (whichever one it was) for me again and i'll get my DLA back but I know we'll be facing more cuts soon so I don't know for how long that will be.

I'm just venting now, i'm just unhappy about how they'd just take my money instead and how almost every time there's a talk/argument about money it always comes back to me like "Well if you didn't quit college in the first place" and such. As if it's my job to bring in money by being a qualification for my family to get support.
----
Sorry, I often manage to get myself caught up in affairs that aren't mine to deal with, i'm sure it will all be fine(ish), I just wish my dad was encouraged to get help rather than quit his job all-together.
(edited 8 years ago)
Aren you claiming ESA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Become a prozzie.
The DLA is your money not your parents and is in your name and tied to your NS number. Whilst you were younger it was acceptable for your parents to use the money towards your keep but now that money should be paid into your bank account and then you can give your parents a share to help with expenses of the house. If your parents are in benefits some of those benefits have a disability element as they have a child receiving DLA. If you are concerned about your family finances try talking to the citizens advice bureau who are skilled in this area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the above. Your DLA is your money. You should have the option of having the money paid into your account and using the money as you wish. It's for you to use and not your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending