The Student Room Group

Want to buy my first 50 cc moped

hey guys i am an international student (russia) studying in uk and i want to buy a cheap 50 cc moped cause i like driving motorcycle and stuff but as i was doing my reasearch on this i found out that it is very complicated here. i dont know what MOT is, how much the insurance will be, i am 18 years old and i have a full car and bike driving licence that i got in russia, it is written that it can be used in uk as well but as dont have much contacts in uk i am not sure where to start. please help

CT: Specific discussion on cheap moped insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
You can use your Russian licence for 12 months

You cannot convert your licence to a UK one, you need to do a test.

An MOT is an annual road worthiness test that must be carried out on all vehicles over three years old, (unless the vehicle is a classic ) the cost is between £30-50.

An MOT is not a certificate saying that a car is roadworthy, or reliable. It is a test on a given day, of certain things so don't assume that it says anything else. Don't buy a car without one.

You need insurance, mot and road fund licence to drive . It is computer registered so police cars with cameras receive an alarm if you pass them and have a flag on the system
Unless money is an issue, I would get a proper bike ( depends on your licence) as 50cc is little better than a bicycle and not legal ( of safe) on major roads.

Small bikes also get thrashed by learners with no maintanence
Reply 3
If you have a Russian motorbike licence I'd suggest you get a cheap 250cc
Nobody wants them here - if they have a bike licence folk tend to go for a 500 or bigger. If they don't they go for a 125cc or a 50cc.

Consequently there's a lot of cheap bikes in the middle that people either can't or don't want to ride so there are lots of bargains to be had.
Reply 4
Original post by domonict
You can use your Russian licence for 12 months

You cannot convert your licence to a UK one, you need to do a test.

An MOT is an annual road worthiness test that must be carried out on all vehicles over three years old, (unless the vehicle is a classic ) the cost is between £30-50.

An MOT is not a certificate saying that a car is roadworthy, or reliable. It is a test on a given day, of certain things so don't assume that it says anything else. Don't buy a car without one.

You need insurance, mot and road fund licence to drive . It is computer registered so police cars with cameras receive an alarm if you pass them and have a flag on the system

and where should i go to get mot and road fund licence? and could you tell me how much my insurance will cost?
Reply 5
Original post by JC.
If you have a Russian motorbike licence I'd suggest you get a cheap 250cc
Nobody wants them here - if they have a bike licence folk tend to go for a 500 or bigger. If they don't they go for a 125cc or a 50cc.

Consequently there's a lot of cheap bikes in the middle that people either can't or don't want to ride so there are lots of bargains to be had.

would you recommend any good places to look
Reply 6
ebay / gumtree / autotrader
when you buy a second hand bike, it should already have an MOT .
this lasts one year.

Only selected and trained garages/ people can provide an MOT.
It is a basic few tests that mean the bike is safe to be on the road , like brakes, lights, horn, loose parts etc.
Looking on the net or phone book, or word of mouth in a bike shop will find a place.

Funnily enough I had my bike MOT today ( £30)

Insurance - depends on age/experience/location and bike.

I f I bought from a shop, I would ask for a fresh MOT and get them to tax it on my behalf ( see the note below. I don't quite know how that works under the new rules)

a young person in a high crime area on a powerful bike will cost a lot.

Road fund licence is about £70 per year ( less for smaller bikes) and is now entirely electronic.
When you buy a bike, YOU are responsible for paying a tax (6/12 months) before you can ride it.

When you sell the bike, you get most of the unused tax back - less 1 month.

Some post offices do this, or you can do it online.
You need the MOT and Insurance first. these are checked before issuing the tax
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest