The Student Room Group

Chemistry Question

Hey guys I'm a little confused on a chemistry question. 'Show the mechanism of Pentan-1-one to pentan-1-ol. Is Pentan-1-one just an aldehyde? If not then how would I draw it?
Many thanks :smile:
Original post by ad20999
Hey guys I'm a little confused on a chemistry question. 'Show the mechanism of Pentan-1-one to pentan-1-ol. Is Pentan-1-one just an aldehyde? If not then how would I draw it?

Pentan-1-one does not exist ....
Original post by ad20999

'One' isnt the suffix for an aldehyde 'al' is, i think perhaps you have made an error in writing the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad20999

Reduction of aldehydes with NaBH4 is basically the same as a ketone (if thats the mech you're on about :biggrin:)
Original post by ad20999

Oh i see, you must have meant pentan-1-al to pentan-1-ol? It would be reduction with NaBH4 or LiAlH4. The mechanism would show hydride ions (negativity charged hydrogen ions) which would attack the electron deficient C atom (that forms the aldehyd group) this breaks the double bond between the oxygen atom and the carbon atom (as carbon can only form 4 bonds). The oxygen is now bonded to the carbon with a SINGLE bond and now has a lone pair of electrons, which it uses to attack an electron deficient hydrogen ion in the solution. This will form an alcohol. Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Ridwan1473
Oh i see, you must have meant pentan-1-al

As opposed to pentan-2-al?
Original post by Pigster
As opposed to pentan-2-al?

No such thing as pentan-2-al. Aldehyde groups can only exist at the end of the carbon chain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My point was that there is not really such thing as pentan-1-al.

We call it, simply, pentanal.

Quick Reply

Latest