The Student Room Group

What career do you want?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingNoosh
DevOps Engineer was my goal.

Solid goal mate!

Try to get to Silicon Valley if you can, the best opportunities are out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Solid goal mate!

Try to get to Silicon Valley if you can, the best opportunities are out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm already working for a decent start-up, honestly, I'm seeing jobs in San Diego over San Francisco rising now which seems a better place to work due to living costs too. :biggrin:
Pretty happy with my career in IT Security.
psychologist (if that fails social worker) and if that fails (journalist/human resources) if i can get into the field...
only problem is the job market for those jobs :frown:
Primatologist/ornithologist. Though I'm also leaning towards a secondary school teacher as it's suddenly becoming very appealing. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingNoosh
I'm already working for a decent start-up, honestly, I'm seeing jobs in San Diego over San Francisco rising now which seems a better place to work due to living costs too. :biggrin:

Ahh, fair enough! You're well on your way to that juicy exit hahaha.

Really? Why is San Diego becoming so hot? I agree with cost of living though, the bay area is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like to be a lumberjack
Marketing, is that a good one?
Is there any allure to a job in IB aside from money?
I would like to be a solicitor working in family law and medical negligence. I would really love to be able
To help people who are going through hard times such as people whose lives have been damaged through doctors not diagnosing or for people who have suffered domestic abuse etc. Jisy something that when I go home in the evening I feel like ive helped somebody and made a little bit of a difference.
My dream job is to be a vet but I can't do maths so had no chance but even now that's my dream dream job.
Original post by Jasaron
Is there any allure to a job in IB aside from money?

Exit opportunities and learning how to deal make/do business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exit opportunities and learning how to deal make/do business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anybody actually go into IB because they enjoy it? Is there anything to enjoy about it?
Also, both of the perks you've listed relate purely to wealth. Is a career in IB the same as a decision to trade happiness for money?
(edited 8 years ago)
Dont know
Maybe work in an accounting firm, a pharmaceutical company or a pharmacy
Original post by Jasaron
Does anybody actually go into IB because they enjoy it? Is there anything to enjoy about it?
Also, both of the perks you've listed relate purely to wealth. Is a career in IB the same as a decision to trade happiness for money?

These questions are so loaded.

People go into IB because they like finance (or the markets) and want to make good money from it. It leads on to careers where you make more money, yes. It can also lead on to a career where you are doing good - working for a charity, doing microfinance etc.

You can actually enjoy the deal making process and learning about how businesses function - it's not like someone is force feeding you it with some candy mix sprinkled on top.

In any case, happiness is subjective and also grossly volatile. You aren't going to be in a state of constant happiness if you opt for a standard 9-5 gig or even a job where you contribute to other's well beings - there will be ups and downs - IB is the same.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sports coordinator

Posted from TSR Mobile
These questions are so loaded.

People go into IB because they like finance (or the markets) and want to make good money from it. It leads on to careers where you make more money, yes. It can also lead on to a career where you are doing good - working for a charity, doing microfinance etc.

You can actually enjoy the deal making process and learning about how businesses function - it's not like someone is force feeding you it with some candy mix sprinkled on top.

In any case, happiness is aubject I've and also grossly volatile. You aren't going to be a state of constant happiness if you opt for a standard 9-5 gig or even a job where you contribute to other's well beings - there will be ups and downs - IB is the same.

+1 infinitely. I've had a large interest in markets but everyone says aspiring bankers are just in it for the cash. :rolleyes:
clean shos for a discounted price
Ahh, fair enough! You're well on your way to that juicy exit hahaha.

Really? Why is San Diego becoming so hot? I agree with cost of living though, the bay area is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, I have no idea myself. I just know that it is. I haven't cared to look much into it as I don't plan on moving to another start-up till my current workplace becomes big.

Interesting. I don't want to come across as rude, it's just that all of the would-be IBs I've met are morons in search of a payday. Out of interest, would you still pursue a career in IB if it paid the same amount as, say, a career in teaching?
Original post by Jasaron
Interesting. I don't want to come across as rude, it's just that all of the would-be IBs I've met are morons in search of a payday. Out of interest, would you still pursue a career in IB if it paid the same amount as, say, a career in teaching?

Yes, although I would still move onto more interesting roles. I plan to do IB for max 3-5 years and then jump to climb the leadership ladder or start my own tech company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending