The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Should I take a gap year and reapply?

Hello everyone,

I am an international student who applied to mechanical engineering in Imperial college this year but was unfortunately rejected without interview.

I was predicted 41 points with 7 7 7 in Physics, Math and Chemistry at HL and 6, 6, 6 in English A, Economics and Norwegian B at SL and B in Physics Extended Essay and B in TOK. The standard IB offer is 40 points with 6 in Maths and Phys at HL.

However, today I received my results and got 43 IB points. I got A in Extended Essay, A in TOK as well as 7 in Economics also. Others were same as predicted.

Do you think I stand a better chance of being accepted into Imperial with 43 points achieved than with 41 predicted. Should I take a gap year and reapply. Is it worth the risk?

My PS was not special. I just showed my interest in the subject but I had not really won any competitiions or participated in any societies etc, neither had I gotten any work experience.

If I was to take a gap year, perhaps I could also improve my PS by gaining some work experience? What do you guys think? Should I reapply?

At the moment I am holding offer from Southampton university for mechanical engineering.

Thanks very much
I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much whether you study at Imperial or Southampton. Afaik Southampton is good too for engineering. If you do end up at Southampton I believe you will enjoy it anyway. It's a great uni in a great location, plus it's cheaper than London!

As A Levels students we might think that getting into a good reputation university is everything. In fact it's not. Which university you go to doesn't matter as much as whether you're studying the right course!

So I think in your case it's not worth reapplying - there's no guarantee you'll get accepted next year, although in theory you'll have a lot of time to improve your PS and everything. And you have to find something worth doing during your gap year.

Do you really think taking a gap year is worth the risk?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by PhenolphthaleinX
I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much whether you study at Imperial or Southampton. Afaik Southampton is good too for engineering. If you do end up at Southampton I believe you will enjoy it anyway. It's a great uni in a great location, plus it's cheaper than London!

As A Levels students we might think that getting into a good reputation university is everything. In fact it's not. Which university you go to doesn't matter as much as whether you're studying the right course!

So I think in your case it's not worth reapplying - there's no guarantee you'll get accepted next year, although in theory you'll have a lot of time to improve your PS and everything. And you have to find something worth doing during your gap year.

Do you really think taking a gap year is worth the risk?

Thanks very much for the help. I see what you mean. It's a difficult choice because my parents really want me to go into a well reputed university.

If I were to reapply do you think I would stand a better chance of being accepted?
Original post by random_boy
Thanks very much for the help. I see what you mean. It's a difficult choice because my parents really want me to go into a well reputed university.

If I were to reapply do you think I would stand a better chance of being accepted?

yeah well it's difficult when your parents are the ones forcing you :/ yeah sure it would, since your grades are confirmed and are well above the requirements. remember though if you take a gap year, you'll be expected to write about it in your personal statement so make it worthwhile :smile: and maybe put in more efforts in writing the PS, or try and get a better reference letter. basically try and put together a better application!

good luck with your decision!
Reply 4
Original post by PhenolphthaleinX
yeah well it's difficult when your parents are the ones forcing you :/ yeah sure it would, since your grades are confirmed and are well above the requirements. remember though if you take a gap year, you'll be expected to write about it in your personal statement so make it worthwhile :smile: and maybe put in more efforts in writing the PS, or try and get a better reference letter. basically try and put together a better application!

good luck with your decision!

thanks very much! I think I am 75% sure that I will take a gap year, if I can find some sort of relevant job or internship, otherwise I won't. Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending