The Student Room Group

Work experience

Would work experience be needed for engineering to gain admission?
Original post by runny4
Would work experience be needed for engineering to gain admission?

It's definitely not needed. I think the general advice for most courses apart from healthcare-related degrees is "If you can get work experience, great, but we're not expecting you to have it". There are other ways of showing your interest if you can't get work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
It's definitely not needed. I think the general advice for most courses apart from healthcare-related degrees is "If you can get work experience, great, but we're not expecting you to have it". There are other ways of showing your interest if you can't get work experience.

The usual advice would be that work experience really doesn't matter, whether you can get it or not. Like you said, you can show interest in other ways and reading some books is more likely to demonstrate an academic interest in the subject you're applying for.
Original post by BJack
The usual advice would be that work experience really doesn't matter, whether you can get it or not. Like you said, you can show interest in other ways and reading some books is more likely to demonstrate an academic interest in the subject you're applying for.

Is it really true that it doesn't matter, at all? I'd completely agree that the simply having had work experience isn't going to give you an advantage, but if you've made good use of that experience then it's going to improve your understanding of that subject. I didn't even mention the work experience I had in my personal statement or to the university but the things I learned from that placement were very valuable in the interviews I had and to my interest in my subject, generally.
You don't need it, and outside reading is often more what the admissions tutor wants to be hearing about - work experience is often more a demonstration of how well your family are connected....
Reply 5
I've actually chatted to tutors about this in the past. You definitely don't need it, as in the end it just shows you can get work experience - but it will give you something to chat about at interview at least (so if you can get some, go for it!). If you can get it, regular and longer term voluntary work somewhere (which isn't so tough to get) would probably be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending